LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 341 users in the forums

You can fool some people some of the time

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Here's an article by Mike Sando, that attempts to explain Alex Smith's unsuccessful game:

Smith and tight end Vernon Davis misread one another on the play where it appeared as though Smith missed a wide-open Davis by a couple yards over the middle. Davis adjusted the end of his route in a manner Smith did not anticipate.

"We had a Cover 4 look and Vernon is really the only look there," Smith said. "He ran a great route and really nodded the guy hard and got the safety to jump outside, then went inside. It was something I hadn't anticipated, something we hadn't had a lot of work on because obviously we are not running all our stuff right now."

Smith took a five-step drop and fired the ball.

"Threw it where I wanted it," Smith said. "It was just a communication where I didn't know he was going to go through that kind of a nod move there. It's something we'll look at on film. Maybe it's a deal where he ran such a good route, maybe it's something we go to, maybe not."
Alex Smith won't hold up his Sunday afternoon stat line with pride, but the San Francisco 49ers' quarterback wasn't as bad as the numbers suggested.
Smith, who completed 3 of 9 passes for 37 yards and a 7.4 rating during the 49ers' 37-17 exhibition victory over the Indianapolis Colts, did appear inaccurate with some of his throws. Turns out Smith threw the ball to its intended location on the two plays that stood out most.
Backup tight end Delanie Walker was to blame for the one interception Smith threw. The coverage was tight, but Walker had a chance at the ball, which bounced to a defensive back.

"Delanie jumped a little early and I felt he should have caught the ball," coach Mike Singletary said, "so it was just one of those things where the quarterback and the receiver have to continue to clean up and be more detailed on their routes, their decision-making."

The 49ers' backup quarterbacks put up excellent numbers against the Colts' backups. David Carr completed 9 of 11 passes for 98 yards, one touchdown and a 134.1 rating. Third-stringer Nate Davis completed 5 of 6 passes for 84 yards and a 118.8 rating.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/21367/reassessing-accuracy-for-49ers-alex-smith

This issue has already been argued extensively on the WZ, with Smith supporters pointing the blame on the the receivers and Smith critics blaming the QB's inaccuracy.

No surprise I'm in the later camp, I view Smith throwing high and hard on a roll out to Vernon and throwing high and hard to Walker. Yes, Walker had a chance to get the ball, but it was an equally bad throw and catch attempt that resulted in an int. Smith needs to own up to at least that much.

The issue I find unsettling is the spin, that Vernon was suppose to run a route exactly as he does in practice. This goes against the notion that in football and pro sports in general, some improve skills are required to be successful.

But I have no desire arguing this with fellow Niner fans, after all we all want to see the team win, we just disagree on the QB situation. I just find it unprecedented and frustrating that someone who isn't competent at their job or hasn't accomplished any goals that's required of their profession, is treated with kid gloves by the media and coaching staff.

If Alex Smith is really the a good QB like all his supporters claim, then for the sake of the team, he needs to show it next week. If he's the propped up bust like many ans think he is, then Singletary needs to stop unconditionally supporting him or the season will be lost by week 5.

Articles like these my Mike Sando and Matt Miacco can fools some people some the time, but you can fool all the people all the time. Come regular season there is no spinning the W-L.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Our world is full of Alex Smith Apologists
Meh. I'm fooled. He seemed to make all of the correct reads. It's still the first preseason game so I'd expect the timing to improve. I'll start to worry if he doesn't play well starting week 1.
Originally posted by foamingatdamouth:
Here's an article by Mike Sando, that attempts to explain Alex Smith's unsuccessful game:

Smith and tight end Vernon Davis misread one another on the play where it appeared as though Smith missed a wide-open Davis by a couple yards over the middle. Davis adjusted the end of his route in a manner Smith did not anticipate.

"We had a Cover 4 look and Vernon is really the only look there," Smith said. "He ran a great route and really nodded the guy hard and got the safety to jump outside, then went inside. It was something I hadn't anticipated, something we hadn't had a lot of work on because obviously we are not running all our stuff right now."

