There are 159 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The pressure is now on Jimmy Raye

In my opinion, the biggest amount pressure is now on Offensive Coordinator Jimmy Raye. We've seen a lot of turnover on the offensive side of the ball from where we were just 1 year ago. (Alex Smith, Crabtree, Ginn, A. Davis, Iupati, Baas at Center, and now Westbrook...) How will he fit all of these new pieces together and make them work? Will we pass the ball more... run the ball more? Jimmy Raye has often been criticized for being too conservative, what do you think about the offensive possibilities?

[ Edited by PTulini on Aug 17, 2010 at 21:53:21 ]
As long as we stop doing WR screens on 3rd & 12, or punch it up the middle on a FB dive, Jimmy Raye and I got no problems.
i just dont the same bs raye pulled when we played in gb last yr where in the 1st half alex had like a total of 6 yds or whatever passing and we were down big time. then he decides to open it up and we lose a close gm because of that bs 1st half
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PTulini:
In my opinion, the biggest amount pressure is now on Offensive Coordinator Jimmy Raye. We've seen a lot of turnover on the offensive side of the ball from where we were just 1 year ago. (Alex Smith, Crabtree, Ginn, A. Davis, Iupati, Baas at Center, and now Westbrook...) How will he fit all of these new pieces together and make them work? Will we pass the ball more... run the ball more? Jimmy Raye has often been criticized for being too conservative, what do you think about the offensive possibilities?

We have endless possibilities and potential on offense. Jimmy Raye will use none of it.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
i just dont the same bs raye pulled when we played in gb last yr where in the 1st half alex had like a total of 6 yds or whatever passing and we were down big time. then he decides to open it up and we lose a close gm because of that bs 1st half

This kind of reminds me of what the great Bill Walsh once said, (in regards to using the run to setup the pass vs. using the pass to setup the run) I'm paraphrasing... "If you try to force the running game, you may be down 2 or 3 touchdowns. Then, you're fightin an uphill battle and you may come up short in the end." Please correct me if I'm wrong. I heard Bill say something like that from an interview used for "TOP 10: Football Myths."

In his day, Bill Walsh would use screen passes and flares to the RB, which had the same effect as running the football. Then, when it was time to close out the game we could run the ball. I hope Jimmy Raye will use a similar principal with our combination of Frank Gore and Brian Westbrook.

[ Edited by PTulini on Aug 17, 2010 at 22:18:33 ]
We have every OC's dream on offense. I hope he doesn't screw this one up.
Originally posted by A-R-S:

We have endless possibilities and potential on offense. Jimmy Raye will use none of it.

This really is still Singletary's offense....he is the one who tells Raye what to do
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by A-R-S:

This really is still Singletary's offense....he is the one who tells Raye what to do

/thread
This will be a headache Raye would rather have with the latest addition of Westbrook. Hes got up and coming rookies and proven vets. Good mixture, just need to gel on and off the field.
Last year we were frequently in second and 10, and second and twelve situations. This year I expect to be in second and six more often. I think that change is going to really open up the offense for Raye this year and we're going to see Gore, Crabs, VD, and co. flourishing as a result in comparison with their prior statistical performances.

This kind of reminds me of what the great Bill Walsh once said, (in regards to using the run to setup the pass vs. using the pass to setup the run) I'm paraphrasing... "If you try to force the running game, you may be down 2 or 3 touchdowns. Then, you're fightin an uphill battle and you may come up short in the end." Please correct me if I'm wrong. I heard Bill say something like that from an interview used for "TOP 10: Football Myths."

In his day, Bill Walsh would use screen passes and flares to the RB, which had the same effect as running the football. Then, when it was time to close out the game we could run the ball. I hope Jimmy Raye will use a similar principal with our combination of Frank Gore and Brian Westbrook.

Eh, it's just philosophy. Pass first or run first? Doesn't matter which one you do.

If you run the ball first, and you run the ball well while mixing in some play action and the occasional downfield throw, then you'll control the clock. It's nice too because you can wear down the defense. But you run the risk of being stopped and falling behind. From there, you end up having to pass your way back into the game, which is probably something you're not good at.

If you pass the ball first, then you attack all parts of the field, and can really have effective draw and delay type runs. Also, runningbacks are more effective out of the flats. But you run the risk of having a lot of turnovers or getting involved in a shootout with the other team.

It's just balance. Good offensive coordinators know how to balance the playcalling. That's what I didn't like about Raye's offense last year. So often, we ran on 1st and 2nd down, ending up with 3rd and 7+. Please pass the ball a little earlier in the game. Don't wait until the second half when we're down by 2+ TDs.

But also, don't make Alex Smith throw the ball 20+ times in the first half either. Very few QBs can run an offense like that... Peyton, Brees, maybe Brady, and arguably 1 or 2 other QBs can pass the ball so much, and consistently carry offenses like that.
Originally posted by Wubbie:

Eh, it's just philosophy. Pass first or run first? Doesn't matter which one you do.

If you run the ball first, and you run the ball well while mixing in some play action and the occasional downfield throw, then you'll control the clock. It's nice too because you can wear down the defense. But you run the risk of being stopped and falling behind. From there, you end up having to pass your way back into the game, which is probably something you're not good at.

If you pass the ball first, then you attack all parts of the field, and can really have effective draw and delay type runs. Also, runningbacks are more effective out of the flats. But you run the risk of having a lot of turnovers or getting involved in a shootout with the other team.

It's just balance. Good offensive coordinators know how to balance the playcalling. That's what I didn't like about Raye's offense last year. So often, we ran on 1st and 2nd down, ending up with 3rd and 7+. Please pass the ball a little earlier in the game. Don't wait until the second half when we're down by 2+ TDs.

But also, don't make Alex Smith throw the ball 20+ times in the first half either. Very few QBs can run an offense like that... Peyton, Brees, maybe Brady, and arguably 1 or 2 other QBs can pass the ball so much, and consistently carry offenses like that.

Good analyzing!
If we don't win the division because our offense is a lame duck I hope Raye and singletary are shown the door.
The pressure is on Raye no doubt but with run blocking improvements to the OL and another dynamic RB with hands ------ He's definitely grinning. I bet we have a fairly balanced and potent attack. I know that I am excited. Opposing defense are gonna have a tough time , cause we have some weapons on offense. I look forward to seeing Westbrook and Gore together.

Agree with you that running sets up passing and vice versa.

Was truly spoiled watching Walsh's offense slice and dice defenses. However, Walsh didn't call screen passes. I forget what his reason was, but he didn't use them.