LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

The 49ers/Cardinals Rivalry: How does it compare?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I remember, Benson, the owner of the Saints calling the 49ers a Mickey Mouse organization when Deion Sanders signed with us, rejecting far more money from the Saints. Falcons, I can't think of a thing. To have a true rivalry, I think you need 2 good teams. The 49ers haven't been good for a while, so I don't think they have any good rivalries right now. In theory, the Cards and the 49ers might be starting one, if both teams can get to 10 wins for a few seasons in a row.
The Cards focus on us because we seem to have their number, but it's more of a faux rivalry manufactured by a couple of their players for motivation. Our greatest rivalry is clearly with the Cowboys, stretching back to those heartbreakers in the early 70's to when we took the crown off their heads in the 80's and then back to when the triplets frustrated us in the 90's. I am personally of the opinion that a rivalry really means nothing if the teams involved aren't very good, and we have yet to prove we are. As far as our division, it's been mostly with the Rams though the Saints and Nines had some great games over the years....
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Don't think it has anything on Cowboys-49ers or Packers-49ers. Unfortunately for us, we got our asses handed to us in both of them.

We really should have had ONE more SB in the 90s...damnit.

Between the 80's and 90's probably 3 more at least
Originally posted by fryet:
To have a true rivalry, I think you need 2 good teams.

I disagree. Even when the Redskins are AWFUL, their matchups with the Cowboys are intense and mean everything. I think a definition of a true rivalry is when the teams play full-on 100% even when their season is in the tank because they hate the opposing team.

With that said, i agree we aren't to a point of a "true rivalry" with the Cardinals, but the atmosphere is definitely heating up and i think with all the off-the-field talk going on this could be the year that it really gets going.
We'll see when they play each other.

With all of this so called animosity , this looks more and more like pr instinct by the teams.

If they all hug it out and smile at each other whispering sweet nothings, don't be disappointed.

'' WTF is that? Gore and VD chopping it up with Dockett? Weak.''

If a fight breaks out , then we'll know it's on like neckbone, sucka
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Yeah..we beat their ass over and over again and plus we straight mollywopped them on MNF so it means more to them than to us.

I don't like em cuz they talk to much trash but I think rivalries are born in the playoffs and not the regular season.
  • Mex49
Originally posted by WINiner:
I think it means more to the Cards than it does the Niners.

Way more to them. They have set themselves up for a long painful season
Over the last thirty years, our big rivals have been outside our division; Cowboys, Bears, Giants, and Packers. Our only real division rivalry has been the Rams because no other team in the NFC West has sustained success. I think the Rams rivalry has lost a little ever since they moved to St. Louis. It does seem like a good rivalry is building with the Cardinals and Seahawks.
Don't think it has anything on Cowboys-49ers or Packers-49ers. Unfortunately for us, we got our asses handed to us in both of them.

This..

I don't consider this as a rivalry yet because there's no sense of history due to the relatively recent realignment of divisions. It has only surfaced due to the recent gum flapping by a few fat Cards who will be put in their rightful place at least two more times this coming season.

Originally posted by WINiner:
I think it means more to the Cards than it does the Niners.

Probably since it's the first rivalry the Cards have ever really had.
Originally posted by kidash:

This..

If Hearst doesn't get injured in the playoffs, there is no question we would have.
Originally posted by fryet:
I remember, Benson, the owner of the Saints calling the 49ers a Mickey Mouse organization when Deion Sanders signed with us, rejecting far more money from the Saints. Falcons, I can't think of a thing. To have a true rivalry, I think you need 2 good teams. The 49ers haven't been good for a while, so I don't think they have any good rivalries right now. In theory, the Cards and the 49ers might be starting one, if both teams can get to 10 wins for a few seasons in a row.

The only thing with the Falcons was some trash talking between Jerry Rice and Andre "Bad Moon" Rison. But that really isn't a team rivalry.

I agree with a true rivalry needing to be between two good teams. There is a difference between a "Division Rival" and a "Rivalry". The Saints didn't win a single playoff game the whole time they were in our division, and didn't even have a winning season until like 1986 or 1987.

Rams because of the LA/San Fran days...Cowboys and Packers because of the playoff battles...those are the 49er rivalries for any fan that's been around for awhile! :)
With all this s**t talking they're doing I hope we blow them out of the water twice
Share 49ersWebzone