Thats a great idea

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by whiskywarlord:
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Said Raye: "The one ability that he has is highlighted in the parts of the game he plays in. Because if a guy is open, he'll hit him, he'll get the ball to them. He's another guy who's in a position where he needs to play early on against guys who have played in the NFL. He needs to play in that level. ... In the second and third exhibition game, we will experiment with some of that."

"The one ability that he has highlighted... ...If a guy is open, he'll hit him, he'll get the ball to them."

Yea Raye, that is one particular "ability" that one should "highlight" when looking at the quarterback position, ya think?

Perhaps next week our coaches will realize that avoiding defenders is "one particular ability that can be useful at times" for a running back.
Or physically dominating a defensive tackle is an "important detail to analyze" when evaluating o-line play.
Or blanketing a WR is a "trait to take into consideration" when judging a cornerbacks ability.

I'm glad our coaches are figuring these things out now.

I'm starting to wonder if it's Nate Davis not getting the playbook or if it's Jimmy Raye just being too stupid to realize he (Nate) can handle it.

It's probably something like this.

In the meetings Jimmy Raye asks a question, "What's the hot read on Xcurl Zpost Yflip back point fake left fake handoff 16 slot in?
Alex Smith raises his hand quickly, followed by Carr two seconds later, while Nate Davis is sitting there puzzled slunking down in his chair trying to disappear from the room.
Jimmy Raye says, "Sigh... You two guys put your hands down, Nate! Hay Nate! Where are you? Oh, there you are! Where are you going?
Nate Davis says, "I need to use the restroom coach."
Raye, "Wait on that, I want you to answer the question first."
Davis, "I... I was studying the playbook, but I think I spilled some nacho cheese on those pages."
Raye, "Oh Nate, why Nate WHY?"
The other quarterbacks are visibly smirking, trying to hold back laughter.
Nate Davis stands up tall, takes a deep breath and says, "Coach, in my head, I don't know what the hell the hot read is on that play you put up. All I know is that in the actual game, when it happens, THEN I'll know, and I'll hit the guy."
Some snickering can now be heard from the other two quarterbacks in the room, laughing at Nate Davis's lack of book smarts.
Raye, "Hey quite down in here!" "Sigh, OK, Nate... ok... I'll go over the playbook with you tonight some more."
After the other players leave the meeting room Jimmy Raye says to Nate Davis, "You know what Nate, I'll give you a shot against Minnesota. I'll run that play, and we'll see if you can find the hot read at game time, I have my doubts, but we'll see."
Nate Davis, "THANKS coach!"

We'll just have to wait and see what happens...

thats not very nice man, calling someone a weirdo for daydreaming about late nite playbook meetings with jimmy raye and some wine, and maybe some strawberrys, and shrimp.....

shame on you

No dude, shame on you

i feel dirty, i need a shower
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by eddy99_1999:
mattbarrows

Jimmy Raye: team will experiment with getting Nate Davis into the game earlier in next two preseason games.

i love that idea now we will know what Nate and Dixon has to offer

And i agree with you ninernation Miacco is falling of since joining comcast

MattB is da man right now

Singletary isn't an idiot. He knows sometimes there's Gamers who get lost on the bench and he wants to see if the kid has "it".

I agree I think Dixon has it also

agreed, I don't want to rush Dixon though, let BW play in front of him for now and get Dixon some spot play.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I lol'd at Rayes quote.

He said something like "one thing about davis is, if the receivers open, he'll get him the ball" Then why in the FLYING F*CK IS HE JUST NOW GETTING MORE PT?!?!?! I know there's a lot to QBing, but isn't the most important part getting open receivers the ball??

I know Im being a bit simplistic, but it's still funny to me
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Antix:
I lol'd at Rayes quote.

He said something like "one thing about davis is, if the receivers open, he'll get him the ball" Then why in the FLYING F*CK IS HE JUST NOW GETTING MORE PT?!?!?! I know there's a lot to QBing, but isn't the most important part getting open receivers the ball??

Wasn't he referring to only in the preseason games and not practice?
Originally posted by billbird2111:
If this isn't a direct shot across the bow and message to Alex Smith -- well -- it should be.

It means that his hold on the starting job isn't as safe as he might think. It means that the "powers that be" are having second thoughts. It means Singletary is kicking Alex squarely in the keester.

That message is: "Get it done -- or sit down."

Best news I've heard all day. I like the new attitude coming from Niner Central.

i saw bird poo on the ground today in the shape of a dollar sign,am i going to win the lottery tonight? no, im probably just reading to much into some sh!t

Wow. What a great observation. What a grand addition you are to Niner Talk.

This coming from a guy who calls Anthony Davis a bust after OTA'S. I'd much rather read a funny comment like that than any of your drivel all day, every day, and certainly, twice on sundays.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GEEK:
I lol'd at Rayes quote.

