There are 168 users in the forums

All Eyes On Nate Davis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by Canadian49er:
I think you should all stick to Madden

Nate blew protection calls and apparently does not have a good work ethic in the offseason...yet you want him to replace Alex as our starter because he threw the ball far on one play against 3rd stringers.

Say what you want about A.S. but he still light years ahead of Nate in terms of a complete game.

Put down the controller
Alex should be years ahead, 4 years to be exact, plus has been allowed to grow, by actually playing, but lets us be honest Davis has shown more than Alex has. Perhaps you should put down the madden controller. I'll be honest Nate is not ready yet. However, to say he blew the protection calls and its all on him is like blaming or giving to much credit for everything on the the president. First it is the center's responsibility for making the line adjustments. It is the QBs reposibility to know the protection and make adjustments if necessary, but if the other side disguises the defense it can be missed.

Alex played a good game tonight, but he needs consistency. I guess not everyone was watching the game tonight, I had to tape it and watch it later so I could go rewind and see what happened. This is what I saw, 1st drive two catchable ball were dropped, one because dixon was looking to go upfield before he secured the ball and ginn turned and didn't expect the ball to get there that fast. But like the announcers for the game said those balls should have been caught. Then he ran but was short, dived to quick, his bad, but when you don't play in games, you will make those mistakes, key is he learns from them.

The throw that nailed Bynham, just slightly high(alex has thrown worst-and I am talking last year and this preseason) but it was catchable, just the defense was in good position, listen if you run a slant or something similar this is going to happen when receivers go over the middle, the problem if you the game again is that Saftey never cleared out of the error, so that means either the play was designed badly-rayes fault, or the other wr never made the safety bite and clear the area. I can't tell as they didn't show the whole field.

On the two mises in the end zone, ginn should have broken outside to the corner. The other was because the defense broke thru and he had to get rid of it. I'm surprised people don't also realize that the Vikes also knew that the niners want to look at Davis earlier, so that means they knew that when the niners put him in they were going to pass more.

I am not denying that I myself like Davis's potential, but I realize that he needs more seasoning. I want to give Alex a chance and see if he can do it, if not then give the next guy a chance, unless you get a Brady or a Brees in free agent, even drafting a guy high is not going to work and you have to wait the usual three years, majority of QBs are like that. They are all niners, so all you Davis Haters who I know are Alex backers are you so enamored with smith or threatened by Davis because he is a threat to your man crush?

Singletary is doing to Davis (giving him the cold shoulder) to light a fire under him like he did VD. Did you watch the game? Sing was miked and told him after the first series, its your time, its your time, make something happen, what does he do escapes being sacked after a dlineman breaks through from blown blocking assignment and lauches a 65 bomb on the run.

I will now step down from my high horse

Davis played well but he did alot of things that you guys would knock Alex on. Also on that bomb, he wasn't on the run. He did run first to avoid a sack, then set his feet and launched. An average fan would think he was on the run and especially someone that is rooting for one guy over the other would see it that way as well. Watch it again and you'll see, that he set his feet before he threw it.
[ Edited by baybreaker707 on Aug 23, 2010 at 9:31 AM ]
Originally posted by skynet907:
Originally posted by hofer36:
nate davis big problem is that he does not show up well in a structured offense, he mostly makes plays when things break down or he improvises...singletary/raye want a nfl qb who plays within their system, as do most, if not all, nfl teams

if what nate davis does worked on a consistent basis, these qbs up in canada would be making a living in the usa

his biggest problem is that he is dumb as a box of rocks, dyslexic, and can't even learn the playbook after it has been color coded to suit his lack of brain function.

reflexes are great to supplement a great QB, but they aren't the base of a great QB.

Public education.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He doesn't even know the offense and doesn't study or work hard in the offseason... Plus he was largely inconsistent in preseason game #2. He had one big bomb he connected on. Other than that where was the consistency? There were plenty of bad throws in there.

You guys are dreaming if you think he is ready to play now. This season sinks and swims on Alex Smith.

Originally posted by baybreaker707:
Davis played well but he did alot of things that you guys would knock Alex on...

OK, I'm not saying he's ready to play now. But let's put this in perspective here. He was inconsistent, yes. But he also made some very, very nice throws. He didn't make any bad decisions with his throws. He looked very good in some plays, and made a couple of bad throws. He was average.

That, to me, sounds an awful like what the so called Alex Smith haters say about Alex Smith. I am one of those that am not a big fan of Smith (though I thought he played very well yesterday). The perspective part is this. Smith has been in the league for a number of years now. Smith has experience being a starter. Smith gets the majority of the reps in practice, and gets the first team reps in the preseason.

Davis is in his second year, got very few reps at all in last year's training camp, saw some preseason play time late in games against lower level competition last year, spent the season playing defense on the scout team, and spent this training camp still getting only third string reps. Yet you can describe his performance in much the same manner as you can describe many of Smith's performances.

What I saw last night was not a great half from Davis. But I've seen worse halves from starting QBs in the league. Smith just had one a week ago. Davis was mostly average with a couple of bad throws, and some really good throws. Considering the amount of reps he actually gets, I'd say that average performance was pretty damn nice.
[ Edited by mrgneissguy on Aug 23, 2010 at 9:47 AM ]
Originally posted by 5280High:
It seems that people are perceiving everything Davis did based off their viewpoint on another QB.

