LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

Is Baas permanent answer at center?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Baas permanent answer at center?

Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Doing research to debunk the myth that Heitmann is a liability on third and short situations. Here is something for the critics to munch on:

2009 NFL Season 3rd down rushes between 1-3 yards
Team Conversions Attempts %
49ers 15 22 0.682
Bears 22 36 0.611
Bengals 25 35 0.714
Bills 14 25 0.560
Broncos 19 33 0.576
Browns 18 33 0.545
Buccaneers 13 21 0.619
Cardinals 11 22 0.500
Chargers 15 24 0.625
Chiefs 15 24 0.625
Colts 17 27 0.630
Cowboys 19 27 0.704
Dolphins 32 39 0.821
Eagles 21 30 0.700
Falcons 16 25 0.640
Giants 20 33 0.606
Jaguars 34 46 0.739
Jets 24 35 0.686
Lions 14 22 0.636
Packers 12 19 0.632
Panthers 25 39 0.641
Patriots 26 38 0.684
Raiders 19 26 0.731
Rams 15 27 0.556
Ravens 22 31 0.710
Redskins 14 24 0.583
Saints 24 35 0.686
Seahawks 20 34 0.588
Steelers 15 25 0.600
Texans 22 33 0.667
Titans 19 25 0.760
Vikings 22 32 0.688

League Total 619 947 0.654

The Niners finished 12th in the league in converting 3rd and short situations. If Heitmann was a problem, and blown back into the backfield often, as a number of posters on this board claim, the Niners would not rank 12th in the league, would not beat the league average of .654, and Heitmann would have been replaced. Stats LLC has graded Heitmann the best of the 49ers line for two years running in run blocking, and most 3rd and short attempts go inside the tackle boxes, and more specifically, thorugh the middle of the line.

As I have stated for a long time, 3rd and short rushes are challenging to convert. More than 1/3 of the time, they are unsuccessful. The Niners do not have a problem in this area, and the myth that Heitmann is a liability in these situations does not hold up statistically. It is an unfair, biased position held by those who do not understand the game very well.

49ers and NFL 3rd down short yardage rush conversion chart

Throw out the data for a minute. How awful has our running been game the past few seasons in short yardage situations? As fans who watch the games we know we have been worse than most NFL teams. We play in a bad division with weak defenses and frequently we can't even get it done against them. Throw out the data, and trust your eyes.

It only appears to be a problem. And, that incorrect perception has made too many board members believe that the team is deficient in this area. We are not. The Niners DO NOT have a short yardage problem in rushing the ball, when compared to the rest of the league.

Trust me, I see nearly every NFL game every week, and see this challenge for all offenses and all centers. That is how I know that Heitmann is not a problem. The stats back that up.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Aug 20, 2010 at 14:30:29 ]

It only appears to be a problem. And, that incorrect perception has made too many board members believe that the team is deficient in this area. We are not. The Niners DO NOT have a short yardage problem in rushing the ball, when compared to the rest of the league.

It cost us games last year, Minnesota stands out above others. I don't care about league averages or any of that. Last season we started out in second and ten or worse more often than most teams in the league, and that was also connected to our poor run blocking. Honestly, when was the last time you saw Heitmann get a push in the running game?

Further, I'll say that we're above league average for one reason, FRANK GORE. He is the most underrated RB in the league and if our O-line comes through this season, people will see just how dazzling this guy can be.
Originally posted by Allx9er:
does anybody know how many years heitman has left on his contract? i know baas is on a one year deal.

Heitmann's contract runs through the next two years. He will be a free agent in 2012.

hmm...heitmann's 31-32 right, baas 25-26? and heitmann really only has a deal that's one year longer. interesting
does anybody know how many years heitman has left on his contract? i know baas is on a one year deal.

Heitmann's contract runs through the next two years. He will be a free agent in 2012.

hmm...heitmann's 31-32 right, baas 25-26? and heitmann really only has a deal that's one year longer. interesting

Another perception error propogated by those who support Baas. Don't buy the lies. Baas is only 19 months younger (Baas born in September 1981, Heitmann born in February 1980).

Mythbusting is becoming a full-time hobby.

It is obvious the team is trying to build an O-line that fits the identity Singletary wants for the team. Heitmann doesn't fit that identity, and it remains to be seen if Baas can be smash mouth or not at center. But my money is on him winning this job, for the season, because of his age and his upside. It follows the same line of thinking for why Iupati and Davis were inserted from practically the get. If Baas plays well through the preseason and in the opener and whatever remaining time Heitmann is out, there would be no reason to mess with the new and developing chemistry between the young guys.

[ Edited by Kilgore_Trout on Aug 20, 2010 at 14:45:52 ]

Another perception error propogated by those who support Baas. Don't buy the lies. Baas is only 19 months younger (Baas born in September 1981, Heitmann born in February 1980).

Mythbusting is becoming a full-time hobby.