Yeah, he was. I've always has the opinion that what you do in games is more important. So if he can hit receivers consistently in games then let him play more.

Im not gonna bash Smith, but it seems Davis has more inherent natural play making ability and I know Raye has to see that. Not to say Davis is better right now, but that natural play making ability should be given more PT.

I just found the quote funny cuz hitting open receivers is the first, most important and ultimately the only thing a QB really has to do.
I lol'd at Rayes quote.

Yeah, he was. I've always has the opinion that what you do in games is more important. So if he can hit receivers consistently in games then let him play more.

Im not gonna bash Smith, but it seems Davis has more inherent natural play making ability and I know Raye has to see that. Not to say Davis is better right now, but that natural play making ability should be given more PT.

I just found the quote funny cuz hitting open receivers is the first, most important and ultimately the only thing a QB really has to do.

Understanding the plays is the first step to a good quarterback. It's obvious that Davis has talent, but he is still playing recklessly and ad-libbing a majority of the plays. He's not ready at all yet, however he does deserve to battle Carr for Number 2.
Originally posted by TitsMcgee:
I lol'd at Rayes quote.

Understanding the plays is the first step to a good quarterback. It's obvious that Davis has talent, but he is still playing recklessly and ad-libbing a majority of the plays. He's not ready at all yet, however he does deserve to battle Carr for Number 2.

i'll be the first to say it right now, if nate davis can win the starting job and thats the coach;s decision GREAT FINE I dont have a problem with it, any fan should know the kid has all the ability to do the job

lets see how he does this weekend, smith will play againts the 1's and davis will play against the 2's

im stoked
I lol'd at Rayes quote.

You just described Brett Favre's career.

LB
I lol'd at Rayes quote.

Raye mentioned that he'll get more playing time in the same interview.....

-9fA

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
If this isn't a direct shot across the bow and message to Alex Smith -- well -- it should be.

It means that his hold on the starting job isn't as safe as he might think. It means that the "powers that be" are having second thoughts. It means Singletary is kicking Alex squarely in the keester.

That message is: "Get it done -- or sit down."

Best news I've heard all day. I like the new attitude coming from Niner Central.

i saw bird poo on the ground today in the shape of a dollar sign,am i going to win the lottery tonight? no, im probably just reading to much into some sh!t

Wow. What a great observation. What a grand addition you are to Niner Talk.

Gotta love them n00bs....

i agree, theyre so cute and so misunderstood

yes im a noob, long time visitor fist time poster,blah blah blah

i must say i like your screen name mr.dean or can i call you fred?

Call me whatever you'd like...just try and add some value or humor to the proceedings here. Either one will do.

I actually thought it was funny and a perfect representation somebody reading way to far into something! I'm not quite sure how somebody can be a noob on a forum either, as if it takes any skill or ability to post an opinion?

Allegiances are stupid.
I lol'd at Rayes quote.

i'll be the first to say it right now, if nate davis can win the starting job and thats the coach;s decision GREAT FINE I dont have a problem with it, any fan should know the kid has all the ability to do the job

lets see how he does this weekend, smith will play againts the 1's and davis will play against the 2's

im stoked

Exactly! lets manage our expectations a little. Nate constantly breaks the pocket against DE's who can't hold containment against our back up line. He also hits receivers after hes rolled out and they are wide open cause the 3rd string defense doesn't know their responsibilities after 2-3 seconds. Any NFL QB should be able to do that.

Now he's gonna be able to play against a 2nd string D that knows how to contain the pocket a bit and knows their responsibilities in coverage. I would love to see smith lead two quick scoring drives and get pulled in the first quarter and let Nate play against the Vikings #1's for a drive or two, that would prove whether he is for real or whether he is just great at beating on backups. Hell Boller led the raiders on two scoring drives against the Cowboy's 3's, but he sucked against every 1st string defense he's played against in Baltimore and Stl.
If Nate gets his chance with the first string, the one thing he should NOT do is too much. Just manage the game, hand the ball off, and hit receivers in stride. Dont try any early heroics, and turn the ball over. The coach still wants ball control, not gun-slinging, like he's desparate for a roster spot. Go Nate! Look good!
I lol'd at Rayes quote.

Some people play like they practice (Alex Smith) and some play nothing like they practice (Nate Davis, Jeff Garcia). I don't care if Nate Davis gets 20 reps in practice and throws 19 INTs as long as he connects on gameday.

I understand it's only preseason, but how are we supposed to know if it can transfer to regular season play if they never even give him a chance? Alex Smith has never looked as good as Nate Davis, not even in his own preseason games against 3rd stringers and camp fodder.

They have to let the man try.
Double post..

[ Edited by 49erRider on Aug 19, 2010 at 16:44:25 ]
Share 49ersWebzone