There are 147 users in the forums

Dixon back to 3rd string

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Rookie running back Anthony Dixon, as impressive as he was Sunday, is back where he was when camp began.

CSNBA

Hopefully Dixon can get some playing time in situational plays. He is a different type of runner than Westbrook, but I hope Raye can use Gore and Westbrook on the field at the same time.
Papers should hire me, I'll work for free. I'm tired of reading poorly thought out perspectives. Is Dixon really back where he was at the beginning of camp? There is a correct answer to this question, and it is no. Yesterday Dixon showed that he had talent and could play with Mike Singletary's primary expectation, toughness. He finished off runs by tossing his body into defenders and clotheslined a DB as he trampled into the endzone. Before camp, there was no guarantee he would make the team. Today, there is. And no one thought this was going to be Dixon's season. We have one of the best RBs in the league and we just added another elite talent, albeit, he is out of his prime.

Further, this is the NFL. Just yesterday the Bills lost Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson in a matter of moments. Dixon will see the field this year, and hopefully he can continue to emerge and be a star for us when Gore's time has passed.
I was thrilled to see what Dixon did against the colts, but this situation is too good to pass up. Gore and Westbrook in the back field at the same time is a nightmare for defenses. Add Vernon and Crabtree and teams aren't going to be able to cover all of them.

[ Edited by StOnEy333 on Aug 16, 2010 at 20:05:01 ]
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Rookie running back Anthony Dixon, as impressive as he was Sunday, is back where he was when camp began.

CSNBA

Hopefully Dixon can get some playing time in situational plays. He is a different type of runner than Westbrook, but I hope Raye can use Gore and Westbrook on the field at the same time.

i agree...i hope dixon gets some snaps this year. but as we all know from recent history it's hard enough for gore's backup to get some touches...let alone a third stringer.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
I hope we dont end up with him on the PS like Sheets....
  • Chief
  • Veteran
He is overrated (at this point) anyway, he played one game in the preseason. Remember Thomas Clayton who lead the NFL in rushing during the 2007 Pre-season?

He will still get his preseason time, and if he fizzles we have a solid vet ahead of him.
Dixon can't ask for a better gift than Gore and Westbrook, two pro-bowl RBs who coicidentally are also the #1 and #2 pass blockers in the league, IMO. I mean, what better mentors in pass protection than those two.

Wow!!! Dixon, if he just listens and pays attention to those two's work ethic and technique, his own skills will be honed in by season's end where his fresh legs could do some serious damage in the fourth of a playoff game.

Just sayin'...

Originally posted by Chief:
He is overrated (at this point) anyway, he played one game in the preseason. Remember Thomas Clayton who lead the NFL in rushing during the 2007 Pre-season?

He will still get his preseason time, and if he fizzles we have a solid vet ahead of him.

Beg to differ as Clayton was no where near his size or his record in college. Dixon weighs over 240 right now I bet and he ran with extraordinary footwork for a man his size, stop and go as you please. Clayton never did that, never.

Hell, Dixon's after the initial contact "hits" rival those from Bettis except Dixon sure looks lighter on his feet. The bottom line he's a rook, but everyone who I have come in contact with today who love the NFL, not just the 49ers, mentioned him by name.

That says quite a bit.

[ Edited by ninertico on Aug 16, 2010 at 19:40:28 ]
Originally posted by Chief:

Thomas Clayton burned those who were trying to make teams. Dixon showed an ability to run between the tackles, great vision, power and burst. The sample size is small right now, but the early results are promising to say the least.

[ Edited by Kilgore_Trout on Aug 17, 2010 at 00:08:06 ]
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
I hope not. Westbrook did great for the Eagles but this isn't 2006. Dixon is still #2 in my book. Don't get me wrong, I still think Westbrook can be used as another dimension out of our back field. It's not like I'm saying that he should warm the bench.
If we are trying to pound the ball in short yardage I'd expect Happy Feet Dixon to get the call.

Originally posted by TheNef77:
I hope not. Westbrook did great for the Eagles but this isn't 2006. Dixon is still #2 in my book. Don't get me wrong, I still think Westbrook can be used as another dimension out of our back field. It's not like I'm saying that he should warm the bench.

I'm not sure about his healthy either. Ratto pointed out that every concussion you get is worst than that last. Didn't he get 2 pretty sever ones last year.

I guess that means he is one wrong hit away from retiring.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
He'll move up once he earns it. This could add additional fuel to his fire to become a legit RB in the league.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Papers should hire me, I'll work for free. I'm tired of reading poorly thought out perspectives. Is Dixon really back where he was at the beginning of camp? There is a correct answer to this question, and it is no. Yesterday Dixon showed that he had talent and could play with Mike Singletary's primary expectation, toughness. He finished off runs by tossing his body into defenders and clotheslined a DB as he trampled into the endzone. Before camp, there was no guarantee he would make the team. Today, there is. And no one thought this was going to be Dixon's season. We have one of the best RBs in the league and we just added another elite talent, albeit, he is out of his prime.

Further, this is the NFL. Just yesterday the Bills lost Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson in a matter of moments. Dixon will see the field this year, and hopefully he can continue to emerge and be a star for us when Gore's time has passed.

Coudn't agree more Dixon is here to stay and thats obvious. Love Gore to death but nothing is worse than seeing him check himself out of the game after a 20 yard run the drop off when he came out was almost unbearable to watch. Even with Westbrook Dixon will get plenty of chances this team has struggled with short yardage (even Gore) for years.
O yea I live 30 minutes outside of Philly Westbrook might be older but he still has plenty in the tank he can take a 3 and long dump off into a first down or atleast fieldgoal range at the drop of a hat.
I think its good that Westbrook signed and Dixon goes back to 3rd string. Dixon can work on his blitz pickup and pass protection. No way they expose him to the practice squad and risk losing him.
Member Milestone: This is post number 900 for confusedrhino.
Dixon deserves at least 1/4 of the carries this year. The guy obviously has TONS of talent, something that Coffee or Robinson never/don't have. The triple juke and the stiff arm were sickkkk.

Please 49ers, don't screw this up and put him on the PS or something stupid just because you have to cater to the veterans and don't want to give a rookie anything early.
Share 49ersWebzone