LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

All Eyes On Nate Davis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by cNiner:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I don't know how people are going to try and defend a guy that won't even put in the time in the off season to improve himself. One thing I cannot abide is a guy getting paid millions of dollars that will not work for it. This is disturbing news for me, I would have thought he would take a chance at a career in the NFL a little more serious.

I cannot like a guy got paid millions and can't play qb , like Alex Smith ! even if he puts in hundreds of hours in the offseason !

Why are you taking it personally? Smith has nothing to do with Nate's work ethic.
Originally posted by pantstickle:
I don't know how people are going to try and defend a guy that won't even put in the time in the off season to improve himself. One thing I cannot abide is a guy getting paid millions of dollars that will not work for it. This is disturbing news for me, I would have thought he would take a chance at a career in the NFL a little more serious.

I cannot like a guy got paid millions and can't play qb , like Alex Smith ! even if he puts in hundreds of hours in the offseason !

Why are you taking it personally? Smith has nothing to do with Nate's work ethic.
Great, more Alexcuses
Originally posted by 5280High:
It seems that people are perceiving everything Davis did based off their viewpoint on another QB.

Davis' problems stem from his lack of commitment during the offseason. The reason why Alex is still on this team (regardless of your view of him) is due to his work ethic, no one can point to him and say he hasn't tried, despite whatever views of his talent maybe.

Davis has had a year now to get his nose in the playbook and learn it up and down, but he hasn't, he's waited to training camp to work his ass off. This isn't a college final, you can't just cram two weeks before to play an NFL QB. If he had shown this commitment to learning, then he would be the #2 right now without any question.

He makes great plays when plays break down... but how much of those plays break down cause he doesn't make the right reads, or doesn't read the defense correctly and holds onto the ball? He also threw high and inaccurate this game... a trait we know all to well. He hung receivers out to dry and it costs us Byham for the rest of the game and possibly the next game. If he commits himself he can easily compete with Alex for the starting job, but he hasn't yet, so to use an argument I've heard recently... If he hasnt done it yet, why do you think that would change?

Wait a minute. You have no proof what so ever of Davis' alleged lack of commitment. Moreover, it has taken Alex just as long if not longer to command the playbook and he has had far more actual reps to do so.

And although I agree with you that Davis was off the mark wit some of his passes, I know that you are not trying to compare his accuracy with Smith's whose inaccuracy is the reason why Crabtree was injured and not playing. Even Davis' pass to Bynum was partially off because Bynum slowed down after making his cut.

Bottom line, you are misrepresenting Davis .
I really think coach sing Is trying to motivate him like he did VD.

It's not like Nate is pulling a jamrcus Russell.

last year he did good he defnitally played for what his contract was worth if he played whole season he wouldve had 27 tds which wouldve been in the top 10
Originally posted by ttime1:
It seems that people are perceiving everything Davis did based off their viewpoint on another QB.

Davis' problems stem from his lack of commitment during the offseason. The reason why Alex is still on this team (regardless of your view of him) is due to his work ethic, no one can point to him and say he hasn't tried, despite whatever views of his talent maybe.

Davis has had a year now to get his nose in the playbook and learn it up and down, but he hasn't, he's waited to training camp to work his ass off. This isn't a college final, you can't just cram two weeks before to play an NFL QB. If he had shown this commitment to learning, then he would be the #2 right now without any question.

He makes great plays when plays break down... but how much of those plays break down cause he doesn't make the right reads, or doesn't read the defense correctly and holds onto the ball? He also threw high and inaccurate this game... a trait we know all to well. He hung receivers out to dry and it costs us Byham for the rest of the game and possibly the next game. If he commits himself he can easily compete with Alex for the starting job, but he hasn't yet, so to use an argument I've heard recently... If he hasnt done it yet, why do you think that would change?

Wait a minute. You have no proof what so ever of Davis' alleged lack of commitment. Moreover, it has taken Alex just as long if not longer to command the playbook and he has had far more actual reps to do so.

And although I agree with you that Davis was off the mark wit some of his passes, I know that you are not trying to compare his accuracy with Smith's whose inaccuracy is the reason why Crabtree was injured and not playing. Even Davis' pass to Bynum was partially off because Bynum slowed down after making his cut.

Proof of alleged lack of commitment.

The guy that "can't play" clearly outplayed Davis last night, man you got it bad don't you?

