LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 284 users in the forums

Negativity doesn't help create a winning mentality.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
There is a book you can checkout at the library published by a German scientist called Nanna. It is about the power of positivity. If you can believe it, his research is documented in the molecules that makeup plant-life. This scientist found that talking positively to plants, improves their overall wellbeing. A quick web search can lead you to more about this topic if you're interested, but the focus of this thread is on some of the fans of this team.

Whether you're a Smith supporter, a Smith doubter, a Smith hater, or Alex Smith himself, we all know he has a lot to prove and hasn't delivered what was expected of him when he was drafted in 2005. As fans, we are all hoping for the best. And as fans, we all know that if he doesn't deliver this season, he won't be here in the future. So what is left to talk about? Nothing? Do you agree? Okay, lets move on. And further, if we don't have anything positive to say or something of new and interest, then lets keep it to ourselves... for the benefit of the team. Honestly, do you know how ridiculous it looks to crucify Smith over one bad pass in Week 1 of the preseason, after he is coming off of the best season of his career and helping the 49ers earn their best outcome to a season in nearly a decade?

Just as Smith is treated poorly by some 49er fans, so are Raye, Singletary, and others. Again, give it a rest. Fans of the team know the deal and they know what the positives and strengths are of these coaches and players, and they know what the shortcomings are. So many fans seem to take issue with the negatives while never weighing the positives. Whenever you're evaluating something, you have to weigh the good and the bad. As fans we know the team is improving and heading in a better direction than when it was being lead by Nolan and McCloughan. The team chemistry is better, the talent is better, and we're now recruiting quality veterans such as Brian Westbrook. Do you think Brian Westbrook would have chosen to play for the 2005 49ers over the 2010 49ers?

The division is ours to lose people! What is with "the sky is falling" mentality? What are we so afraid of? Instead of believing that you know the future, why don't you sit back, relax, and see what actually transpires? Who benefits from bashing a player over a bad play? If someone knows, I'm listening. What I notice is that those who bash Smith never want to give him his due when he does something positive. If you're one of those people, it is time to look in the mirror and ask yourself why you're behaving in such a way.

If you want Smith to do better, be positive. It is well known that a QB benefits from confidence, and confidence can be instilled in a person by knowing that others have confidence in them. We've seen this guy toss 3 TDs in a half, so we know he has the ability. It is a mental battle for Smith at this point, and if we want to help him with that, we need to be in his corner. And remember, supporting Smith doesn't mean you prefer his skill set over Carr's or Davis's, it just means you're hoping he succeeds so that the team succeeds.

Wow. Great stuff.
  • hb123
  • Veteran
yea i give u props! love this post n it's message...

i try to be positive about our qb but when he plays he just keeps ruining my hopes a bit :/ like is he ever gonna get it together?

but i'll try man, live by smith, die by smith as long as he's starting!!
Originally posted by hb123:
yea i give u props! love this post n it's message...

i try to be positive about our qb but when he plays he just keeps ruining my hopes a bit :/ like is he ever gonna get it together?

but i'll try man, live by smith, die by smith as long as he's starting!!

That is how we all feel I imagine. We just want him to succeed so we can return to winning on a regular basis. With winning will come happiness and less bickering amongst fans. The last five or so years, it has been frustrating watching fans fight over issues that are, at the end of the day, to no one's benefit. And thanks for the nice words!

[ Edited by Kilgore_Trout on Aug 16, 2010 at 22:57:46 ]
Originally posted by global_nomad:

this thread is like these people. They were all thinking positive about winning.

But failed.

Green shirt didn't fail?
Man this positivity bulls*it is overhyped ever since The Secret came out... Negativity is the way to go.
Originally posted by sacniner:
Man this positivity bulls*it is overhyped ever since The Secret came out... Negativity is the way to go.
The Secret came out and now there's a recession.
Originally posted by LloydsKittyKat:
So you're saying that Alex is mentally weak and needs fanboys in order to be a competent QB?

I think, if I was Alex I would prefer fangirls.

Originally posted by 49ersBest1:

haha, just picture yourself having money and it'll come... if you are rich to begin with.
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:

this thread is like these people. They were all thinking positive about winning.

But failed.

Green shirt didn't fail?

Nice observation.

Looks like global_nomad has shot himself in the foot. His own gif is proof that positive thinking does in fact help as evidenced by green shirt winning.

-9fA

We voted for Hype and Change....Whaaapin?

Anyway, good thread. Screw the haters and insecure neanderthals.

Visualize world peace and using your damn turn signal.

But failed.

Green shirt didn't fail?

That is one of the funniest posts I have ever seen on the webzone.

But I need to point something out.

The man in the blue shirt was clearly losing to the man in the green shirt as the race neared its exciting finish, and my theory is that the man in the blue shirt started worrying about losing to the man in the green shirt, which caused him to trip every body else up, and hence, "fail".
The other two people were clearly unlucky to be tripped up by the nimrod in the blue shirt.

