LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

The pressure is now on Jimmy Raye

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Run-first, pass, first, it doesn't matter. It's balance, stretching the defense and being able to catch the defense cheating towards one or the other that will make an offense tick. And all that's assuming we're fundamentally sound (meaning we can execute the play call) and more often than not beat defenders 1-on-1.

I thought the playcalling was ok last year considering we couldn't execute consistently. Not great, but ok- balanced to the degree it could be. You can definitely question some critical 3rd down calls, but there's nothing wrong with a screen play on 3rd and long from time to time if it works.

Maybe Raye's under more pressure this year than last year because we're more talented and the expectation is higher, but I wouldn't say he's under any more pressure than any other O-coordinator whose offense is expected to be similarly good. We've got a talented offense and a some pretty good position coaches from what I've read. If we can execute, we'll be good. The playcalling, assuming he can keep the defenses guessing, is a secondary concern.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
He needs to not be so stubburn trying to get the running game going early. Like was mentioned earlier we may find ourselves down two tds in the first qtr trying to get our running game going. If it's not working go to the passing game while we're still in the game. Got to adjust.

[ Edited by mayo63 on Aug 18, 2010 at 03:54:03 ]
Originally posted by A-R-S:
Originally posted by PTulini:
In my opinion, the biggest amount pressure is now on Offensive Coordinator Jimmy Raye. We've seen a lot of turnover on the offensive side of the ball from where we were just 1 year ago. (Alex Smith, Crabtree, Ginn, A. Davis, Iupati, Baas at Center, and now Westbrook...) How will he fit all of these new pieces together and make them work? Will we pass the ball more... run the ball more? Jimmy Raye has often been criticized for being too conservative, what do you think about the offensive possibilities?

We have endless possibilities and potential on offense. Jimmy Raye will use none of it.

The first 2 plays last week were runs up the middle, combined with a fumble. More of the same BS from last year.

This year though, I think if he does this kind of thing the fans and writers are going to flip out and there will be huge pressure to use our skill players in a more apropos setup. This kind of pressure in SF by fans and writers is not unheard of, in fact in the past it was common and got things changed a lot of the time.

But for the last 7 years it's been the excuse driven era of Smith and, sush don't get too outta hand, just be a fan and STFU. Right..

I'm going to go out on a limb and say if Smith stinks it up for the most part, if Raye bows down to Sing and runs a BS Offense and Sing does nothing to change it up.. I'll say the fans and writers will have nothing to do with this, and the $hit will hit the fan in a big way. Hey they got a proposed money cow stadium in the pipeline, they can not look like they don't know what they are doing..

This is good thing and keep the sword over Sing. Rays and Smith's head..

Sing can try to tough it out by using BS one liners to try to shut us and the writers up, but if it gets bad quick with brainless Offense that a 10 year old could call D plays for, well then..let the pressure build man..

Gonna be interesting indeed..

GO NINERS!
agree
  • Chief
  • Veteran
If the offense fails it's Alex Smiths fault.
Originally posted by teeohh:
If we don't win the division because our offense is a lame duck I hope Raye and singletary are shown the door.

Sing cant fire him mid-season and leave us with nothing. We all expect Johnson to take over but honestly we don't know how much he knows and how good he would be.
The pressure is on Alex Smith and the offensive line.

The line has to give Smith time and Alex has to produce

END THREAD
Originally posted by valrod33:
The pressure is on Alex Smith and the offensive line.

The line has to give Smith time and Alex has to produce

END THREAD
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
i just dont the same bs raye pulled when we played in gb last yr where in the 1st half alex had like a total of 6 yds or whatever passing and we were down big time. then he decides to open it up and we lose a close gm because of that bs 1st half

This kind of reminds me of what the great Bill Walsh once said, (in regards to using the run to setup the pass vs. using the pass to setup the run) I'm paraphrasing... "If you try to force the running game, you may be down 2 or 3 touchdowns. Then, you're fightin an uphill battle and you may come up short in the end." Please correct me if I'm wrong. I heard Bill say something like that from an interview used for "TOP 10: Football Myths."

In his day, Bill Walsh would use screen passes and flares to the RB, which had the same effect as running the football. Then, when it was time to close out the game we could run the ball. I hope Jimmy Raye will use a similar principal with our combination of Frank Gore and Brian Westbrook.

Agree. Walsh used to attack at the beginning of a game, not try to grind it out running the ball. He would run in the 4th quarter with a lead to run out the clock. I'd like to see Raye be more aggressive in the first half and try to get a lead. The objective should be to get a lead, not establish the run.
we fail this season, both Raye and Smith are history. Maybe even Singletary depending how things turn out.

Same ol Niner Negativity on the Zone
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
we fail this season, both Raye and Smith are history. Maybe even Singletary depending how things turn out.

if we fail Singletary should go along with them

I think Jed has the balls to do it too, unlike his father. Right now he has me thinking he's determined to win, last year he basically guaranteed the playoffs so he'd probably be pissed if we failed again. That's my wishful thinking

[ Edited by redrathman on Aug 18, 2010 at 09:26:07 ]
I thought Coach Raye was becoming more creative last year in trying to make Alex comfortable so he'd be more productive. If the run game is what I think it will be everything will take care of itself. Ted Ginn might open things up for the intermediate to long passes to the wideouts.
Originally posted by redrathman:

Yo man, you died?
Share 49ersWebzone