LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 350 users in the forums

Compliments for our Defensive Coordinator

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I just read this article on the National Football Post and stumbled over a little nugget in there that has an interesting take on our defensive playcalling:

Link

Quote:
*Two of the most difficult defensive coordinators to play against are Mike Nolan of the Dolphins and Greg Manusky of the 49ers, according to Mike Martz. The Bears offensive coordinator told me both of them, like the late Jim Johnson, are adept at exposing offensive shortcomings with game plan wrinkles.

Well, that comment is from Mike Martz, who does not exactly have the same offensive mojo now he used to have in his earlier days, but still, I think Mike Martz is a keen offensive football mind and good at analyzing that stuff.

What I found especially interesting is that he not only mentions both Nolan and Manusky (and for example not his current boss, Lovie Smith) but he even makes a comparison of the two guys to the late Jim Johnson, who was terrific as the long-time defensive coordinator for the Eagles.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Nolan
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
When Singletary's time is up as HC, I hope Manusky would be the next up.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
When Singletary's time is up as HC, I hope Manusky would be the next up.

He has what it takes to get the job done IMO.
Both Nolan and Manusky are very good defensive coordinators, Nolan just sucked as an administrator.
I love him. We've had a patch-work secondary with no studs back there and our D is still one of the better units in the league.

[ Edited by LAFortyNinerfan on Aug 22, 2010 at 09:48:28 ]
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Both Nolan and Manusky are very good defensive coordinators, Nolan just sucked as an administrator.

THIS.

I like that Manusky's defense last season had 40-something sacks despite not having any top-level pass-rushers. I think Manny Lawson, the sack leader, only had 6.5 sacks.
Share 49ersWebzone