LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 282 users in the forums

Game 1 - FIRST HALF - closer offensive look

Shop Find 49ers gear online
As I mentioned in another post, this is what Davis and Iupati will have to work on in the pre-season, pass protection. That is what the pre is there for.

I also thought they would be okay when it came to the power running game, way better looking in this one pre game than last year at this time.
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
Originally posted by baybreaker707:
Originally posted by DynastyChile:

That looks about how high Alex threw it to Ginn, plus the ball he threw to Walker hit both of his hands. When was the last time you seen our receivers make a great catch on a ball in their reach?

Brandon Lloyd, lets end that discussion.

LOL, exactly. With our receivers now, the ball has to be perfect or they're not gonna catch it. And even when the ball is perfect they still drop it. I think it's time we look for a new receivers coach.

Crabtree absolutely has that skill, he is a special receiver. Morgan, Hill, Jones whoever else we throw out there opposite of him, no.

Yeah but with Crabs I hope he shakes off those first season drops.

If we want to see better production from our offense, not only does the qb have to do his job but receivers need to also be reliable enough to make the catch. Especially if the ball is within their reach. I see so many receivers making catches on balls that are way off to slightly off and in traffic on sundays. It's time we expect the same things out of ours and not look at the qb every time something bad happens when the ball is in the air.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by ninertico:
Hey oldman, what did you think about Iupati overall?

I went back and just kept winding and re-winding the film of the game and just came away impressed for a rookie. Love his extension and foot work. Sure, he got beat. But most of the time, he faired very well.

I will expect him to struggle at the beginning of the Minny game because he's not used to the giant fattie power of two behemoths like the Williams. Still, I expect him to adjust and fair better as the series progresses.

I totally have a man-crush on this guy! Funny. A friend of mine here at work also is a die-hard NFL football fan who loves the Lions. He said, "I think its awesome to know someone who actually touts an offensive lineman and wears his jersey." I don't think I was this giddy when we drafted Willis as my wife says.

I just can't wait to see him play Sunday so I can see how he holds up.

Was very pleased with Iupati's play, and everything he's shown since the selection was made. I could really tell that he was focused with his play, and I think he will be an elite guard in a short matter of time.

As for this "perfect placement" thing, I'd rather not get all into a huge debate about it. I will say that receivers are paid a lot of money to make catches. The ball was catchable, and placed in the only spot it could have been to be made. One can argue whether Smith should have thrown to a different target, sure. But the throw was perfectly placed, and Walker couldn't come up with the catch in traffic... and he should have.

Exactly the receivers are suppose to catch balls that are within reach, especially if it hits their hands. To the poster that said Alex needs to help our receivers, how can he help them catch the ball when he has to be behind the line of scrimmage to make the pass? LOL. You want him to help the Oline block too, so that he has time to throw it?

gentlemen. I too agree that the ball was on the money and Walker muffed it.

End of line.
f**kin preseason in niner talk...........

Howdy, GM, and good to be back on board. Oldman, a question. I got to see game after alex had departed, but late in game saw #74 which i thot was wallace on LOS, altho thanks to NFL network, they did not cover themselves in glory covering the OLs.
Question is, if it was actually wallace out there, did he do anything meaningful, did he look outclassed, did he make any plays, or was he just a fizzle? I saw game over someone's shoulder, and didn't get home to tape it.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Howdy, GM, and good to be back on board. Oldman, a question. I got to see game after alex had departed, but late in game saw #74 which i thot was wallace on LOS, altho thanks to NFL network, they did not cover themselves in glory covering the OLs.
Question is, if it was actually wallace out there, did he do anything meaningful, did he look outclassed, did he make any plays, or was he just a fizzle? I saw game over someone's shoulder, and didn't get home to tape it.

I have yet to really breakdown the 2nd half, but Staley (#74) was in... I think 100%... of the LT snaps of the first half. I think they wanted Staley in at LT to help make sure Iupati was showing his best stuff. Wallace has an odd number (#59) and I don't remember him playing when I watched it live. I was focused more on the OTs when watching live.

I plan on getting the 3rd quarter in tomorrow, and can eventually let you know about Wallace. Maiocco's latest blog states that Wallace had 18 snaps as the #3 OC... so I'm guessing he was not playing till the 4th quarter.

[ Edited by oldman9er on Aug 17, 2010 at 14:07:02 ]
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Originally posted by SJniner7:
It should also be noted that Smith's screen pass to Ginn and pass to D. Walker were high...

So was montana's pass to Clark

Montana's pass to Clark wasn't a screen play, nor was it thrown into coverage in the middle of the field.

