LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 281 users in the forums

The pressure is now on Jimmy Raye

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by valrod33:
The pressure is on Alex Smith and the offensive line.

The line has to give Smith time and Alex has to produce

END THREAD
It isn't that Alex has to produce; the entire offensive roster has to produce. Screw ups killed us last year, and it just wasn't Alex's. Eliminating those screw ups alone will take us to the promised land.
people keep talking about "balance" which is great in an ideal world. But in the real world, game-planning and adjustments are what seperate the best OC's from the average. And THAT is what concerns me most about Raye. While I'm skeptically optimistic Raye will get it this year, many of his comments scare me esp. regarding his philosophy to keep games close and "hopefully" win them in the 4th quarter. A great OC attacks weaknesses. This is the area Raye seems to fail the most besides his vanilla play-calling and philosphy. If we're playing a team who's 32nd against the pass, I want an OC who passes all game long and exploits these waeknesses (screw balance). If we play a team who's 32nd against the run, we better be running all game long. If a defense has slow LBers and safeties, I want us exploiting that weakness by attacking with VD and crossing and post patterns. This is where Raye scares me the most. He and Singletary share a similar philosophy but "balance" should not be the objective...game planning and attacking weaknesses should be. Given we tend to start out games very poorly, are terrible on the road, are terrible after bye-weeks and were backwards last year (threw against teams we should have run against and vice versa), I have my concerns. But now that Sing/Raye have all "their" tools to implement the kind of offense they want to run, it's 100% on them now. No more throwing Alex or the o-line under the bus or Raye not knowing his personnel yet. THIS is the year we find out if Raye can game plan and attack weaknesses. Screw balance!
Jimmy Raye, so far, has been average at best. Singletary is a defense oriented guy, so who is actually reviewing Raye's plans? If Raye fails, is there another OC that would like to work for Singletary? It seems like a tough situation.
Let's hope Raye succeeds, because the only way to get to the playoffs is if we score at least 24 points on avg.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
i just dont the same bs raye pulled when we played in gb last yr where in the 1st half alex had like a total of 6 yds or whatever passing and we were down big time. then he decides to open it up and we lose a close gm because of that bs 1st half

This kind of reminds me of what the great Bill Walsh once said, (in regards to using the run to setup the pass vs. using the pass to setup the run) I'm paraphrasing... "If you try to force the running game, you may be down 2 or 3 touchdowns. Then, you're fightin an uphill battle and you may come up short in the end." Please correct me if I'm wrong. I heard Bill say something like that from an interview used for "TOP 10: Football Myths."

In his day, Bill Walsh would use screen passes and flares to the RB, which had the same effect as running the football. Then, when it was time to close out the game we could run the ball. I hope Jimmy Raye will use a similar principal with our combination of Frank Gore and Brian Westbrook.

Eh, it's just philosophy. Pass first or run first? Doesn't matter which one you do.

If you run the ball first, and you run the ball well while mixing in some play action and the occasional downfield throw, then you'll control the clock. It's nice too because you can wear down the defense. But you run the risk of being stopped and falling behind. From there, you end up having to pass your way back into the game, which is probably something you're not good at.

If you pass the ball first, then you attack all parts of the field, and can really have effective draw and delay type runs. Also, runningbacks are more effective out of the flats. But you run the risk of having a lot of turnovers or getting involved in a shootout with the other team.

It's just balance. Good offensive coordinators know how to balance the playcalling. That's what I didn't like about Raye's offense last year. So often, we ran on 1st and 2nd down, ending up with 3rd and 7+. Please pass the ball a little earlier in the game. Don't wait until the second half when we're down by 2+ TDs.

But also, don't make Alex Smith throw the ball 20+ times in the first half either. Very few QBs can run an offense like that... Peyton, Brees, maybe Brady, and arguably 1 or 2 other QBs can pass the ball so much, and consistently carry offenses like that.

The addition of Westbrook also opens up some more creative split-back options on offense where the team can line-up in the pro-set and split him out behind the Flanker for either an isolation screen if the LB's stay at home or a downhill run if they empty out the box.
Originally posted by 49ersking:
Jimmy Raye, so far, has been average at best. Singletary is a defense oriented guy, so who is actually reviewing Raye's plans? If Raye fails, is there another OC that would like to work for Singletary? It seems like a tough situation.
Let's hope Raye succeeds, because the only way to get to the playoffs is if we score at least 24 points on avg.

The 49ers Offense scored 20.6 PPG, placing them 18th in the NFL.

The Cowboys, Cardinals, Jets and Bengals all scored less than 24 PPG in 2009 and made it to the playoffs.

