LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

Coffee on CNN in 1 minute

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Look, all this religion excuse stuff is BS. I don't care if you wish to follow a certain religion; but, while you're here on earth, your free will allows you to choose what paths you want to follow. So, don't go blaming this on Jesus or God or Buddha, or whom ever... Man up and say this isn't what YOU want to do; cause even if you think you're having a religions calling, it's up to you to answer it or not (It's your choice not Gods)

He did man up. He went to Sing and apologized for entering the draft and letting the team down. If you have read any of the articles on him you will see that there was a progression where he felt it was his calling to take maximum advantage of his physical talents. As he got better he still felt he was in the wrong place but thought pro ball might turn it around. He gave it everything he had. He was one of the guys who was in the weight room all the time. Finally he just realized he wasn't finding the answer in pro ball so he quit. Ever had a job that felt like that? It is a very normal reaction.

As to free will, Glen Coffee exercised his free will and chose not to play football.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Mex49:
What a non story he is. Slow news day I guess

It is a story, not many guys that have the chance for fame and fortune willingly give it up to become a minister. With all the gangstalicious thugnificiants out there that go the exact opposite way as this kid, I think is it different enough to be considered a human interest story.

The Boondocks, what a great show. "B____'s love smile faces..."
CNN must have nothing else to talk about
Originally posted by Chief:
f**k him, he knew he didn't want to play football, he was greedy and wanted to get paid. I don't blame him, but he is full of s**t.

He let us waste a 3rd round pick and the team spent money on his ass and he knew he would walk away.

Mister Bulls**t.

Coffee was sent from the lawd, to taketh away and give us Westebrooke

can I get a A y meeeeen a?!
Originally posted by joeymac49s:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by wailers15:
WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!

Respect his descision. at least he did it in the beginning. stop the madness

I don't respect quitters. He signed a contract, which is a written promise that you shouldn't legally or morally dishonor.

Do the 49ers respect contracts or higher and fire people on a whim? If his talents weren't good enough they would have cut his ass and left him in the street with nothing. By the way this kid didn't make millions. Look at his contract which he is going to have to pay back. This kid worked for what he got and has to give back what he didn't work for. Your just a bitter person b/c we could have had a better 3rd rd pick. Get over yourself. What about all the moron picks the "higher ups" make but keep their jobs?? He lost interest in college but thought if he was getting paid for it and using it to support his life and family he would regain his interest. It didn't happen and instead of just going thru the motions like MANY NFL players are doing right now he was man enough to go to Sing and say my hearts not in it, get someone in here whos heart is in it. You would have rather the kid play and waste a roster spot knowing he didn't want to be here?? What cracks me up is if this kid did play for 4 more years and totally sucked, then he quit and said after my first year i knew i didn't want to be there... EVERYONE would have hated him and your a moron for even suggesting he should have sucked it up and played.

They do respect contract, and if they have to cut or release someone the players are compensated. Ok, he didn't make millions, he made a lot of money though. I'm a moron for suggesting he should have sucked it up and played? Ok, so maybe everyone should just quit what they are doing because their "heart" is not in it. He should have sucked it up and played. What if he was in the military and one day said "hey, my heart is not in this battle, see ya guys." Yeah right....HE NEEDS TO SUCK IT UP.

If he quit in 4 years after playing s**tty then so be it. At least he played and tried. Don't speculate on what I "would have thought" in 4 years. Right now, he is a chicken s**t who quit for nothing and used god as a cop-out. It sounds like you are a guy who quit on his obligations in the past because "your heart was not it in." You really connect with him huh? You know how it is to quit on your obligations don't you? How many kids you got running around that you are not supporting?

"I quit my job because my heart wasn't in it." "I got a divorce because my heart isn't in it." "I left my teammates because my heart isn't in it" "I quit school because my heart isn't in it"

SUCK IT UP COFFEE. And I hope you get warned for calling me a moron.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:

• Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Look, all this religion excuse stuff is BS. I don't care if you wish to follow a certain religion; but, while you're here on earth, your free will allows you to choose what paths you want to follow. So, don't go blaming this on Jesus or God or Buddha, or whom ever... Man up and say this isn't what YOU want to do; cause even if you think you're having a religions calling, it's up to you to answer it or not (It's your choice not Gods)

you don't understand. the guy's probably a religious zealot. These people actually think they are having conversations with god.
i don't respect glenn coffee anymore than i respect a guy at work who quits. he obviously couldn't hack it in the NFL, that's just the reality of the situation. you think he would have quit if he blew up last year and had 1500 yards and 15 touchdowns? lol.

he just didn't like his job so he's going to go do something else. it's not anymore noble or respectable then any of the other quitters out there.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
i don't respect glenn coffee anymore than i respect a guy at work who quits. he obviously couldn't hack it in the NFL, that's just the reality of the situation. you think he would have quit if he blew up last year and had 1500 yards and 15 touchdowns? lol.

he just didn't like his job so he's going to go do something else. it's not anymore noble or respectable then any of the other quitters out there.

If he did that, I think God would have told him to stay.
WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!

I don't respect quitters. He signed a contract, which is a written promise that you shouldn't legally or morally dishonor.

