LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 291 users in the forums

Mike and Mike high on the Niners

Shop Find 49ers gear online
12-4 ftw!
A lot of the points allowed in the losses were directly correlated to multiple turnovers by our offense or special teams allowing the opposition a lot of short drives needed where a FG was automatic even if the defense got a 3 and out.

The extreme inconsistency with the offense was the #1 reason for the points allowed. Yes, the defense still needs to make stops but there's a reason why kickers are always near the top in points scored: Those automatic 3 pointers from FG range add up.
They don't know s**t.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
They don't know s**t.

Yeah, 12 wins is reading too much into the hype. So is that the max they think we can get or the par?
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Originally posted by cooljon16:
got rocked in our 8 losses in terms of overally points allowed

WRONG

Not cumulatively. Without looking up the exact details, the stats they had were we gave up about 56 points in our 8 wins and something like 250 in our 8 losses.

The point being that it was feast or famine overall. And they were right. Against lesser teams, we dominated. Against stronger teams, we often struggled and gave up too many big plays, 3rd down conversions and points, even if we played OK for most of the game.

In 6 of those 8 losses, we gave up at least 24 points. Obviously if we had been just a bit more consistant in our 8 losses, we could have picked up an extra win or two at least, just by allowing one less score. In half of those losses, the final margin was a TD (once) or a FG (3 times). Making ONE more play in each game that stops a drive and prevents a score could have been the difference.

Compare that to our 8 wins, in which we allowed 10 points or less in 7 of them and only 16 in the 8th, and that is a HUGE difference.

That was their point, and it's 100% accurate. We need our D to be more consistant against the better teams.

If we can make that small step forward this year, (giving up at least a FG less to good teams) and if our O can do the same, (score at least a FG more against good teams), we are likely a double digit win team.

But both sides of the ball need that extra level of consistancy, especially against the better teams in the NFL.

Well we also scored close to those many points as well, so it wasn't a blow out. Its twisting stats a bit.

No one (them or me) said we got blown out in our losses, but that we gave up a lot of points in our losses. Especially as compared to our wins. The point being, we need to find more consistancy, and if we do, half those losses might be wins. Hence winning between 10-12 games this season.

Even with an O that was inconsistant, if we had just been a bit more stout on D in some of those losses, they might have been wins. The fact that most of the games were close is why it was so important for our D to make that one extra stop because that could be the difference in the game. And in our losses (even if the O contributed to the issue with turnovers), our D wasn't nearly as good as it was in our wins.

And IMO, much of that was us sometimes taking a little while to adjust to better teams. For most of the game we could handle them. But either early and/or on some key plays, we didn't. Whereas in our wins, our D played a more complete game and relyed on our O far less.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Dirt bags

WRONG

Ya we only had one game where we got blown out and alot of games where we were inches away from a win and a few games where we were blown out and then came back within a few inches of a win and one game where we were truly robbed.

The Atlanta loss was a product of Shaun Hill's miserable play. That was his worst game as a 49er and it took the juice out of the entire team.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:

WRONG

Ya we only had one game where we got blown out and alot of games where we were inches away from a win and a few games where we were blown out and then came back within a few inches of a win and one game where we were truly robbed.

The Atlanta loss was a product of Shaun Hill's miserable play. That was his worst game as a 49er and it took the juice out of the entire team.

The defense certainly didn't do their part, though. They were marching up and down the field like it was their own.
Who gives a s##t what they think. They get so much stuff wrong and are boring as hell to listen to. I barely tolerate First Take and that's enough.
I like Mike and Mike. Watched it this morning. Beat me to the post too.

Originally posted by NinerGod:
Originally posted by zillabeast:

On a funny note, during the "Will Alex be the starter all season?" question, Golic mentioned Shaun Hill as still being Alex's backup.
That's a sign to disregard everything he said.

Mike Golic has always been an idiot, and this just continues to prove it. f**k him, f**k the Eagles, f**k Nutrisystem.

Haha
M& M talk too much, but they don't suck. They have a good show...with a very wide variety of knowledgeable guests. They basically paid our guys some pretty good compliments...their comments about consistency are right on the money.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
M& M talk too much, but they don't suck. They have a good show...with a very wide variety of knowledgeable guests. They basically paid our guys some pretty good compliments...their comments about consistency are right on the money.
12-4 and 11-5 huh? Ya I got that too this morning before work. Needless to say, I was downright shocked to see so much love the biased eastcoast media.

I love my Niners and all, but 12-4? Really? Do they know something we don't?
What would happen if someone here made that prediction? Can you imagine all the "homer" and "drinking the kool-aid" insults that would follow?

Predicting the Niner's record, there is NO WAY I'd go over 10 wins. 10 is a stretch at that IMO. I'm predicting a 9-7 record for the 2010 season, and that's IF everything goes right for the team, ie Alex turns into a good QB, Gore/Davis/Willis/J.Smith stay healthy for the most part, kick/punt return issues get solved.

12-4! Man I just cant get over it. Sure, it IS possible..............but not likely.
12-4, say whaaaat. I love our 9ers, but I think there'd be a better chance of Redman sleeping with Lindsay lohan backstage at the source awards.........It could happen.....
Share 49ersWebzone