Niners actually practiced that play with Montana throwing it high. Bill Walsh left very little to chance.
Great job oldman9er
Man this offense makes me angry! Why doesn't Sing and Raye see Alex for what he is???
Smith will NEVER be a good QB playing in a traditional set. He simply cannot be good when he's throwing the ball out of a pro set or I formation. Smith needs to get into a groove early. Raye should be starting out in the shotgun with 3 WRs, 1 TE, and Gore. Sub Walker in for the 3rd WR every now and then to mix in an occasional run. That's the ONLY way Alex will make it in the NFL.
How many times did we see it last year? The team falls WAY behind while Raye is trying to establish the run. After the team is down by 21 points, Raye decides to actually get aggressive and the offense ACTUALLY STARTS MOVING THE BALL AND SCORING SOME f**kING POINTS. Didn't VD tell Sing as much after the GB game last season? If I remember correctly, he said something like "this is who we are coach!" He was telling Sing that the Niner offense actually WORKS when Alex is playing out of the gun in a 3 wide set.
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Man this offense makes me angry! Why doesn't Sing and Raye see Alex for what he is???
Smith will NEVER be a good QB playing in a traditional set. He simply cannot be good when he's throwing the ball out of a pro set or I formation. Smith needs to get into a groove early. Raye should be starting out in the shotgun with 3 WRs, 1 TE, and Gore. Sub Walker in for the 3rd WR every now and then to mix in an occasional run. That's the ONLY way Alex will make it in the NFL.
How many times did we see it last year? The team falls WAY behind while Raye is trying to establish the run. After the team is down by 21 points, Raye decides to actually get aggressive and the offense ACTUALLY STARTS MOVING THE BALL AND SCORING SOME f**kING POINTS. Didn't VD tell Sing as much after the GB game last season? If I remember correctly, he said something like "this is who we are coach!" He was telling Sing that the Niner offense actually WORKS when Alex is playing out of the gun in a 3 wide set.

Yeah I remember Vernon saying that as well. Let's hope they do a full 180 and flip the script during the regular season. By doing just that, going to the spread and attacking early while the score is even.

Great analysis, man! Looking forward to your installment of the 2nd half.
Thanks, all... I'm glad I'm not the only one that appreciates the closer examination of plays...

==========================================================

3rd Quarter Offense

1st and 10 at SF 25 A.Dixon right end to SF 29 for 4 yards (B.King). IND-J.Silva was injured during the play. His return is Questionable.
Boone (at LT) fakes block on RE and runs (swiftly) into 2nd level to strong-side run direction. Successful cut block by de la Puente (at LG)... excellent lunging dive by OC Wragge into the 2nd level to cut down the ILB... small pull block from Snyder (at RG) who does enough to eliminate a defender... AD (at RT) does well enough to shield the rush lane... Really nice blocking from Byham.

2nd and 6 at SF 29 (Run formation) A.Dixon up the middle to SF 29 for no gain (E.Foster, F.Moala).
Boone easily walls off RE to create rush lane... impressive wareness of DLP to help the OC and then break off to block incoming LB... needs to show more power in his blocks though... Snyder and AD really fail on their blocks... allowing the defenders to come around and get Dixon from the back/side.

3rd and 6 at SF 29 D.Carr pass incomplete short left to A.Dixon [E.Foster].
sluggish and slow set up from AD allows the easy sack... Dixon gets shoved down from his cut block attempt... Snyder did his job... Wragge was sorta free, but didn't need to engage... DLP and Boone did fine.

4th and 6 at SF 29 A.Lee punts 48 yards to IND 23, Center-B.Jennings, downed by SF.

1st and 10 at SF 18 A.Dixon up the middle to SF 41 for 23 yards (B.King, P.Angerer).
Haha, Boone drives the RE about 7 yards away from run direction, and plants him into the ground... beautiful pull block from Iupati goes in vain, as there's not much to engage when he gets there... unimpressive, but efficient enough block by Wragge... Great job by Snyder to hit the 2nd level for a good block (can't tell if he sustained it for long)... okay job by AD to do as Baas did... play was intended strong-side, but after 1.5 impressive break-tackles and a swift juke for for the big-boy Dixon, he cuts it weak-side for big gain. great job, rookie!

1st and 10 at SF 41 (Run formation) D.Carr pass deep left to J.Hill pushed ob at IND 35 for 24 yards (D.McCleskey).
good protection from Boone... Iupati was free yet focused and scrappy with help for OC... effective blocking from Wragge, Snyder, AD, and Miller.

