LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Any questions now about McClown's "firing"?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Glen Coffee quits...by twitter, no less.
Kentwan Balmer doesn't show up for 2 yrs, then really doesn't show up for his 3rd yr,
then gets traded FOR A 6th, gasp...

That's a #3 and a #1, (unless coffee was a 2nd), and regardless of talent...or lack thereof... it does make one wonder just what in the name of heck scot was doing when he drafted these jokers. There isn't a 49er psychologic profile that potential players have to fill out? There isn't a pre-draft meet with top 4 potential picks to see if they have the desire to play pro ball? Having a 3rd (or 2nd) and then a #1 take a powder on you says one thing: Clown was a very poor choice as GM. Maybe he could judge talent, maybe not. But not knowing you got two guys drafted high who were going to be flakes....that is inexcusable. Nice guy, but i am sure glad he moved on. Maybe he can do as much damage to the Hawks as he did to us. Seattle... good luck. You're gonna need it.
Coffee didnt quit by twitter, he went to Sing office and told him to his face
Willis
Vernon Davis
Goldson
Staley
Morgan
Crabtree
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Glen Coffee quits...by twitter, no less.
Kentwan Balmer doesn't show up for 2 yrs, then really doesn't show up for his 3rd yr,
then gets traded FOR A 6th, gasp...

That's a #3 and a #1, (unless coffee was a 2nd), and regardless of talent...or lack thereof... it does make one wonder just what in the name of heck scot was doing when he drafted these jokers. There isn't a 49er psychologic profile that potential players have to fill out? There isn't a pre-draft meet with top 4 potential picks to see if they have the desire to play pro ball? Having a 3rd (or 2nd) and then a #1 take a powder on you says one thing: Clown was a very poor choice as GM. Maybe he could judge talent, maybe not. But not knowing you got two guys drafted high who were going to be flakes....that is inexcusable. Nice guy, but i am sure glad he moved on. Maybe he can do as much damage to the Hawks as he did to us. Seattle... good luck. You're gonna need it.

I'm not defending Scotty, but come on? Nobody could have seen this coming.

[ Edited by jta854 on Aug 17, 2010 at 13:28:44 ]
Valrod, that's good to hear. It would have been unseemly to quit via twitter.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Willis
Vernon Davis
Goldson
Staley
Morgan
Crabtree

Willis and Crabtree were obvious selections at those spots IMHO.

Vernon Davis was a reach at the time and it only worked out because of Singletary.

Morgan was obviously great value but I'm not convinced he's a legit #2 just yet.

The only 2 I'll give you as being truly noteworthy GM work are moving up for Staley and drafting Goldson.
Willis
Vernon Davis
Goldson
Staley
Morgan
Crabtree

Plus Free Agents...

Justin Smith (pro bowl)
Walt Harris (pro bowl)
Nate Clements
Larry Allen (pro bowl)
Moran Norris
Originally posted by CornellU49er:
Willis
Vernon Davis
Goldson
Staley
Morgan
Crabtree

Vernon Davis was a reach at the time and it only worked out because of Singletary.

Morgan was obviously great value but I'm not convinced he's a legit #2 just yet.

The only 2 I'll give you as being truly noteworthy GM work are moving up for Staley and drafting Goldson.

Frank Gore?
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

Yes.
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Willis
Vernon Davis
Goldson
Staley
Morgan
Crabtree

Plus Free Agents...

Justin Smith (pro bowl)
Walt Harris (pro bowl)
Nate Clements
Larry Allen (pro bowl)
Moran Norris

Weren't some of those guys drafted/signed by Nolan before McDrunk was promoted to GM? I guess McD gets some credit, too.
Originally posted by CornellU49er:
Willis
Vernon Davis
Goldson
Staley
Morgan
Crabtree

Frank Gore?

Absolutely, he should be at the top of the list.

He wasn't all bad, thats for sure. But there were more than enough head scratching decisions to call him into question. Compound that with his infuriating insistence on huge (read: slow) players, unwillingness to pay guards, and any other example of his complete lack of flexibility in shaping a team.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Willis
Vernon Davis
Goldson
Staley
Morgan
Crabtree

Plus Free Agents...

Justin Smith (pro bowl)
Walt Harris (pro bowl)
Nate Clements
Larry Allen (pro bowl)
Moran Norris

Weren't some of those guys drafted/signed by Nolan before McDrunk was promoted to GM? I guess McD gets some credit, too.

What do you think the Vice President of player personnel does?
Share 49ersWebzone