LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 198 users in the forums

Coffee on CNN in 1 minute

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Originally posted by montana2rice:
Originally posted by frenchmov:
i don't respect glenn coffee anymore than i respect a guy at work who quits. he obviously couldn't hack it in the NFL, that's just the reality of the situation. you think he would have quit if he blew up last year and had 1500 yards and 15 touchdowns? lol.

he just didn't like his job so he's going to go do something else. it's not anymore noble or respectable then any of the other quitters out there.

oh, really?? what are your thoughts about pat tillman then? he did QUIT the NFL and his "noble" job and you could say he "quit" on his teammates too, right?!?!??!?!??!?!!?!?!?!?

well that is my point. why should i have more respect for glenn coffee because god told him to quit football over a pat tillman or anyone else that wants to do something else with his life?

i'm not mad about coffee leaving, i'm just saying he shouldn't get special recognition because he quit playing football to follow something he is more passionate about

i understand your point about recognition of one over the other but just b/c he found something else whether it was due to this "calling" or whatever you want to call it doesn't mean he "quit" on his team or on him or whoever.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
He's a b***h who quit on his team and used religion as an excuse. Why should we support someone like that? Many on the board think he is "man enough" to walk away. If he were a real man, he would do somthing he doesn't want to do for his brothers. PLAY BALL. That is what being a man is all about...doing s**t you don't want to do for your teammates, wife, kids, etc...

If he is so righteous and religious, he should HONOR his contract. He signed his name and made a PROMISE to an organization and his fellow teammates to play football for 4-5 years. If he has any HONOR, he would play out his contract and then retire. Leaving like this screws everyone except for himself. THAT is a selfish person and has no right preaching to others about HONOR and RESPECT. What a bulls**tter. We as fans cannot tollerate that.

Stop defending this selfish selfish kid. He took millions from the Niners and now wants to preach to kids that its ok to quit on your team....for god.

Football....serious business. So many things wrong with your post I don't quite know where to start.

If his heart isn't in it, his heart isn't in it. Would you rather have someone faking it in order to honor the team as you say or to walk away, save the team money and open up a spot for someone who actually has the passion to play. I think that is more honorable and respectful than trying to fake it and collect pay-checks.

He did not "steal" from the team. The team gave him the money because they felt he had what it took to be a succesful football player. The 9ers poorly evaluated him which falls on the shoulders of our own scouting department not on him. In fact, by retiring he actually is doing the opposite of stealing and saving the niners money.

If he wants to preach to kids that they should follow God's call in their life, that's his personal decision. Just because you don't see the value in God doesn't mean that he doesn't have the right to express himself the way he wants. I see nothing wrong with his actions.

[ Edited by AllTimeGreat on Aug 22, 2010 at 02:01:07 ]
y the hell was he on CNN
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
I'm not the least bit religious, but I still have a lot of admiration for what he is doing. I know it is bad for our football team, but as an individual, I think we should all respect him for standing up and doing what he believes in.

Originally posted by Ajanke:
Originally posted by theninermaniac:

living your life for something at least has meaning, and you can discount the truth all you want and believe in your stupid evolution
Here's a news flash for you, Coffee is no longer a 9er, I dont care. Can we please stop with the Coffee threads?
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

living your life for something at least has meaning, and you can discount the truth all you want and believe in your stupid evolution

Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by wailers15:
WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!

Respect his descision. at least he did it in the beginning. stop the madness

I don't respect quitters. He signed a contract, which is a written promise that you shouldn't legally or morally dishonor.

Then you shouldn't watch football, because you don't respect anyone. You don't respect the 49ers, because sometimes they cut or waive a player who they have a contract with. You also don't respect Patrick Willis, because he renegotiated before his contract was up. Contracts in the NFL ate temporary. There are no guarantees on either side that the duration of the contract will be honored.

He didn't want to play, so he did the right thing by leaving.
I respect Coffee for his religious conviction. This all would have set better with me if he did it after the season, or prior to the start of camp. He still has (had) a job to do, and a commitment to his coach and teammates. By quitting after all the OTA's and a few weeks into camp made it look like he couldn't handle Sings camp. If he was with the Seahawks and Carrols camp which is light and low on hitting, would he still be on their team? He should have completed a chapter in his career rather than just walking away. He went through the motions, got in better shape during the offseason by adding more muscle....for what if he knew he was out?

Is there anything in the statement about Christianity that youd like to dispute? It all seems like an accurate description to me. You may not appreciate the language but everything stated in the statement, according to the Bible, is correct.

The statement I posted just highlights a few of the illogical arguments professed by Christians. I know it may unsettle you as a Christian (that was the intent), but I feel like its my duty encourage a more tolerant view of all faiths.

Is there anything in the statement about Christianity that youd like to dispute? It all seems like an accurate description to me. You may not appreciate the language but everything stated in the statement, according to the Bible, is correct.

The statement I posted just highlights a few of the illogical arguments professed by Christians. I know it may unsettle you as a Christian (that was the intent), but I feel like its my duty encourage a more tolerant view of all faiths.

Is your 'Biblical summary' supposed to be an example of the "more tolerant view" you speak of?

This conversation really doesn't belong here. Leave this stuff in the parking lot, because people want to talk about football here not about your view on religion.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I think Coffee would agree with those who felt that he broke a promise to the team. He certainly doesn't seem to think that he should be applauded for his decision. My guess is that he felt that he made the wrong decision in the first place, and should have placed God before the NFL. Since in his mind he made the wrong decision, do you continue walking the path that God did not choose for you, or do you stick to your word, but continue to walk in the wrong path? Coffee apparently felt that it was better to break his word, and get back on the right path. (Note: As a Christian, I can't say I agree with him).

On the breaking your word part, I don't believe, though, that retiring is a breach of contract. While unusual, any player can retire at any time. Of course, the team does rightfully have the chance to try and get much of their signing bonus back.

• fly15
  • Veteran
free coffee for 1 minute...
Share 49ersWebzone