As long as we're comparing the two, why look at just a snapshot of one game (and Davis' game, while not great, was far from bad). Over the two preseason games so far...

Alex Smith 12 for 22 and 125 yards - first round draft pick, the majority of the reps in practice, and several years of experience playing in real games.

Nate Davis: 12-22 and 198 yards - 5th round draft pick, very few reps in practice, and only preseason experience (even spent the season last year playing defense on the scout team).

Seems to me, that neither is clearly better. They have different strengths and weaknesses.
So the "haters" are not inherently myopic... they are selectively myopic... haha, gotcha.
Originally posted by mrgneissguy:

The guy that "can't play" clearly outplayed Davis last night, man you got it bad don't you?

As long as we're comparing the two, why look at just a snapshot of one game (and Davis' game, while not great, was far from bad). Over the two preseason games so far...

Alex Smith 12 for 22 and 125 yards - first round draft pick, the majority of the reps in practice, and several years of experience playing in real games.

Nate Davis: 12-22 and 198 yards - 5th round draft pick, very few reps in practice, and only preseason experience (even spent the season last year playing defense on the scout team).

Seems to me, that neither is clearly better. They have different strengths and weaknesses.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I will take the guy that puts in the extra work over the guy that tries to get by on athleticism alone. Last night, Smith was clearly the better quarterback on the field. if you do not believe what I say about his work ethic, check out pantstickle's link above.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

last year he did good he defnitally played for what his contract was worth if he played whole season he wouldve had 27 tds which wouldve been in the top 10

Not this top 10 again. He also would have been close to the league lead in ints.

I love Nate Davis but he didnt show it last night, rushed to many throws. Hopefully he gets another half next week and responds to sings criticisms.

leave him, alone, pants!

Originally posted by LeadFarmer:

Not this top 10 again. He also would have been close to the league lead in ints.

I love Nate Davis but he didnt show it last night, rushed to many throws. Hopefully he gets another half next week and responds to sings criticisms.

i never said he was a top 10 qb i said top 10 (acually top 8) in tds i didnt say he had a steller or even great campain last year i said he had a good campain definitally enough for him to be given another chance and if he played like he did last year ( hopefully a fewer tipped passes) we can go pretty deep in the playoffs

That's not proof of lackof commitment. What he said is that he did not know but that he wants him to do even more. Earleir accounts have indicated that he has spent a great deal of time during the off-season to learn the postion and plays. Do you actually think that he would still be on the team if he was unmotivated? Do you think that he would even be getting reps? It is clear that Sing is trying to motivate him to do more; not thathe has not done anything.
[ Edited by ttime1 on Aug 23, 2010 at 10:46 AM ]
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:

i never said he was a top 10 qb i said top 10 (acually top 8) in tds i didnt say he had a steller or even great campain last year i said he had a good campain definitally enough for him to be given another chance and if he played like he did last year ( hopefully a fewer tipped passes) we can go pretty deep in the playoffs

I don't hate Smith i just feel like his ceiling is Kyle Orton status. Alex is our best QB right now but I believe Davis will be the better QB in the future if given the chance

Proof??

"Right now, Nate Davis is working his tail off to try and learn the system," Singletary said. "But in the offseason, that's when you take the time to get that done. And I'm not sure how hard he worked this offseason to get that done...The offseason, in the mini-camps, that's when you have to get that done, that's when you have to stay up and drive the coaches crazy, and look at film, and ask all the questions you possibly can, and I'm not sure that he did that."

Davis, informed of Singletary's remarks, said, "Yes, I did work hard in the summer, but it showed that I should have worked harder..."

I don't see proof in there at all. First off, Singletary did not say "He did not", he said "I'm not sure he did that", subtle but very distinct difference. And someone without any work ethic wouldn't be "working his tail off to try and learn the system" now. Worse case, Davis underestimated the effect of trying to balance his family life (he does have a young daughter) with studying the playbook. And personally I think a lot of the mistakes being talked about (defensive reads and protections) are things that are better learned from experience on the field.

IF you want to really read into what Singletary was saying...if he knows or feels that Davis has a commitment problem, then I'm pretty sure he would have been more definitive. I don't see him pulling any punches for anybody, much less the 3rd string QB. And if we take what he said literally, that he isn't sure, then that really kind of worries me. As I would think that the head coach would know those things about one of the QBs on his roster. Maybe not first hand, but by reports from the other coaches on staff at least.
Share 49ersWebzone