Do the 49ers respect contracts or higher and fire people on a whim? If his talents weren't good enough they would have cut his ass and left him in the street with nothing. By the way this kid didn't make millions. Look at his contract which he is going to have to pay back. This kid worked for what he got and has to give back what he didn't work for. Your just a bitter person b/c we could have had a better 3rd rd pick. Get over yourself. What about all the moron picks the "higher ups" make but keep their jobs?? He lost interest in college but thought if he was getting paid for it and using it to support his life and family he would regain his interest. It didn't happen and instead of just going thru the motions like MANY NFL players are doing right now he was man enough to go to Sing and say my hearts not in it, get someone in here whos heart is in it. You would have rather the kid play and waste a roster spot knowing he didn't want to be here?? What cracks me up is if this kid did play for 4 more years and totally sucked, then he quit and said after my first year i knew i didn't want to be there... EVERYONE would have hated him and your a moron for even suggesting he should have sucked it up and played.

They do respect contract, and if they have to cut or release someone the players are compensated. Ok, he didn't make millions, he made a lot of money though. I'm a moron for suggesting he should have sucked it up and played? Ok, so maybe everyone should just quit what they are doing because their "heart" is not in it. He should have sucked it up and played. What if he was in the military and one day said "hey, my heart is not in this battle, see ya guys." Yeah right....HE NEEDS TO SUCK IT UP.

If he quit in 4 years after playing s**tty then so be it. At least he played and tried. Don't speculate on what I "would have thought" in 4 years. Right now, he is a chicken s**t who quit for nothing and used god as a cop-out. It sounds like you are a guy who quit on his obligations in the past because "your heart was not it in." You really connect with him huh? You know how it is to quit on your obligations don't you? How many kids you got running around that you are not supporting?

"I quit my job because my heart wasn't in it." "I got a divorce because my heart isn't in it." "I left my teammates because my heart isn't in it" "I quit school because my heart isn't in it"

I have no kids running around and I don't quit on any obligations but to say you wouldn't have been more pissed at this guy if he just went thru the motions then to actually retire is a joke. Most people don't do whats in their heart b/c society tells them something else, you can't stop playing football and give up fame for God, that's just not what society says. Well good for him for not listening to morons (and no i won't get warned b/c you are a moron) and actually doing whats in his heart. You mean to tell me you've finished everything you've ever started?? You never stopped something before completion b/c your heart wasn't in it? We all do it, everyday. This is bigger then the 49ers, bigger then football. Thats why Sing understood and had nothing but good things to say about the kid. How many posts have you written about Balmer? B/c he gave up and he "took his ball and went home" b/c he wasn't happy. If your going to be mad at someone be mad at him. But let me guess, b/c he wasn't very good you don't really care about him???

WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!

I have no kids running around and I don't quit on any obligations but to say you wouldn't have been more pissed at this guy if he just went thru the motions then to actually retire is a joke. Most people don't do whats in their heart b/c society tells them something else, you can't stop playing football and give up fame for God, that's just not what society says. Well good for him for not listening to morons (and no i won't get warned b/c you are a moron) and actually doing whats in his heart. You mean to tell me you've finished everything you've ever started?? You never stopped something before completion b/c your heart wasn't in it? We all do it, everyday. This is bigger then the 49ers, bigger then football. Thats why Sing understood and had nothing but good things to say about the kid. How many posts have you written about Balmer? B/c he gave up and he "took his ball and went home" b/c he wasn't happy. If your going to be mad at someone be mad at him. But let me guess, b/c he wasn't very good you don't really care about him???

BTW, just so everyone knows you've posted on 0 threads talking about Balmer and how he just gave up, if it bothered you so much you should be REALLY pissed at him. Typical hypocrite, b/c Coffee was better then Balmer you care. Now we're really getting to the bottom of the reason why you care so much.
WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!

He's playing a game, man, he's not serving his country. SF's owner isn't his wife, and his ex teammates aren't his kids. Horrible analogy after horrible analogy. I don't know if you ever quit a job before because if you haven't kudos to you because you're one out of a million. We all change careers, we all change jobs.

Football players take risks. You risk permantly damaging your body, you risk damaging your mind. If his heart is not in it I don't blame him for leaving. That's not someone you want on your team either.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Aug 22, 2010 at 00:13:49 ]

oh, really?? what are your thoughts about pat tillman then? he did QUIT the NFL and his "noble" job and you could say he "quit" on his teammates too, right?!?!??!?!??!?!!?!?!?!?
Originally posted by montana2rice:

oh, really?? what are your thoughts about pat tillman then? he did QUIT the NFL and his "noble" job and you could say he "quit" on his teammates too, right?!?!??!?!??!?!!?!?!?!?

well that is my point. why should i have more respect for glenn coffee because god told him to quit football over a pat tillman or anyone else that wants to do something else with his life?

i'm not mad about coffee leaving, i'm just saying he shouldn't get special recognition because he quit playing football to follow something he is more passionate about
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by montana2rice:

well that is my point. why should i have more respect for glenn coffee because god told him to quit football over a pat tillman or anyone else that wants to do something else with his life?

i'm not mad about coffee leaving, i'm just saying he shouldn't get special recognition because he quit playing football to follow something he is more passionate about

I dont think it makes him a quitter either, he's found something better for him than football. A quitter is somebody who leaves during the middle of football season and left his team hanging. Coffee left during the offseason when the niners had the opportunity to fill his position. I dont think he deserves any more recognition than an article stating he has left the building... But he doesnt deserve any name-calling either
Share 49ersWebzone