Do you disagree with my point about Gore being the reason we had a better conversion rate than average? I notice you skipped that post, Mr. Mythbuster =).
yes he is... after 1 decent preseason game he did better than the 6-7 consistant years of heitmann did

It cost us games last year, Minnesota stands out above others. I don't care about league averages or any of that. Last season we started out in second and ten or worse more often than most teams in the league, and that was also connected to our poor run blocking. Honestly, when was the last time you saw Heitmann get a push in the running game?

Further, I'll say that we're above league average for one reason, FRANK GORE. He is the most underrated RB in the league and if our O-line comes through this season, people will see just how dazzling this guy can be.

I don't have ready stats to show how the Niners performed in 1st and 10 running situations, but you do understand the team had Snyder starting at RT, Staley was out a huge chunk of the year, Rachal was miserable early in 2009, and Baas was mediocre at LG (why he only received a 1 year contract offer and was benched). Heitmann was the bright light of this group, but if you visited this board from another planet, you would think that he was the problem of the group. He wasn't.

As for Minnesota's DL, they have two starting Pro-Bowl DT's in the Williams brothers, who may make up one of the best DT tandems in NFL history. Nobody performs well against them. That is why Minnesota's rush defense was 2nd in the league last year, and had fewest attempts. They are very, very good.

It is obvious the team is trying to build an O-line that fits the identity Singletary wants for the team. Heitmann doesn't fit that identity, and it remains to be seen if Baas can be smash mouth or not at center. But my money is on him winning this job, for the season, because of his age and his upside. It follows the same line of thinking for why Iupati and Davis were inserted from practically the get. If Baas plays well through the preseason and in the opener and whatever remaining time Heitmann is out, there would be no reason to mess with the new and developing chemistry between the young guys.

Honestly, you don't know what you are talking about. So, please stop. When you say "Heitmann doesn't fit that identity", let me ask you a couple questions:
1) Who was the unquestioned starter at center before Heitmann's injury? Uh, Heitmann. Baas wasn't even in contention for the starting job.
2) If "Heitmann doesn't fit that identity", then why have the Niners bypassed drafting a center the past two years, including the 2009 Draft?
3) If "Heitmann doesn't fit that identity", then why did the Niners not pursue a center in free agency?

Heitmann was going to be the starter. This was unquestioned. The only reason Baas is getting snaps at all (he hasn't even been declared the starter for game 1 over Wragge yet), is because Heitmann is injured.

You don't know what you are talking about. Sorry, but your level of knowledge in the game is low. Watch the rest of the league, do some reading, and strip yourself of your bias against Heitmann. Until then, stop posting naive posts. They are embarrassing.

Honestly, you don't know what you are talking about. So, please stop. When you say "Heitmann doesn't fit that identity", let me ask you a couple questions:
1) Who was the unquestioned starter at center before Heitmann's injury? Uh, Heitmann. Baas wasn't even in contention for the starting job.
2) If "Heitmann doesn't fit that identity", then why have the Niners bypassed drafting a center the past two years, including the 2009 Draft?
3) If "Heitmann doesn't fit that identity", then why did the Niners not pursue a center in free agency?

Heitmann was going to be the starter. This was unquestioned. The only reason Baas is getting snaps at all (he hasn't even been declared the starter for game 1 over Wragge yet), is because Heitmann is injured.

You don't know what you are talking about. Sorry, but your level of knowledge in the game is low. Watch the rest of the league, do some reading, and strip yourself of your bias against Heitmann. Until then, stop posting naive posts. They are embarrassing.

Well, this obviously needs some translation from the Intergalactic Maddog-Speak:

"Honestly, . . . " This means "Let me add the word 'honestly' to what I'm about to say, to counteract the impression that Immabout to bullsh*t you, cause that's what Immabout to do."

". . . you don't know what you're talking about." This translates: "the opinions you are expressing do not agree with my own, so I'm going to question your ethics, heritage, motives, lifestyle, religion, football knowledge, intellect, and right to exist."

"So please stop." This means: "So please stop disagreeing with me, it makes me feel uncomfortable."

"Who was the unquestioned starter at center before Heitmann's injury? Uh, Heitmann. Baas wasn't even in contention for the starter's job." This means: "I'm going to completely ignore the fact that Baas got multiple reps at center with the starters during OTAs and TC because its a fact that does not support my thesis."

". . . why have the Niners bypassed drafting a center the past two years, including the 2009 draft?" Translation: "Cody Wallace does not count as a center because he practiced and played a few snaps at guard, and besides, he was drafted by McCloughan, who's not even with the Niners anymore. Plus he was drafted in 2008, and that's so long ago (in light years) that I can barely remember it. On MY planet, there is no word for 'Cody Wallace' or anyone else who might disprove what I'm saying."

"If 'Heitmann doesn't fit that [smashmouth] identity,' then why did the Niners not pursue a center in free agency." Translation: "Imma gonna ignore the fact that there really wasn't a viable FA center available (Mawae being way too old) this year. I'm just going to ask the question, cause it seems to support my position. That's just the way I roll."