1st and 10 at IND 35 (Run formation) A.Dixon left end to IND 30 for 5 yards (J.Hemby). PENALTY on SF-A.Boone, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at IND 33. A. Dixon credited with 2 rushing yards.
Boone does pretty well on handling RE and opening hole... had his left hand a lil too tight and outside of RE's shoulder... a fair holding call, but not something called too often.

1st and 18 at IND 43 (Run formation) D.Carr pass short right to A.Dixon pushed ob at IND 41 for 2 yards (J.Hughes).
Boone free (clearly a man block called) as RE crashes in... Boone puts LB on his butt later with a jolt... effective block by Miller on rushing OLB... interior OL blocked well... AD gives up inside move too easily...

2nd and 16 at IND 41 D.Carr pass deep left to D.Zeigler to IND 23 for 18 yards (K.Conner).
Boone stonewalls RE... Iupati initially does fine, gets turned around but has help from Wragge... Snyder and AD really struggle with their blocks... at least Carr had 3 seconds though

1st and 10 at IND 23 J.Caulcrick right end to IND 19 for 4 yards (F.Moala, D.McCleskey).
Boone gets in 2nd level for effective LB block... Iupati does enough to wall off DT... Wragge whiffs on lunging LB cut block attempt... nice and quick pull block Snyder... smart spin-move by LE leaves AD hanging/pushing on his back and unable to stop tackle... good block effort from J. Hill outside

2nd and 6 at IND 19 (Run formation) D.Carr pass short left to N.Byham pushed ob at IND 7 for 12 yards (J.Hemby). Penalty on IND-J.Hughes, Defensive Offside, declined.
all OL did pretty well protecting here... good block and release Curtis... good pickup block Miller

1st and 7 at IND 7 (Run formation) A.Dixon right end to IND 6 for 1 yard (P.Angerer).
lead block by Byham (as FB) poorly diagnosed (allows defender access to Dixon).... Boone moves freely through non-play side into 2nd level... slides toward play-side... no one to really engage as he's stuck behind bodies of Wragge and Snyder getting minimal push... AD with very unimpressive push... nice wash out block for Curtis....

2nd and 6 at IND 6 (Run formation) A.Dixon left end to IND 8 for -2 yards (B.King).
Boone drives defender 5 yds off LOS... Iupati keeps his man busy, but not dominated... Wragge gets just a piece of LB in 2nd level with lazy block... Play designed for right-side OL to quickly go left. This allows for quick penetration of Snyder's man... AD successfully cuts his man... aware block from Miller...

Timeout #1 by SF at 04:16.
3rd and 8 at IND 8 D.Carr pass short right to T.Curtis for 8 yards,
OL all held enough, as it was a 2 second pass to wide open Curtis... good jobs by interior OL and Dixon for throwing an effective block... Boone and AD were losing real estate around the edges, so hard to tell how that would have finished out had Carr needed to look for another target.

TOUCHDOWN. 26 10
S.Andrus extra point is GOOD, Center-B.Jennings, Holder-A.Lee. 27 10
S.Andrus kicks 65 yards from SF 30 to IND 5. B.James to IND 27 for 22 yards (B.Long).
DRIVE TOTALS: SF 27, IND 10, 10 plays, 80 yards, 5:26 elapsed

end of 3rd quarter
Thanks, all... I'm glad I'm not the only one that appreciates the closer examination of plays...

3rd Quarter Offense

1st and 10 at SF 25 A.Dixon right end to SF 29 for 4 yards (B.King). IND-J.Silva was injured during the play. His return is Questionable.
Boone (at LT) fakes block on RE and runs (swiftly) into 2nd level to strong-side run direction. Successful cut block by de la Puente (at LG)... excellent lunging dive by OC Wragge into the 2nd level to cut down the ILB... small pull block from Snyder (at RG) who does enough to eliminate a defender... AD (at RT) does well enough to shield the rush lane... Really nice blocking from Byham.

2nd and 6 at SF 29 (Run formation) A.Dixon up the middle to SF 29 for no gain (E.Foster, F.Moala).
Boone easily walls off RE to create rush lane... impressive wareness of DLP to help the OC and then break off to block incoming LB... needs to show more power in his blocks though... Snyder and AD really fail on their blocks... allowing the defenders to come around and get Dixon from the back/side.

sluggish and slow set up from AD allows the easy sack... Dixon gets shoved down from his cut block attempt... Snyder did his job... Wragge was sorta free, but didn't need to engage... DLP and Boone did fine.

4th and 6 at SF 29 A.Lee punts 48 yards to IND 23, Center-B.Jennings, downed by SF.

