There are 182 users in the forums

You can fool some people some of the time

Shop Find 49ers gear online
i'm really glad that this subject got another thread
But you can't fool all the people all the time. So now you see the light you got to ........

[ Edited by BETTERDAYZ9ERS on Aug 16, 2010 at 11:19:37 ]
Originally posted by lamontb:

"We had a Cover 4 look and Vernon is really the only look there," Smith said. "He ran a great route and really nodded the guy hard and got the safety to jump outside, then went inside. It was something I hadn't anticipated, something we hadn't had a lot of work on because obviously we are not running all our stuff right now."

i'm just not getting that quote. I'm not understanding how him and VD haven't worked on extending routes. And is he just playing like a robot. Survey the field. If your Te is extending the route look at what he's doing. Read and react to that on the fly and anticipate. That's what being a qb is about. Anticipation. He realized and recognized and processed all of this after the play instead of during the play. That's a problem.

Alex made the throw before Vernon made his break. This is what we've all wanted him to do for a while now. If the receiver alters his route after the ball has left the QBs hand, not much the QB can do. If Vernon hadn't altered the route, it also would have gone for the TD. Not saying Vernon was wrong to do what he did, but when a QB is throwing before the receiver makes his break, they have to be on the same page.
Originally posted by jb49ers80:

"We had a Cover 4 look and Vernon is really the only look there," Smith said. "He ran a great route and really nodded the guy hard and got the safety to jump outside, then went inside. It was something I hadn't anticipated, something we hadn't had a lot of work on because obviously we are not running all our stuff right now."

i'm just not getting that quote. I'm not understanding how him and VD haven't worked on extending routes. And is he just playing like a robot. Survey the field. If your Te is extending the route look at what he's doing. Read and react to that on the fly and anticipate. That's what being a qb is about. Anticipation. He realized and recognized and processed all of this after the play instead of during the play. That's a problem.

Alex made the throw before Vernon made his break. This is what we've all wanted him to do for a while now. If the receiver alters his route after the ball has left the QBs hand, not much the QB can do. If Vernon hadn't altered the route, it also would have gone for the TD. Not saying Vernon was wrong to do what he did, but when a QB is throwing before the receiver makes his break, they have to be on the same page.

This is exactly how to explain what happened to people who don't really know the game of football. If you saw what Manning did on his throw to Reggie Wayne in the end zone on their first possession. The timing got disrupted by our DB (I forget who it was) so it appeared that Manning over threw him by 5 yards.
Originally posted by baybreaker707:

This is exactly how to explain what happened to people who don't really know the game of football. If you saw what Manning did on his throw to Reggie Wayne in the end zone on their first possession. The timing got disrupted by our DB (I forget who it was) so it appeared that Manning over threw him by 5 yards.

Nice to see Smith FINALLY anticipating where the receiver will be.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

That ball was thrown as if he expected Vernon to stop and curl or sit on the ball. It looked underthrown even if Vernon had kept running upfield rather than slightly slanting it in.

Yeah, I watched the replay and you could see Vernon cut his route hard and to the inside after he got passed the safety. Had he just kept going upfield, it would have been a perfect throw. Now if Alex held the ball a little longer to see the play develop he could've adjusted his throw to the route Vernon ran, but I doubt that's how the play is supposed to be executed. This exactly what you want to see in preseason, so the next time this happens, hopefully they'll be on the same page.
at least the good news is he is throwing the ball where the WR is going to be we have no clue to know whos fault it was did vernon break before he threw it or after?
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
at least the good news is he is throwing the ball where the WR is going to be we have no clue to know whos fault it was did vernon break before he threw it or after?

Considering both of their history, it's both of their faults.

Originally posted by Joecool:

That ball was thrown as if he expected Vernon to stop and curl or sit on the ball. It looked underthrown even if Vernon had kept running upfield rather than slightly slanting it in.

I watched it this morning and Vernon jumped, twisted back and got both hands on it. So how was it underthrown?
Man some of you guys are just beyond belief. The lack of knowledge and high level of ignorance of plain fact, combined with plain old drama queen hysterics is absolutely astounding...not to even mention the weak attempts to spin doctor by some of the less credible members of this board.

That ball was not underthrown. It would have hit him right on his kidneys.

Underthrown is when the ball hits your legs.

-9fA

[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Aug 16, 2010 at 12:10:04 ]

I watched it this morning and Vernon jumped, twisted back and got both hands on it. So how was it underthrown?

Exactly, VD cut hard to the inside where had he kept to his route it would of hit him right in the numbers, maybe lower but still above the waste. My opinion was that he saw the middle of the field so wide open he cut his route inside out of excitement, where had he stuck to his normal route he still would of been home free.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Man some of you guys are just beyond belief. The lack of knowledge and high level of ignorance of plain fact, combined with plain old drama queen hysterics is absolutely astounding...not to even mention the weak attempts to spin doctor by some of the less credible members of this board.

Agreed.

But really, at the end of the day, it's just a handful of ignorant drama queens moaning on an internet forum. Good for them I guess, but not worth really caring about.
Share 49ersWebzone