There are 297 users in the forums

All Eyes On Nate Davis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mug0mug:
Solid performance.

He continues to show that he has the instincts and physical ability.

However, had he not had the amazing bomb to Ginn, the reviews would've been much more tempered and lackluster. That said, he did make the throw. Impressive.

I wouldt say solid. It was alright. The bomb was a great throw but he was hit and miss the rest of the way. But as you said, he does have some natural physical ability. Still needs work on harnessing it.
Honestly both quarterbacks did a decent job tonight. There were a few miscommunications on Nate's run, but most of all i was happy to see Alex come out on his first drive, look comfortable and put six on the board against first stringers. Nate has a hell of a cannon and did a great job for a 6th round pick in his second year. I feel real good having him as a backup. If he had Vernon, Crabtree and Gore I can only imagine for now what Nate can really do. I dont get how anyone can be disappointed with Nate's performance, he wow'd me and everyone watchin NBC, with that run and precise throws along with a qb vision that has plenty of potential that has yet to be tapped. Funny how Nate tried to chase down that cb tho.Glad we roughed up favre. Wanted a concussion but oh well. Great friggin game!!!!
Not saying he's Favre, but if you were around back then, the Packer fans (and the head coach) were saying the same thing about him as they're saying about Davis. Cannon for an arm, great presence in the pocket, natural QB instincts and amazing ability to hit on big plays, but he drove everyone crazy! He was like a wild bronco, just running wild, doing stupid things, not knowing the plays, forgetting the basics and just playing on feel.

As Favre settled down and started to believe in Holmgren's system, things started taking off for him. The rest is history.

Again, perspective is needed here. If you can't see the gifts Davis has, you don't know football. However, if you know football, you also realize that Davis is still a few years away from really being able to perform consistently in the NFL. If he studies hard and gets the offense down, the sky is the limit for him. But that will take awhile, so patience is needed here.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Aug 22, 2010 at 9:38 PM ]
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Not saying he's Favre, but if you were around back then, the Packer fans (and the head coach) were saying the same thing about him as they're saying about Davis. Cannon for an arm, great presence in the pocket, natural QB instincts and amazing ability to hit on big plays, but he drove every one crazy! He was like a wild bronco, just running wild, doing stupid things, not knowing the plays, forgetting the basics and just playing on feel.

Again, perspective is needed here. If you can't see the gifts Davis has, you don't know football. However, if you know football, you also realize that Davis is still a few years away from really being able to perform consistently in the NFL. If he studies hard and gets the offense down, the sky is the limit for him. But that will take awhile, so patience is needed here.

agreed 110%
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Not saying he's Favre, but if you were around back then, the Packer fans (and the head coach) were saying the same thing about him as they're saying about Davis. Cannon for an arm, great presence in the pocket, natural QB instincts and amazing ability to hit on big plays, but he drove everyone crazy! He was like a wild bronco, just running wild, doing stupid things, not knowing the plays, forgetting the basics and just playing on feel.

As Favre settled down and started to believe in Holmgren's system, things started taking off for him. The rest is history.

Nice post. Davis shows so much promise and its obvious he has the skills to play QB in this league. I was really happy that he got a full half of play. He made some excellent throws and quite frankly I was excited to see him get a real chance tonight.
Originally posted by valrod33:
MaioccoCSN One thing apparent after this game: Nate Davis is not competing for the backup job. Mike Singletary very disappointed in Davis.

MaioccoCSN Singletary questioned Nate Davis' work ethic. Davis, admittedly, blew several protection calls in this game.

Its a little misleading. There talking about his offseason work ethic, basically told Davis an NFL QB needs to be doing the stuff hes doing in training camp all year round. Hounding the coaches etc...

I think its a good thing for Davis. Why are the coaches so interested and disappointed in the 3rd string QB? They obviously see something in him
I think you should all stick to Madden

Nate blew protection calls and apparently does not have a good work ethic in the offseason...yet you want him to replace Alex as our starter because he threw the ball far on one play against 3rd stringers.

Say what you want about A.S. but he still light years ahead of Nate in terms of a complete game.

Put down the controller
Originally posted by Canadian49er:

Nate blew protection calls and apparently does not have a good work ethic in the offseason...yet you want him to replace Alex as our starter because he threw the ball far on one play against 3rd stringers.

Say what you want about A.S. but he still light years ahead of Nate in terms of a complete game.

Put down the controller

Originally posted by NickSh49:

Put down the controller

QB Nate Davis' Game 2 Highlights vs Vikings

He played well. Not ready to be #1, but glad he's getting #2 snaps.

Put down the controller

Yeah Madden is so arcade and horrible. Nate did ok and has tons of potential. I wouldn't mind him being #2. Alex was lights out on that first drive and wasn't given much of chance to do anything when were deep in our own territory. He also could've used some help from Ginn on that high pass. Collinsworth even stated that had that been Crabtree, he would've caught it. The thing that bothers me most, is how horrible and predictable our play calling became after the first drive. Let's hope they open it up and attack during the regular season when and if we have the lead vs. our opponents.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
too be honest except for that one cannon of a throw by nate ( which was a thing of beauty) he didnt have that great of a game he did a lot better last week

again like I said in the other thread

what are you talking about, he made more than one play....from basic accurate passes to PA passes to a key 1st down run.....

he had a couple of inaccurate passess...like the one to Ziegler that flew way over his head, but didn't put the team in a bad situation, and for the most part found the open man...even with pass rush in his face...

later on in the game although he was playing scrubs he also had to play along with some as well...it goes both ways....he did a good job driving the team in more than on situation....and had one miss communication with Ginn that could've been a TD in the back of the endzone.

• fan49
  • Veteran
his bomb to ginn... look at bottom of willis sack.
[ Edited by fan49 on Aug 22, 2010 at 10:21 PM ]
Originally posted by fan49:
his bomb to ginn... look at bottom of willis sack. Can't miss play pre- week 2

i lol'd
Share 49ersWebzone