So I think this clip demonstrates both positive thinking (green shirt), negative thinking (blue shirt) and bad luck. Alex Smith, like all of us, has surely experienced all three in his career.
Originally posted by TDilvr:

We voted for Hype and Change....Whaaapin?

Anyway, good thread. Screw the haters and insecure neanderthals.

Visualize world peace and using your damn turn signal.

Well it's not an end all perspective. Being optimistic isn't going to change any result when your stairing down the barrel of a gun. The signs where there before the voting most people just didn't care to notice, but generally positive outlooks really help most situations.
Wouldn't this be great. No accountability for my failures because everyone is so afraid to think a negative thought. I can see all my failures just drifting away. No need to think about them or do anything about them because that would make me think bad thoughts. Break out the patchouli and incense cause it's 4:20 somewhere, right?

Sarcasm aside, This is some stupid crap. Our team is not going to get better until someone points out what they are doing wrong and they get a chance to improve upon it. So I'll counter your theory with another Theory...

Skinner's reinforcement theory simply states those employees' behaviors that lead to positive outcomes will be repeated and behaviors that lead to negative outcomes will not be repeated (Skinner, 1953). Managers should positively reinforce employee behaviors that lead to positive outcomes. Managers should negatively reinforce employee behavior that leads to negative outcomes.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by BrianGO:

But failed.

Green shirt didn't fail?

That is one of the funniest posts I have ever seen on the webzone.

But I need to point something out.

The man in the blue shirt was clearly losing to the man in the green shirt as the race neared its exciting finish, and my theory is that the man in the blue shirt started worrying about losing to the man in the green shirt, which caused him to trip every body else up, and hence, "fail".
The other two people were clearly unlucky to be tripped up by the nimrod in the blue shirt.

So I think this clip demonstrates both positive thinking (green shirt), negative thinking (blue shirt) and bad luck. Alex Smith, like all of us, has surely experienced all three in his career.

Yeah it was him thinking that made him fail

Blue shirt being the most uncoordinated runner I’ve ever seen had nothing to do with it

Blue shirt failed when he agreed to the race
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
There is a book you can checkout at the library published by a German scientist called Nanna. It is about the power of positivity. If you can believe it, his research is documented in the molecules that makeup plant-life. This scientist found that talking positively to plants, improves their overall wellbeing. A quick web search can lead you to more about this topic if you're interested, but the focus of this thread is on some of the fans of this team.

Whether you're a Smith supporter, a Smith doubter, a Smith hater, or Alex Smith himself, we all know he has a lot to prove and hasn't delivered what was expected of him when he was drafted in 2005. As fans, we are all hoping for the best. And as fans, we all know that if he doesn't deliver this season, he won't be here in the future. So what is left to talk about? Nothing? Do you agree? Okay, lets move on. And further, if we don't have anything positive to say or something of new and interest, then lets keep it to ourselves... for the benefit of the team. Honestly, do you know how ridiculous it looks to crucify Smith over one bad pass in Week 1 of the preseason, after he is coming off of the best season of his career and helping the 49ers earn their best outcome to a season in nearly a decade?

Just as Smith is treated poorly by some 49er fans, so are Raye, Singletary, and others. Again, give it a rest. Fans of the team know the deal and they know what the positives and strengths are of these coaches and players, and they know what the shortcomings are. So many fans seem to take issue with the negatives while never weighing the positives. Whenever you're evaluating something, you have to weigh the good and the bad. As fans we know the team is improving and heading in a better direction than when it was being lead by Nolan and McCloughan. The team chemistry is better, the talent is better, and we're now recruiting quality veterans such as Brian Westbrook. Do you think Brian Westbrook would have chosen to play for the 2005 49ers over the 2010 49ers?

The division is ours to lose people! What is with "the sky is falling" mentality? What are we so afraid of? Instead of believing that you know the future, why don't you sit back, relax, and see what actually transpires? Who benefits from bashing a player over a bad play? If someone knows, I'm listening. What I notice is that those who bash Smith never want to give him his due when he does something positive. If you're one of those people, it is time to look in the mirror and ask yourself why you're behaving in such a way.

If you want Smith to do better, be positive. It is well known that a QB benefits from confidence, and confidence can be instilled in a person by knowing that others have confidence in them. We've seen this guy toss 3 TDs in a half, so we know he has the ability. It is a mental battle for Smith at this point, and if we want to help him with that, we need to be in his corner. And remember, supporting Smith doesn't mean you prefer his skill set over Carr's or Davis's, it just means you're hoping he succeeds so that the team succeeds.

That's all fine and good, but what does a "winning mentality" amongst fans have to do with the way the team performs? None of the players, including Smith, come here to read people criticizing them.

In other words, not commenting on somebody's mistakes is not going to help the team in any way.
Share 49ersWebzone