LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 147 users in the forums

Why does everyone hate on Baas? When Chilo sucks too

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Why does everyone hate on Baas? When Chilo sucks too.

Hell during the colts game Chilo was getting owned on about 70% of the plays.

We really need him to step it up or maybe they will have to start Wragge

Because Chilo went to USC and Baas went to Michigan. It's called "CA BIAS." There is lots of that on the WZ. The other factor is people on the WZ think every player who went to USC or CAL is a superstar. Those are the 2 favored schools on 49ers WZ. That's why. Any more questions?...

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Aug 17, 2010 at 23:43:24 ]
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
One game, people. Relax! He's playing between two new starters, and that is going to be a big challenge.

Cody Wallace >>>>>>>>>>> Eric Heitmann

suck on that

is that why hes backing up baas at center right now
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Because Chilo went to USC and Baas went to Michigan. It's called "CA BIAS." There is lots of that on the WZ. The other factor is people on the WZ think every player who went to USC or CAL is a superstar. Those are the 2 favored schools on 49ers WZ. That's why. Any more questions?...

To be fair, it is also happening on the field. I remember Baas dominating at times last season (granted, those times were few and far between), but I can't remember saying that I saw the same from Rachal. I'd like to see Rachal sent to the bench. If he has the hunger to develop and reclaim his spot as a starter, he will. If not, well, then his heart isn't in football and Glenn Coffee did what more of those men in similar situations should do.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:

To be fair, it is also happening on the field. I remember Baas dominating at times last season (granted, those times were few and far between), but I can't remember saying that I saw the same from Rachal. I'd like to see Rachal sent to the bench. If he has the hunger to develop and reclaim his spot as a starter, he will. If not, well, then his heart isn't in football and Glenn Coffee did what more of those men in similar situations should do.

Chilo gets owned every game. He completely sucks.

I've never heard anyone say he lacks talent or the body before... I've always heard, and observed, he lacks the intensity that is necessary to play the position.

Do you recall our game against the Bears last year? The 49ers went down the field on the opening series, and unfortunately, Crabtree dropped what should have been a TD pass by Smith. The next play, Rachal gets shoved out of the way and gives up a sack, taking us to a range where Nedney's FG attempt was missed. It seemed like Rachal had several crucial collapses like that last season, but when you watched the plays, it seemed as those he was simply trying to make as little contact as possible with the man he was blocking.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:

I've never heard anyone say he lacks talent or the body before... I've always heard, and observed, he lacks the intensity that is necessary to play the position.

Do you recall our game against the Bears last year? The 49ers went down the field on the opening series, and unfortunately, Crabtree dropped what should have been a TD pass by Smith. The next play, Rachal gets shoved out of the way and gives up a sack, taking us to a range where Nedney's FG attempt was missed. It seemed like Rachal had several crucial collapses like that last season, but when you watched the plays, it seemed as those he was simply trying to make as little contact as possible with the man he was blocking.

He's soft and scared of contact. A bad trait for a linemen.

I'd say that us cal fans aren't that big of homers. The only superstar we had last year was Best, and he's the only player that got that kind of love. Desean Jackson as well because he was a superstar. There's also Zack Follet who went in the seventh round last year who I was very high on, and he's starting for the lions now. This season? Shane Vereen if we're lucky. There haven't been many Cal prospects drafted lately anyway, just 6 the last two years so I'm not sure why you mentioned that.

And the reason why no one hates on Chilo is because he has a "pancake city" tattoo, who can hate on that.
Why do people hate on Baas but not Rachal?

Rachal has not impressed for 2 years. Baas has not impressed for 5 years.

Case closed.
Originally posted by AKfanster:
One game, people. Relax! He's playing between two new starters, and that is going to be a big challenge.

One game????? Did you see any games last season? Every D in league knows how to beat Chilo, STUNT. He got owned constantly when the D line ran stunts. Lucky for him he was playing next to Snyder. Snyder got ALL the negative attention and Rachal was kinda under the radar. Rachal better hope Davis doesn't shine this year. If Davis develops into a good RT, Rachal will be exposed for what he is..........THE NEW WEAK LINK. If he doesn't step his game up, we'll be seeing Snyder, Wragge, or Baas playing RG by the end of the season.

Now, if Davis struggles with pass protection in his first year, Rachal should be able to avoid the spotlight for another year.

Nobody was a bigger critic of Rachal's play last season than me. He really struggled early in the year. However, to be fair, his play the second half of the year was much improved.

Last year is last year. This was one preseason game, and I think many on this board are hyperanalyzing one half of a game's performance. As I stated before, he is sandwiched between two new starters, and that is going to provide a challenge for a young player.

suck on that

Wallace is our 4th string center. If we had a 5th center on the roster, he'd be our 5th stringer.

For the record, I had Notre Dame center John Sullivan on my 2008 draft board graded three rounds higher than Wallace, who I believed was a 6th round talent, at best. Wallace went to the Niners at 4, Sullivan to the Vikings at 6, and the rest is history.

Another disasterous draft selection, as I stated on draft day.

suck on that

Wallace is our 4th string center. If we had a 5th center on the roster, he'd be our 5th stringer.

For the record, I had Notre Dame center John Sullivan on my 2008 draft board graded three rounds higher than Wallace, who I believed was a 6th round talent, at best. Wallace went to the Niners at 4, Sullivan to the Vikings at 6, and the rest is history.

Any thoughts on Boone and his progression?
They both suck equally...better?

suck on that

Wow GEEK, I think you missed the tone of Dog's statement. Baas is a new Starter and Davis is a new Starter.

Rachal has never played next to Baas, so he's not used to not having help. And he's next to a Rookie Tackle.

Give him some time, he'll get there. But if not then we have Wragge, who can do the job. And should that not work out Heitmann can take his old spot back if Baas is holding down the Center position.

But I digress, Dog wasn't up to his usual negativity.

~Ceadder
We don't hate on Chilo as much because when he transforms into Beast Mode (full moon required), it's all over.
Originally posted by jreff22:

suck on that

Any thoughts on Boone and his progression?

You know we keep hearing how he's in shape but i'm not hearing about how he is actually performing.
Share 49ersWebzone