Alex Smith Extension?

Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by SF4EVA:
An extension will depend on 2 things.
1. IF he take us into the playoffs. The only thing that should stop this tem from winning will be this team.
2. is the a better FA out there for us to grab?

fixed.

a QB can't play all 22 positions on the field. That is why it is called a team sport.

A QB is ALSO considered a LEADER. good QB's like Peyton Manning are what get teams like the Colts to the playoffs. QB's that have control of the offense, to make the necessary adjustments or audibles. Even play calls. We have a great TEAM, that is currently relying ON the QB to get them to the playoffs. All the pieces are in place, it now falls on Alex Smith. The guy who's position it is to DELIVER the ball to his teammates accurately and efficiently. The guy who's job is to march the TEAM down the field, keeping our defense off giving them a rest. The guy who's job is on the line IF he does NOT get this team to the playoffs this season.

Like I said a QB can't do everything. The other players have to do their part as well. This means that the O-Line must block, The receivers must catch and the defense must stop the opposing offenses.

The QB must also be able to throw the ball accurately in order for the receivers to have a fair chance at catching. The QB must also be able to hand the ball off securely. The QB must also be able to read the defense and make the right adjustments, whether it be calling an audible, adjusting receiver routes, or changing up protection. Most importantly, a QB must also be able to protect the football and not turn it over.

Of course everything you said is right. Because it's obvious... Whether you like it or not, this season falls on Alex Smith. if he plays at least, or just DECENT, this team will make the post season. No question. If he plays like "same 'ol Alex", then we won't. Know why? Because if you put a QB like Aaron Rogers, or Drew Brees, or Peyton Manning in as the 49ers QB, no question the 49ers are an elite playoff team. But with Alex Smith, they're not. I am an Alex Smith believer. Before that Texan's game, I called Alex an interception machine. Thought he was garbage. But ever since that game I've become a true believe in him now.

Inevitably, he just has to play well. You'll read it anywhere. You'll read the same thing. This time around, it all falls on the QB this season for the 49ers. It's make or break this season for Alex.

I'm pretty sure everyone in the world knows that this is a do or die season for Smith. Yes there is a portion of the game that falls on the QB's shoulders. But if the defense doesn't do their part and prevent opposing teams from scoring 30+ points then that limits the ability for "Smith" to win the game. This conversation can keep going on and on because winning a game never falls on just one person, it falls on the entire team. Now losing can fall on one person, for example does the name "Roman" sound familiar? *shudders*
1. IF he take us into the playoffs. The only thing that should stop this tem from winning will be this team.

fixed.

a QB can't play all 22 positions on the field. That is why it is called a team sport.

A QB is ALSO considered a LEADER. good QB's like Peyton Manning are what get teams like the Colts to the playoffs. QB's that have control of the offense, to make the necessary adjustments or audibles. Even play calls. We have a great TEAM, that is currently relying ON the QB to get them to the playoffs. All the pieces are in place, it now falls on Alex Smith. The guy who's position it is to DELIVER the ball to his teammates accurately and efficiently. The guy who's job is to march the TEAM down the field, keeping our defense off giving them a rest. The guy who's job is on the line IF he does NOT get this team to the playoffs this season.

Like I said a QB can't do everything. The other players have to do their part as well. This means that the O-Line must block, The receivers must catch and the defense must stop the opposing offenses.

The QB must also be able to throw the ball accurately in order for the receivers to have a fair chance at catching. The QB must also be able to hand the ball off securely. The QB must also be able to read the defense and make the right adjustments, whether it be calling an audible, adjusting receiver routes, or changing up protection. Most importantly, a QB must also be able to protect the football and not turn it over.

Of course everything you said is right. Because it's obvious... Whether you like it or not, this season falls on Alex Smith. if he plays at least, or just DECENT, this team will make the post season. No question. If he plays like "same 'ol Alex", then we won't. Know why? Because if you put a QB like Aaron Rogers, or Drew Brees, or Peyton Manning in as the 49ers QB, no question the 49ers are an elite playoff team. But with Alex Smith, they're not. I am an Alex Smith believer. Before that Texan's game, I called Alex an interception machine. Thought he was garbage. But ever since that game I've become a true believe in him now.

Inevitably, he just has to play well. You'll read it anywhere. You'll read the same thing. This time around, it all falls on the QB this season for the 49ers. It's make or break this season for Alex.

I'm pretty sure everyone in the world knows that this is a do or die season for Smith. Yes there is a portion of the game that falls on the QB's shoulders. But if the defense doesn't do their part and prevent opposing teams from scoring 30+ points then that limits the ability for "Smith" to win the game. This conversation can keep going on and on because winning a game never falls on just one person, it falls on the entire team. Now losing can fall on one person, for example does the name "Roman" sound familiar? *shudders*

The 49er defense is solid. No matter how you put it all eyes are still on Smith.

fixed.

Alex can also play safety or LB.

fixed.

The 49er defense is solid. No matter how you put it all eyes are still on Smith.

I think the defense is pretty good, but I wouldn't put it as solid. Other than Willis, the 49ers don't have another dominant playmaker. That missing factor hurt the 49ers greatly in games against the Falcons, the Titans, the Eagles, and the Vikings last season. I'm still not sure the defense can effectively deal with WCO schemes, or a highly mobile QB. The game against Rodgers and the Packers will show if the defense had improved.
  • dwett
  • Veteran

fixed.

This is well stated. We have the talent to win the west and make the playoffs. The only question mark is on the QB play. The only thing I hope is that the Niners allow Smith to either become the star we all hope for or fail. Calling draws on 2nd and 12 is not the answer. If the Niners are committed to Smith then let the man play. Quit protecting him. Give him the ball and lets see what he can do.
Share 49ersWebzone