Davis' problems stem from his lack of commitment during the offseason. The reason why Alex is still on this team (regardless of your view of him) is due to his work ethic, no one can point to him and say he hasn't tried, despite whatever views of his talent maybe.

Davis has had a year now to get his nose in the playbook and learn it up and down, but he hasn't, he's waited to training camp to work his ass off. This isn't a college final, you can't just cram two weeks before to play an NFL QB. If he had shown this commitment to learning, then he would be the #2 right now without any question.

He makes great plays when plays break down... but how much of those plays break down cause he doesn't make the right reads, or doesn't read the defense correctly and holds onto the ball? He also threw high and inaccurate this game... a trait we know all to well. He hung receivers out to dry and it costs us Byham for the rest of the game and possibly the next game. If he commits himself he can easily compete with Alex for the starting job, but he hasn't yet, so to use an argument I've heard recently... If he hasnt done it yet, why do you think that would change?
That's exactly why he has alot of plays that breakdown, he simply can't make the right read at times because he has not put the work in.
Nate Davis:

Major Flaw: Lack of work ethic. It was disappointing hearing that.

Major Upside: Damn he looked good in between the whistles for a 2nd year QB who has barely played against the higher level competition.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Joecool:
Nate Davis:

Major Upside: Damn he looked good in between the whistles for a 2nd year QB who has barely played against the higher level competition.

A lot of talented players have never started in the NFL because of a lack of work ethic (a reflection of our society in general).

He did make a couple of plays but we don't know how much confusion he created by being uncertain about things in the huddle and not knowing the proper adjustments. Singletary seemed to imply that was a problem.

You have to like the kid for his athletic ability but if he can't lead the team, both by play and example, he may never see the field in a league game.

Seeing that Nate played DB on the scout team during last season, how's he supposed to develop with a lack of snaps at QB? He may not make the right reads or adjustments yet, but he was still able to improvise and move the offense yesterday. Unless Sing's trying to challenge or motivate Nate, I don't see a reason for such seemingly harsh criticism in the media.
Originally posted by dj43:
Nate Davis:

A lot of talented players have never started in the NFL because of a lack of work ethic (a reflection of our society in general).

He did make a couple of plays but we don't know how much confusion he created by being uncertain about things in the huddle and not knowing the proper adjustments. Singletary seemed to imply that was a problem.

You have to like the kid for his athletic ability but if he can't lead the team, both by play and example, he may never see the field in a league game.

He also doesn't appear to be in prime condition. Nate being a starter in the NFL will all be on him and I'm sure Alex isn't going to try and prime him to be a starter. Nate will need a mentor type or something.

Imagine how good he would have looked if he had himself 100% prepared. What a waste so far.
Nate Davis was given a chance to show what he can do in a Nationally Televised game, and I thought he took the most of his oppurtunity. He is definetly making a case that he deserves to play in the NFL, and should be looked at as a future QB with a team. My co-worker, who doesn't even like the 49ers sent me a text asking if Davis had a shot at becoming the starting QB. I always enjoy watching Nate play, I'm just not convinced he could have those same results in a regular season game, and I'm hoping we don't get a chance to find out this year, unless he is playing in like Week 17 after we have already made the playoffs.
I don't know how people are going to try and defend a guy that won't even put in the time in the off season to improve himself. One thing I cannot abide is a guy getting paid millions of dollars that will not work for it. This is disturbing news for me, I would have thought he would take a chance at a career in the NFL a little more serious.
[ Edited by Memphis9er on Aug 23, 2010 at 10:14 AM ]

• dj43
Originally posted by dj43:
Nate Davis:

He also doesn't appear to be in prime condition. Nate being a starter in the NFL will all be on him and I'm sure Alex isn't going to try and prime him to be a starter. Nate will need a mentor type or something.

Imagine how good he would have looked if he had himself 100% prepared. What a waste so far.
I seem to recall Smith having some contact with him in OTAs in helping him with the playbook.

I have worked with a couple of legitimately dyslexic kids in my time, and several others who reported to be "dyslexic" or ADHD, and they could all be described in one word - lazy.

Too many kids grow up with their parents making excuses for them instead of teaching them proper discipline. As a result, they fail. I'm not saying that is the case with Davis because I have zero knowledge of his earlier life. However, my experience suggests that may fit his situation.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I don't know how people are going to try and defend a guy that won't even put in the time in the off season to improve himself. One thing I cannot abide is a guy getting paid millions of dollars that will not work for it. This is disturbing news for me, I would have thought he would take a chance at a career in the NFL a little more serious.

Can't expect everyone to want to be the best. It's a shame though, because he has a ton of potential.

I cannot like a guy got paid millions and can't play qb , like Alex Smith ! even if he puts in hundreds of hours in the offseason !
Originally posted by cNiner:

I cannot like a guy got paid millions and can't play qb , like Alex Smith ! even if he puts in hundreds of hours in the offseason !

I cannot like a guy who has potential but fails to put the extra work to capitalize on that potential and possibly earn millions of dollars.
Originally posted by cNiner:

The guy that "can't play" clearly outplayed Davis last night, man you got it bad don't you?
Share 49ersWebzone