It'll take more than scoring points to put the 49ers in the playoffs.
It doesn't matter which you do first. I've seen many games around the league where the team with shortest amount of "time of possession" wins the game. The key is to remain flexible and versatile. Use what you have. Two dynamic tight ends, two dynamic RBs that can score on any play, a great route runner at WR and a QB who is strong at the seam route to the TE and timing routes. It's not hard. The worst thing that can happen is if the 49ers abandon their strengths to prove a point. Running the football is great if you can do it. I just want them to remain flexible if the run game isn't working, which would be the oppposite of the Green Bay game last year.
Originally posted by guillotine31:
It doesn't matter which you do first. I've seen many games around the league where the team with shortest amount of "time of possession" wins the game. The key is to remain flexible and versatile. Use what you have. Two dynamic tight ends, two dynamic RBs that can score on any play, a great route runner at WR and a QB who is strong at the seam route to the TE and timing routes. It's not hard. The worst thing that can happen is if the 49ers abandon their strengths to prove a point. Running the football is great if you can do it. I just want them to remain flexible if the run game isn't working, which would be the oppposite of the Green Bay game last year.

Originally posted by NCommand:
people keep talking about "balance" which is great in an ideal world. But in the real world, game-planning and adjustments are what seperate the best OC's from the average. And THAT is what concerns me most about Raye. While I'm skeptically optimistic Raye will get it this year, many of his comments scare me esp. regarding his philosophy to keep games close and "hopefully" win them in the 4th quarter. A great OC attacks weaknesses. This is the area Raye seems to fail the most besides his vanilla play-calling and philosphy. If we're playing a team who's 32nd against the pass, I want an OC who passes all game long and exploits these waeknesses (screw balance). If we play a team who's 32nd against the run, we better be running all game long. If a defense has slow LBers and safeties, I want us exploiting that weakness by attacking with VD and crossing and post patterns. This is where Raye scares me the most. He and Singletary share a similar philosophy but "balance" should not be the objective...game planning and attacking weaknesses should be. Given we tend to start out games very poorly, are terrible on the road, are terrible after bye-weeks and were backwards last year (threw against teams we should have run against and vice versa), I have my concerns. But now that Sing/Raye have all "their" tools to implement the kind of offense they want to run, it's 100% on them now. No more throwing Alex or the o-line under the bus or Raye not knowing his personnel yet. THIS is the year we find out if Raye can game plan and attack weaknesses. Screw balance!

There's "a rat" in separate.
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

You always know watsup, N. The fact that we're always horrible at the beginning of games and after bye weeks is really the kiss of death here. The more time Raye has with the offense, the worse they look. We never attack weaknesses, we never gameplan for opposing D's. I cannot help but feel we have an inferior mind running our offense, when compared to the rest of the league. Hopefully i am proved wrong this year.

Imagine if we had Mike Martz now...
it's easy if you try...
no hell below us...
above us only sky...

[ Edited by Psinex on Aug 18, 2010 at 11:09:58 ]
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
i just dont the same bs raye pulled when we played in gb last yr where in the 1st half alex had like a total of 6 yds or whatever passing and we were down big time. then he decides to open it up and we lose a close gm because of that bs 1st half

This kind of reminds me of what the great Bill Walsh once said, (in regards to using the run to setup the pass vs. using the pass to setup the run) I'm paraphrasing... "If you try to force the running game, you may be down 2 or 3 touchdowns. Then, you're fightin an uphill battle and you may come up short in the end." Please correct me if I'm wrong. I heard Bill say something like that from an interview used for "TOP 10: Football Myths."

In his day, Bill Walsh would use screen passes and flares to the RB, which had the same effect as running the football. Then, when it was time to close out the game we could run the ball. I hope Jimmy Raye will use a similar principal with our combination of Frank Gore and Brian Westbrook.

Your first mistake here is mentioning Bill Walsh in a thread about our mentally challenged erstwhile offensive coordinator.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Psinex:
Imagine if we had Mike Martz now...
it's easy if you try...
no hell below us...
above us only sky...

Martz is the polar opposite of Raye....and maybe equally worse. Why? Because the like the uber-conservative Raye, he's almost equally predictable in his willingness to take huge risks...risks that can backfire in spectacular fashion.

Still, at this point, if you gave me a choice between Martz and Raye, I would take Martz anyday. I just don't think that Martz (in the long run) has a winning formula, because like Raye, he lacks a concept of balance in his play calling, and is often too willing to ignore adjustments that can be in real time to make his job easier.
I could believe what I read after seeing Maiocco's practice report.

Quote:
Afterward, offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye said he does not know much about Westbrook as a player. He knows only his reputation.

Read more: 49ers Camp Report: Practice 23
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

Has Jimmy been living in a cave for the past 8 years or is he really that clueless?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Schulzy:
I could believe what I read after seeing Maiocco's practice report.

Quote:
Afterward, offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye said he does not know much about Westbrook as a player. He knows only his reputation.

Read more: 49ers Camp Report: Practice 23
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

Has Jimmy been living in a cave for the past 8 years or is he really that clueless?

Rathman should be useful to Raye to utilize Westbrook properly.
Share 49ersWebzone