"Heitmann was going to be the starter. This was unquestioned." Translation: "It certainly was unquestioned BY ME, because I love Heitmann sooo much, and, well, you know he's just the greatest, an all. So I pretend that the coaches love him too. All that news and stuff about Baas and Wragge getting reps with the first team during OTAs, that wasn't really serious, cause that might have hurt his feelers. Next year, Ima pretend he was in the Pro Bowl. Maybe he'll send me his autographs."

"You don't know what you're talking about" "because you don't agree with me."

"Sorry, but your level of knowledge in the game is low." This means: "I'm repeating this simply for effect, cause the first time I said it, you may not have been properly and sufficiently insulted and humiliated. 'Your level of knowledge in the game is low.' Better add a quart."

". . . strip yourself of your bias against Heitmann." Translation: "Watch him play in your skivies. It's very liberating."

". . . stop posting naive posts. They are embarrassing." Translation: "Your views do not conform to those of myself and others from my planet. One of us is wrong, and it would be embarrassing if it were me, so it must be you. But stop anyway, just in case its me."

Those of us from this planet, Earth, hope this helps. Or at least amuses somewhat.

[ Edited by oldninerdude on Aug 20, 2010 at 21:29:30 ]

Originally posted by oldninerdude:

Well, this obviously needs some translation from the Intergalactic Maddog-Speak:

"Honestly, . . . " This means "Let me add the word 'honestly' to what I'm about to say, to counteract the impression that Immabout to bullsh*t you, cause that's what Immabout to do."

". . . you don't know what you're talking about." This translates: "the opinions you are expressing do not agree with my own, so I'm going to question your ethics, heritage, motives, lifestyle, religion, football knowledge, intellect, and right to exist."

"So please stop." This means: "So please stop disagreeing with me, it makes me feel uncomfortable."

"Who was the unquestioned starter at center before Heitmann's injury? Uh, Heitmann. Baas wasn't even in contention for the starter's job." This means: "I'm going to completely ignore the fact that Baas got multiple reps at center with the starters during OTAs and TC because its a fact that does not support my thesis."

". . . why have the Niners bypassed drafting a center the past two years, including the 2009 draft?" Translation: "Cody Wallace does not count as a center because he practiced and played a few snaps at guard, and besides, he was drafted by McCloughan, who's not even with the Niners anymore. Plus he was drafted in 2008, and that's so long ago (in light years) that I can barely remember it. On MY planet, there is no word for 'Cody Wallace' or anyone else who might disprove what I'm saying."

"If 'Heitmann doesn't fit that [smashmouth] identity,' then why did the Niners not pursue a center in free agency." Translation: "Imma gonna ignore the fact that there really wasn't a viable FA center available (Mawae being way too old) this year. I'm just going to ask the question, cause it seems to support my position. That's just the way I roll."

"Heitmann was going to be the starter. This was unquestioned." Translation: "It certainly was unquestioned BY ME, because I love Heitmann sooo much, and, well, you know he's just the greatest, an all. So I pretend that the coaches love him too. All that news and stuff about Baas and Wragge getting reps with the first team during OTAs, that wasn't really serious, cause that might have hurt his feelers. Next year, Ima pretend he was in the Pro Bowl. Maybe he'll send me his autographs."

"Sorry, but your level of knowledge in the game is low." This means: "I'm repeating this simply for effect, cause the first time I said it, you may not have been properly and sufficiently insulted and humiliated. 'Your level of knowledge in the game is low.' Better add a quart."

". . . strip yourself of your bias against Heitmann." Translation: "Watch him play in your skivies. It's very liberating."

". . . stop posting naive posts. They are embarrassing." Translation: "Your views do not conform to those of myself and others from my planet. One of us is wrong, and it would be embarrassing if it were me, so it must be you. But stop anyway, just in case its me."

Those of us from this planet, Earth, hope this helps. Or at least amuses somewhat.

im not getting into whats going on between yall and i dont care i don't know the genisis of what's going on between yall however, i can tell ya this MadDog...YOU'RE a great asset to this board but your arrogance is hurting your rep

stay cool
I've been hoping that he would move to center when we drafted him. I didn't notice any issues with him in the game, so I'm taking it as a good sign.

im not getting into whats going on between yall and i dont care i don't know the genisis of what's going on between yall however, i can tell ya this MadDog...YOU'RE a great asset to this board but your arrogance is hurting your rep

stay cool

ps ya didn't add anything to my op
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

This is the best post I've seen in a long time. Good ish!

I can't disagree with anything you wrote in its factuality, but I can point out that coaches make mistakes, and Heitmann hasn't ever looked very impressive at center. Further, with each passing year he has looked to be losing more and more strength as evidenced by how he is routinely shoved around. Also, realize that I'm not saying he was the worst member of the O-line last year, I think Snyder was far and away the worst, and then Heitmann and Rachal were runners up. (Baas was very disappointing, but he he showed flashes where he absolutely dominated. --- I've never seen that from Heitmann at center.)

The tape doesn't lie. You can go to the stats, but we all know what we see on Sundays. One last thing. Why are you so defensive of Heitmann? Is it loyalty? Because I can respect that. I won't agree with it, but at least it is a good reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYYEoGXpHE8
Share 49ersWebzone