LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 282 users in the forums

Dixon back to 3rd string

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by confusedrhino:
Dixon deserves at least 1/4 of the carries this year. The guy obviously has TONS of talent, something that Coffee or Robinson never/don't have. The triple juke and the stiff arm were sickkkk.

Please 49ers, don't screw this up and put him on the PS or something stupid just because you have to cater to the veterans and don't want to give a rookie anything early.

Westbrook is gonna be our punt returner and maybe 3rd down back in passing situations. Dixon will be the back up.
Originally posted by baybreaker707:
Dixon deserves at least 1/4 of the carries this year. The guy obviously has TONS of talent, something that Coffee or Robinson never/don't have. The triple juke and the stiff arm were sickkkk.

Please 49ers, don't screw this up and put him on the PS or something stupid just because you have to cater to the veterans and don't want to give a rookie anything early.

Westbrook is gonna be our punt returner and maybe 3rd down back in passing situations. Dixon will be the back up.

What the hell are you talking about
Originally posted by jreff22:

What the hell are you talking about

You beat me to it!
  • hb123
  • Veteran
yea dix looked pretty good.. i give him that.. i dont get excited over it though because we get teased like this a lot. everyone loved thomas clayton bcus he lookd good in preseason too. he's was let go.. everyone was raving about coffee too because he was a force in preseason as well.. he didn't look so great though during the reg season..

but thats just how i feel. hopefully westbrook holds it down (as gore's back up) and does a good job while dixon develops and is ready to go when westb is done..
I think Dixon can now get more training in pass blocking by two pro bowl RBs. Dixon can run, but he still has difficulty picking up the blocking requirements. Sing is not going to kill off A. Smith so that Dixon can run. I think we will keep Dixon on the 53 man squad and give him enough work to keep him involved in his training. Westbrook will be good for Gore and good for Dixon.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
I was thrilled to see what Dixon did against the colts, but this situation is too good to pass up. Gore and Westbrook in the back field at the same time is a nightmare for defenses. Add Vernon and Crabtree and teams aren't going to be able to cover all of them.

I was thrilled with Dixon too , and now he has time to learn all of the other aspects of being a RB like pass protection. He will be that much more complete when he gets on the field.

no way one preseason game does not mean that dixon needs a 1/4 of all rushes
Clayton is nowhere near the player Dixon is, and was in college. Dixon had more yards and carries in a single year than Clayton had his entire college career.

There is no comparison. The two players are completely incomparable.

Dixon is making the team, barring injury. He is exactly the player Singletary has been looking for -- hard-nosed bruising back.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Aug 17, 2010 at 00:04:35 ]
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
I was thrilled to see what Dixon did against the colts, but this situation is too good to pass up. Gore and Westbrook in the back field at the same time is a nightmare for defenses. Add Vernon and Crabtree and teams aren't going to be able to cover all of them.

Great point. But let's just hope that Alex is able to throw the ball accurately! If he does, our offense would be so much ahead from last season.

I loved what Dixon did against the Colts but I agree that one preseason game against 2nd and 3rd stringers isn't enough to go by.

Dixon maybe 3rd string but I think that's misleading. I see Dixon being more of a backup to Gore and Westbrook being more of the "other" back so I think Dixon will get some snaps this year even if Gore is healthy. And if Gore goes down Westbrook's snaps will increase especially on 3rd downs but he's not going to suddenly to be the feature back and I think Dixon will get a good deal of snaps.

westbrook is gonna be the PR guy? your tv is busted
This can only be a good thing for Dixon. Hes got time to learn of the other two. Hes got two of the better teachers at RB to help develop his running game.

[ Edited by ace49ers on Aug 17, 2010 at 04:57:53 ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Clayton is nowhere near the player Dixon is, and was in college. Dixon had more yards and carries in a single year than Clayton had his entire college career.

There is no comparison. The two players are completely incomparable.

Dixon is making the team, barring injury. He is exactly the player Singletary has been looking for -- hard-nosed bruising back.

It looked like Dixon got winded quite easily in his first pre-season game. Singletary may have not liked that.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I think Dixon is the perfect guy to come in at the end of the game when we're trying to protect a lead and just pound the ball down the opponents throat.

[ Edited by mayo63 on Aug 17, 2010 at 05:59:24 ]
Share 49ersWebzone