There are 157 users in the forums

Vikings at 49ers Preseason Game 2

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
Originally posted by oregondave:
We need to do an Inception and go into Jimmy Rayes head and take out the draw and screen plays he loves so much

it's called pre-season dude.

Thank you for that Oregon knowledge but im also referring to last year when it seemed like it was Raye's Favorite third down play.

Oregon knowledge? Nice job of applying piss-poor stereotypes. By the way, you're clearly thinking of an "Extraction" not Inception.

LOL nice Inception knowledge LMAO
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Solid performance by Alex Smith. Decent one by Nate D. Phillip Adams played well also. Cant wait to see all our starters back on the field, plus Kyle Williams.

Oh and thank you Manhusky for listening to my "all out blitz Favre" prayer.

Yeah that thing was a beaut. So glad to have a coaching staff with sum cajones.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Wait he's disappointed in Davis for missing some protection calls?

what is funny is, I have never heard Sing use those types of words for Alex...."Very Disappointed"

Apparently Nate has disappointed Singletary to new levels.....Nate might be the worst QB Sing has had so far.....going by his words.

disspointing doesnt mean worst he just expected more out of him
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by valrod33:
MaioccoCSN One thing apparent after this game: Nate Davis is not competing for the backup job. Mike Singletary very disappointed in Davis.
MaioccoCSN Singletary questioned Nate Davis' work ethic. Davis, admittedly, blew several protection calls in this game.

Then cut his ass. I like the raw talent that Davis has, but if his learning disability is such a problem, thats all he will ever have, raw talent.

While we are at it. Tell him to take Haralson with him. I'm sick of seeing him get burnt on the edges. He is not starter material. He is a good back up.

my comment on getting ahead of ourselves on Davis applies here as well. Chill dude.

Several years ago when PH was superior talent on SF, that really was more of an indication just how little talent SF had. SF has been missing a solid pass rush for so long. I see it as a good thing that we can now credibly speculate as to whether or not he even makes the final roster.

It's looking more and more like Baalke had a helluva draft and has brought in some great talent. I look forward to watching McHit-N-miss "help" the Seahens now.
Solid performance by Alex Smith. Decent one by Nate D. Phillip Adams played well also. Cant wait to see all our starters back on the field, plus Kyle Williams.

Oh and thank you Manhusky for listening to my "all out blitz Favre" prayer.

Agreed with everything and LaBoy impressed me.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Wait he's disappointed in Davis for missing some protection calls?

what is funny is, I have never heard Sing use those types of words for Alex...."Very Disappointed"

Apparently Nate has disappointed Singletary to new levels.....Nate might be the worst QB Sing has had so far.....going by his words.

disspointing doesnt mean worst he just expected more out of him

Quote:
(08-22) 21:13 PDT

-- Don't call it The Drive. It was too game-opening, too exhibition-season, too Aug. 22 to merit a capital-lettered nickname.

The 49ers will settle with calling it a welcome leap forward for their starting offense, which kicked off Sunday's 15-10 exhibition victory over the Vikings with a 12-play, 70-yard, 6:57-long touchdown drive.

That was one of the NFL's top returning defenses on Candlestick's grass, mind you.

"We just took it down the field methodically," quarterback Alex Smith said. "That's not a bad defense we were going up against. We just came out against the No. 1 rush defense in the NFL and marched it down the field."

The 49ers did it with tight end Delanie Walker catching 24- and 11-yard passes, all while Pro Bowl starter Vernon Davis and his strained knee sat.

They did it with rookie running back Anthony Dixon bouncing around the corner on a 4-yard touchdown, all while Pro Bowl running backs Frank Gore and Brian Westbrook rested.

They did it with receivers Ted Ginn Jr. and Dominique Zeigler moving the chains on third-down catches, all while Michael Crabtree and has sprained neck took the game off.

Above all, they did it with Smith running the show, stepping up in the pocket and completing 5 of 6 passes for 59 yards behind an offensive line that did not allow a single quarterback hit on the first drive.

It was perhaps the most flawless compilation of plays by the 49ers' first-team offense this side of the 2009 season. Smith did it, as if to say, "Look mom, no stars!"

"I've heard, 'Alex Smith (can't) play without Gore ... without Vernon ... without Crabtree,' " Niners coach Mike Singletary said. "But, to me, if you're a good quarterback, you have to make the situation better.

"At some point in the season, you may not have them and what are you going to do then?"

If Sunday was any indication, Smith's answer will be to put all available moving parts to good use.

