LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 419 users in the forums

Is Baas permanent answer at center?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Baas permanent answer at center?

• mayo49
  • Veteran
I think Baas will do a good job as Heitmann's replacement and will be re-signed to be Heitmann's primary backup and eventual replacement.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo63:
I think Baas will do a good job as Heitmann's replacement and will be re-signed to be Heitmann's primary backup and eventual replacement.

Baas will be a FA at the end of the year and will likely find some team willing to pay him more to be a starting Guard/Center than the 49ers will be willing to pay him to be a backup. So unless he wins a starting job outright, he's probably gone after this season.

I agree that he looks like he may be a better Center than Guard. After all, it was his performance at Center for Michigan in 2004 that got him drafted so high in the first place. The thing that surprises me is that he's only two years younger than Heitmann (28 vs 30). Otherwise I might say that the 9ers would let Heitmann walk at the end of the year and go with the younger man. But there's not a lot of difference there.

A lot can happen between now and 2011. We'll just have to wait and see how it all pans out. As it is, for the first time in a long time, I feel really good about our depth at Center.
heitman isent getting any younger he took the spot from newberry now maybe its bass's time to take it from heitman
Originally posted by 49ers1fan1982:
If David Baas continues to show improvement into the regular season will he be able to nail down the starting job at center even after heitmann comes back?

What do y'all think?

For all of you calling this thread premature read my post. If you still can't wrap your head around that them there is no hope for you.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Lifer:

Baas will be a FA at the end of the year and will likely find some team willing to pay him more to be a starting Guard/Center than the 49ers will be willing to pay him to be a backup. So unless he wins a starting job outright, he's probably gone after this season.

I agree that he looks like he may be a better Center than Guard. After all, it was his performance at Center for Michigan in 2004 that got him drafted so high in the first place. The thing that surprises me is that he's only two years younger than Heitmann (28 vs 30). Otherwise I might say that the 9ers would let Heitmann walk at the end of the year and go with the younger man. But there's not a lot of difference there.

A lot can happen between now and 2011. We'll just have to wait and see how it all pans out. As it is, for the first time in a long time, I feel really good about our depth at Center.

I agree, Baas could get a lucrative offer as a starting OG or C. So let's hope he doesn't look too good replacing Heitmann, which in turn would be the reason we don't keep him.
There seems to be little question that the OL is the most important issue for the Niners this year. Without a cohesive O line, the offense will neither run the ball well, nor will the QB have enough time to pass. Developing a stable, effective OL has to be the single most important goal of the preseason.

The outlook is outstanding. IMHO.

A. Davis and Iupati appear to be as advertised, and more. Both of them are hard working, dedicated, athletic, strong, mobile and BIG. But they're rookies.

Staley showed some really aggressive play last week. Its only preseason, but he, too, looks good--more aggressive than I recall him ever playing before.

Rachal seems inconsistent. At times he's outstanding. Other times he's lost. He certainly has the physical tools necessary.

Baas played very well last Sunday. Much better than some people expected, and he seems to have won the starting Center position, at least for the present.

Which leads to the question of how long will he be there.

Heitmann's injury occurred at a very important time for the OL. Its in a state of change, hopefully for the better. The five guys need time to work together, to develop chemistry, and to gell as a unit. Heitmann's injury prevents him from participating in that process.

Then there's the question of Heitmann's physical state when he returns, probably in late September or early October. Will his leg atrophy from lack of use while he's out? How long will it take him to regain strength? How long after that will it take him to get into football condition?

When I coached HS basketball, my starting point guard had a similar injury while playing running back during the first game of the football season. He was out for most of the basketball season as well. His leg, ankle and foot were simply too weak, too atrophied, to allow him to play basketball for me after the football season was over. He was the best athlete in the school, and he lost most of the year to his injury.

It would not be completely surprising, therefore, to see Heitmann miss most of the coming season. Hopefully, Baas continues to succeed while Heitmann's out.

If Heitmann is out for an extended period, and Baas shows he's capable of playing the position, then it seems possible that Heitmann may have difficulty regaining his starting position. If the O line is playing well together, and doing so with Baas at center, then perhaps Baas becomes the permanent answer at center.

Time will tell.

Unmistakably, though, this is a very crucial time for the O line and its development as a cohesive and effective unit.

Equally, it was a terrible time, both for the team and for Heitmann, for him to break his leg.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Yes, if by permanent you mean until Heitmann comes back.

Exactly, once Heitmann is healthy he'll be the starter.

IF, Bass turns out to be better then I think he should be left in there. If the line is gelling at the time, why mess with it?

Basically I want the better person in there.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Yes, if by permanent you mean until Heitmann comes back.

Exactly, once Heitmann is healthy he'll be the starter.

IF, Bass turns out to be better then I think he should be left in there. If the line is gelling at the time, why mess with it?

Basically I want the better person in there.

Coach, while sometimes slow to pull the trigger, seems to usually let the most talented guys stay on the field. If Baas earns it, I think he'll stick.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
If Baas continues to improve, I think it is more likely to replace Rachal on the line than Heitman.
  • Mex49
IDTS

How many times have I said rachal belongs as our 3rd. Guard ???... I'm not a big Baas supporter, but I think he's the stopgap answer at both Center and RG. When Heitman comes back, I'd put him in over Rachal IMMEDIATELY !!!
The Rachal criticism seems to be growing more and more from the fan base, but I haven't heard much from the coaches. At the same time, I have to imagine they're see what we're seeing and not liking it. If anyone has any info on what Singletary, Raye, or Solari have said on the line, or on Rachal, as of late, I'm interested!
49ers.com video: David Baas Centering In.

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/David-Baas-Centering-In/65e2ae76-f2f8-45af-a84b-473baacba9bc
The thought of Bass becoming a starter at center down the road has occurred to me at times. He is intelligent, has great size, has played the position in college (and did very well). and at that position, doesn't have to move a lot. Unlike Heitmann, Bass can push the pile and probably will be more effective in short yardage situations. His effectiveness in pass protection is still a question mark however.
Heitmann, on the other hand, is a savvy, experienced, proven veteran so I wouldn't throw him under the bus just yet.

The positives resulting from Heitmann's injury are that...
1) Baas is gaining valuable playing time at that position.
2) Baas is showing some promise.
3) At worst, the Niners are developing some solid depth at a key position.

Next year, in training camp, may the best man win the gig.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
The thought of Bass becoming a starter at center down the road has occurred to me at times. He is intelligent, has great size, has played the position in college (and did very well). and at that position, doesn't have to move a lot. Unlike Heitmann, Bass can push the pile and probably will be more effective in short yardage situations. His effectiveness in pass protection is still a question mark however.
Heitmann, on the other hand, is a savvy, experienced, proven veteran so I wouldn't throw him under the bus just yet.

The positives resulting from Heitmann's injury are that...
1) Baas is gaining valuable playing time at that position.
2) Baas is showing some promise.
3) At worst, the Niners are developing some solid depth at a key position.

Next year, in training camp, may the best man win the gig.

Reading your post made me think of the phrase, "Everything happens for a reason." What was momentarily frightening has turned into a positive I think. Baas really wants the job and I'm excited to see how he looks again this week.
Share 49ersWebzone