There are 274 users in the forums

One positive thing about the preseason game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Depth.

Apparently, the backups and reserves trying to make this squad are of a higher ilk than Indianapolis. A lot of the Niner's key players were out yesterday and two rookies started on the O-line, not exactly the lineup you want out there to win games. But the rest of the string beat-up on a well prepared, winning ball club.

The NFL season is won as much by attrition as it is with talent. Injuries will bump at least one championship-caliber team down a rung and one mid-level talent team that responds well up into that bracket. Nothing's certain but the Niners could be that upward bound team this year.
Good point. Especially on defense, we're about as deep as we've been in years. CB isn't as talented, but d-line, LBs and safeties look extremely solid.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jesserdumas2:
Depth.

Apparently, the backups and reserves trying to make this squad are of a higher ilk than Indianapolis. A lot of the Niner's key players were out yesterday and two rookies started on the O-line, not exactly the lineup you want out there to win games. But the rest of the string beat-up on a well prepared, winning ball club.

The NFL season is won as much by attrition as it is with talent. Injuries will bump at least one championship-caliber team down a rung and one mid-level talent team that responds well up into that bracket. Nothing's certain but the Niners could be that upward bound team this year.

It's why there's a preseason
Pre season is more about figuring out the depth chart and what you have for backups. Like the Colts announcers said they have only won 4 pre season games in the last 4 years. They are looking to develop guys... if they wanted to win they would leave Peyton in longer.

Agreed though... we have a lot of depth.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Good point. Especially on defense, we're about as deep as we've been in years. CB isn't as talented, but d-line, LBs and safeties look extremely solid.

hopefully this translates to a good ST as well.
Agree 100%, was thinking that yesterday when we were watching the game.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Pre season is more about figuring out the depth chart and what you have for backups. Like the Colts announcers said they have only won 4 pre season games in the last 4 years. They are looking to develop guys... if they wanted to win they would leave Peyton in longer.

this.

I can't stand when people get all hyped up about a win in preseason. Raider fan type s**t. All the raider fans I know were hyped up that they beat the cowboys.
Mays looks very slow out there
Originally posted by SoCal9ers:
Mays looks very slow out there

Didn't on that on screen play he showed great burst on the tackle. I don't think he was "slow" out there as much as he just doesn't know what is going on yet. Like that Tamme catch he was fine then he decided to go with one of the Colts WRs that was already being covered by our guy. By the time he decided he was going with the wrong guy Tamme was wide open.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by Gore_21:

this.

I can't stand when people get all hyped up about a win in preseason. Raider fan type s**t. All the raider fans I know were hyped up that they beat the cowboys.

I am not hyped at the win, to much other considerations like it was painter and not peyton in their and we didn't use all out starters or the playbook for things usually vanilla.

However, I love what I am seeing in individual play when given the op, like Dixon, Williams and RJF.

The o-line like I thought it would be good with the run, but needs work in pass protection.

Why are we throwing Anthony Davis out there already again? His pass protection clearly is not even close to where in needs to be.
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
Why are we throwing Anthony Davis out there already again? His pass protection clearly is not even close to where in needs to be.

He played a good chunk of the game because he needs reps. Hopefully it helps him get ready for the start of the season. I agree he isn't ready but getting "live" reps can only help him get better. Every issue with him can be fixed. It's mostly technical... he looked good with run blocking but he needs to learn to pass protect better. Mainly with speed rushers going around him. It's only been 1 game so I am not worried. Heck, Kwame was getting beat by speed rushers left and right 3 years into starting. We know we have a problem then.
yea, might as well get him all the reps we can.
Good point. Hopefully this means were still playing good ball in December and January...
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Well, I think we all know that if the team ends its 8 year playoff drought this season, it will be because of the defense. If just one player makes a significant leap in production this year, reserve or roll-playing starter, it could be huge.
Share 49ersWebzone