There was a checkdown pass to Dixon when the tempting idea was to force something downfield. There was a zipped 3rd-and-2 throw to Ginn in tight coverage just north of the first-down marker.

The 49ers ran the ball in three-receiver sets, with Dixon powering forward for 5 yards. They passed the ball in possible 3rd-and-run situations, with Zeigler running down a 13-yard catch over the middle. When nothing was there, Smith wisely threw the ball out of bounds in the red zone.

In short, they rectified many of the mistakes of the first exhibition game at Indianapolis, when Smith was 3-for-9, sacked and pointless.

"It's what we always talk about, starting fast, something we didn't do a lot last year," Smith said. "It was nice to see it come through here and come into play."

Rookie right tackle Anthony Davis, coming off a one-sack, one-penalty debut, handled Vikings left end Ray Edwards, shoving him high and around Smith - who had the presence of mind to step up and throw.

Walker, who tipped a deep pass into a Colts interception, did a spin move over the middle to get away from Jared Allen for 11 yards after the catch to the Vikings' 4.

Dixon has been criticized by Singletary for dancing too much and not hitting the pedal. On his 4-yard score, Dixon took the pitch around the left corner and past Vikings defensive backs Madieu Williams and Asher Allen.

Not the slightest of stutter in step. Any rushing touchdown scored against the Vikings' starters should be put on a mantle.

"It kind of boosted me a little bit," Dixon said. "I wanted to break a big play and put them away early."

Alas, not all was perfect for a first-team offense that did not score again in a full half of play.

Singletary bemoaned the total lack of a running game, as if it didn't matter that the Vikings' fierce front stood in the way, or that Gore and Westbrook didn't play a down.

On eight 1st-and-10 runs in the first half, the 49ers gained 3 yards. If Dixon had happy feet in the backfield, Singletary said it was because there was no hole to hit. That has to do with a young offensive line as much as anything, he said.

"I told the young guys we were playing against the No. 1-ranked team against the run in the past five years," Singletary said. "I'm sure they'll take me at my word after playing this game."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/08/23/SPG01F19CT.DTL#ixzz0xPsK1Maa
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
We need to do an Inception and go into Jimmy Rayes head and take out the draw and screen plays he loves so much

it's called pre-season dude.

Thank you for that Oregon knowledge but im also referring to last year when it seemed like it was Raye's Favorite third down play.

Oregon knowledge? Nice job of applying piss-poor stereotypes. By the way, you're clearly thinking of an "Extraction" not Inception.

LOL nice Inception knowledge LMAO

Well not really, since we'd be taking out the plays to know what they are. They'd still be in Raye's head. Now if we were to perform inception so that Raye would never want to use those plays again...
i was surprised Sing said this of Davis;

Still, Singletary gave the second-year quarterback only a lukewarm response.

"There's a work ethic involved in terms of being a quarterback in the NFL, and he's got to get it – it's as simple as that," Singletary said.

Pressed on that point, Singletary said that coaches were disappointed that Davis arrived for the offseason program underprepared.

"Right now, Nate Davis is working his tail off to try and learn this system," he said. "But in the offseason, that's when you take the time to get that done. And I'm not sure how hard he worked in the offseason in getting that done."

.............Just when i was rooting for the kid, it's kind of a slap in the face to know he's not putting the time in needed to get better at his craft. Being the underdog i'd think that would motivate him even more..., guess not?
Originally posted by prime21:
Originally posted by Flash80:
This is the best post i've seen all off season! I live in Minnesota and Vikes fans suck, so I hope we knock his ass out for a few games!!

A few games?! How about permanently!

I stand corrected!

Man, it would of been nice to see Favre get popped like Eli Manning did last week against the Jets.
Man, it would of been nice to see Favre get popped like Eli Manning did last week against the Jets.

Do you want to see him on ESPN for 5 more hours?
Originally posted by jreff22:

Do you want to see him on ESPN for 5 more hours?

if it's a constant replay of him getting his head bashed in by Willis and Spikes, yes please!
That's the thing too! Willis mowed down Peterson to get to him! I can watch that "All Day!!"
Originally posted by ninertico:
That's the thing too! Willis mowed down Peterson to get to him! I can watch that "All Day!!"

Yeah, that was nice. On the slow-mo it looked like Willis hog-tied him by the ankles. The only thing Willis didn't do is take out the stake and brand him, which I guess is what he did to Favre earlier.
Share 49ersWebzone