1st and 10 at SF 18 A.Dixon up the middle to SF 41 for 23 yards (B.King, P.Angerer).
Haha, Boone drives the RE about 7 yards away from run direction, and plants him into the ground... beautiful pull block from Iupati goes in vain, as there's not much to engage when he gets there... unimpressive, but efficient enough block by Wragge... Great job by Snyder to hit the 2nd level for a good block (can't tell if he sustained it for long)... okay job by AD to do as Baas did... play was intended strong-side, but after 1.5 impressive break-tackles and a swift juke for for the big-boy Dixon, he cuts it weak-side for big gain. great job, rookie!

1st and 10 at SF 41 (Run formation) D.Carr pass deep left to J.Hill pushed ob at IND 35 for 24 yards (D.McCleskey).
good protection from Boone... Iupati was free yet focused and scrappy with help for OC... effective blocking from Wragge, Snyder, AD, and Miller.

1st and 10 at IND 35 (Run formation) A.Dixon left end to IND 30 for 5 yards (J.Hemby). PENALTY on SF-A.Boone, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at IND 33. A. Dixon credited with 2 rushing yards.
Boone does pretty well on handling RE and opening hole... had his left hand a lil too tight and outside of RE's shoulder... a fair holding call, but not something called too often.

1st and 18 at IND 43 (Run formation) D.Carr pass short right to A.Dixon pushed ob at IND 41 for 2 yards (J.Hughes).
Boone free (clearly a man block called) as RE crashes in... Boone puts LB on his butt later with a jolt... effective block by Miller on rushing OLB... interior OL blocked well... AD gives up inside move too easily...

2nd and 16 at IND 41 D.Carr pass deep left to D.Zeigler to IND 23 for 18 yards (K.Conner).
Boone stonewalls RE... Iupati initially does fine, gets turned around but has help from Wragge... Snyder and AD really struggle with their blocks... at least Carr had 3 seconds though

1st and 10 at IND 23 J.Caulcrick right end to IND 19 for 4 yards (F.Moala, D.McCleskey).
Boone gets in 2nd level for effective LB block... Iupati does enough to wall off DT... Wragge whiffs on lunging LB cut block attempt... nice and quick pull block Snyder... smart spin-move by LE leaves AD hanging/pushing on his back and unable to stop tackle... good block effort from J. Hill outside

2nd and 6 at IND 19 (Run formation) D.Carr pass short left to N.Byham pushed ob at IND 7 for 12 yards (J.Hemby). Penalty on IND-J.Hughes, Defensive Offside, declined.
all OL did pretty well protecting here... good block and release Curtis... good pickup block Miller

1st and 7 at IND 7 (Run formation) A.Dixon right end to IND 6 for 1 yard (P.Angerer).
lead block by Byham (as FB) poorly diagnosed (allows defender access to Dixon).... Boone moves freely through non-play side into 2nd level... slides toward play-side... no one to really engage as he's stuck behind bodies of Wragge and Snyder getting minimal push... AD with very unimpressive push... nice wash out block for Curtis....

2nd and 6 at IND 6 (Run formation) A.Dixon left end to IND 8 for -2 yards (B.King).
Boone drives defender 5 yds off LOS... Iupati keeps his man busy, but not dominated... Wragge gets just a piece of LB in 2nd level with lazy block... Play designed for right-side OL to quickly go left. This allows for quick penetration of Snyder's man... AD successfully cuts his man... aware block from Miller...

OL all held enough, as it was a 2 second pass to wide open Curtis... good jobs by interior OL and Dixon for throwing an effective block... Boone and AD were losing real estate around the edges, so hard to tell how that would have finished out had Carr needed to look for another target.

TOUCHDOWN. 26 10
S.Andrus kicks 65 yards from SF 30 to IND 5. B.James to IND 27 for 22 yards (B.Long).

end of 3rd quarter

This is what I miss and love about Niner talk, you're the man for these breakdowns!
Originally posted by verb1der:

3rd Quarter Offense

TOUCHDOWN. 26 10

end of 3rd quarter

This is what I miss and love about Niner talk, you're the man for these breakdowns!

You and me both.

It looks like Boone was pretty dominate, after all the talk I heard this off-season. WHY is he not starting (RT), I understand it was against second string but man with the way AD was looking in the game, maybe we need to reconsider. But it seems we are still having issues with that RG position
Originally posted by D_Niner:

That looks about how high Alex threw it to Ginn, plus the ball he threw to Walker hit both of his hands. When was the last time you seen our receivers make a great catch on a ball in their reach?

Please look at that again. The ball placement left Ginn exposed to the big hit and would not have allowed Ginn to even make the yard to gain...
Share 49ersWebzone