There are 143 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is our defense stunting the offense's development?

I don't think anyone would disagree with the statement: The 49ers defense is better and more mature than the offense. The defense has been working in this system since 2007, whereas the offense has been working in there's since 2009. At the same time, I think with our most recent draft, an argument could be made that the offense now has more talent than the defense, but that is for another conversation.

Anyhow, is it possible to think that the 49ers defense is so good, that it is keeping the offense from getting into any kind of rhythm, and in turn allowing their confidence to grow? Of course having key starters out isn't helping the offense, but it seems quite obvious that the offense is getting schooled on a daily basis by Manusky's crew.

The good news is that this preparation should pay dividends at some point, but I wouldn't be surprised if it also caused our offense to get off to a slower start than it might, if say, they were practicing against the Rams defense on a daily basis.

Has anyone been to practice? I'd like to hear what the fans think. The reporters seem to write about the same exact things on a daily basis so I'm not sure I have a big or clear enough picture to form any true assessment of what is happening in camp.
no.

sorry for being short, im not short, im 6'2, i just meant, no. the defense is not stunting the growth, imo
  • PaulW
  • Veteran
1st team offense generally practices against 2nd/3rd team defense while 1st team defense generally practices against 2nd/3rd string offense. The backups and reserves mimic the upcoming opponent to get them ready for what they're going to face. So no, the defense is not stunting the offense's development. I do like your screen name though, Vonnegut was great.

[ Edited by PaulW on Aug 18, 2010 at 19:49:03 ]
Originally posted by whiskywarlord:
no.

sorry for being short, im not short, im 6'2, i just meant, no. the defense is not stunting the growth, imo

lol
If our defense was stunting the offenses growth then the offense would look amazing during games, and it looks like it needs work.
noez
Nope.

The offense is just overrated on the 49ersWZ. The line has a bunch of young guys in transition and the QB is very inconsistent. So it's not as high powered as people believe and I don't expect it to be all season long quite frankly.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
If our defense was stunting the offenses growth then the offense would look amazing during games, and it looks like it needs work.

ya know... I don't think you know what stunting means...lol

Anyway the answer is no. If anything it makes them better.
Yeah, uh... no. It doesn't work like that, bro.
not much the offense was doing good before remember alex played without crabtree and vernon his top 2 targets and our best players in the recieving end
Originally posted by NinerGM:

WHAT THE f**k LUL
Is the defense stunting the offense's development?

Hmmm......

No, Jimmy Raye is.
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Is the defense stunting the offense's development?

Hmmm......

No, Jimmy Raye is.
Alex's inaccuracy is stunting the offensive development not to mention hurting our players. His overthrows already hurt Crabtree and Vernon and almost got D walker laid out on that high pass into triple coverage. The frustrating thing is he can be accurate at times and other times he makes some horrible trows. Jimmy Raye said today that he already knows Nate can hit a wide open WR but needs to see how he plays while they are covered. The sad part is we don't really know if Alex can hit our WRs when they are wide open all of the time.