"Threw it where I wanted it," Smith said. "It was just a communication where I didn't know he was going to go through that kind of a nod move there. It's something we'll look at on film. Maybe it's a deal where he ran such a good route, maybe it's something we go to, maybe not."
Alex Smith won't hold up his Sunday afternoon stat line with pride, but the San Francisco 49ers' quarterback wasn't as bad as the numbers suggested.
Smith, who completed 3 of 9 passes for 37 yards and a 7.4 rating during the 49ers' 37-17 exhibition victory over the Indianapolis Colts, did appear inaccurate with some of his throws. Turns out Smith threw the ball to its intended location on the two plays that stood out most.
Backup tight end Delanie Walker was to blame for the one interception Smith threw. The coverage was tight, but Walker had a chance at the ball, which bounced to a defensive back.

"Delanie jumped a little early and I felt he should have caught the ball," coach Mike Singletary said, "so it was just one of those things where the quarterback and the receiver have to continue to clean up and be more detailed on their routes, their decision-making."

The 49ers' backup quarterbacks put up excellent numbers against the Colts' backups. David Carr completed 9 of 11 passes for 98 yards, one touchdown and a 134.1 rating. Third-stringer Nate Davis completed 5 of 6 passes for 84 yards and a 118.8 rating.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/21367/reassessing-accuracy-for-49ers-alex-smith

This issue has already been argued extensively on the WZ, with Smith supporters pointing the blame on the the receivers and Smith critics blaming the QB's inaccuracy.

No surprise I'm in the later camp, I view Smith throwing high and hard on a roll out to Vernon and throwing high and hard to Walker. Yes, Walker had a chance to get the ball, but it was an equally bad throw and catch attempt that resulted in an int. Smith needs to own up to at least that much.

The issue I find unsettling is the spin, that Vernon was suppose to run a route exactly as he does in practice. This goes against the notion that in football and pro sports in general, some improve skills are required to be successful.

But I have no desire arguing this with fellow Niner fans, after all we all want to see the team win, we just disagree on the QB situation. I just find it unprecedented and frustrating that someone who isn't competent at their job or hasn't accomplished any goals that's required of their profession, is treated with kid gloves by the media and coaching staff.

If Alex Smith is really the a good QB like all his supporters claim, then for the sake of the team, he needs to show it next week. If he's the propped up bust like many ans think he is, then Singletary needs to stop unconditionally supporting him or the season will be lost by week 5.

Articles like these my Mike Sando and Matt Miacco can fools some people some the time, but you can fool all the people all the time. Come regular season there is no spinning the W-L.

maybe maiocco and sando have a litttle more insight and information than we do---nahhhhhhhhhhhhh
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

Originally posted by ghostrider:
Meh. I'm fooled. He seemed to make all of the correct reads. It's still the first preseason game so I'd expect the timing to improve. I'll start to worry if he doesn't play well starting week 1.

this.

i'm just not getting that quote. I'm not understanding how him and VD haven't worked on extending routes. And is he just playing like a robot. Survey the field. If your Te is extending the route look at what he's doing. Read and react to that on the fly and anticipate. That's what being a qb is about. Anticipation. He realized and recognized and processed all of this after the play instead of during the play. That's a problem.
If you watch Alex very closely, his throwing mechanics are still flawed. A good test is to draw a vertical line from the top of his throwing and down to the ground. A split second after the football is released, you take a snapshot. If the majority of the QBs body is to the left of the vertical line, it means the QB is throwing off his back foot and not following thru with his hips. QBs with good throwing motion and mechanics will be the the right of the vertical line.

Guess what? Alex's body is to the left of the vertical line. When a QB doesn't follow thru, he'll have a tendancy to float balls and hitting the short passes becomes much more difficult.

More disturbing to me is that if I can pick this point up, why can't the QB coaches?
Originally posted by pete98146:
If you watch Alex very closely, his throwing mechanics are still flawed. A good test is to draw a vertical line from the top of his throwing and down to the ground. A split second after the football is released, you take a snapshot. If the majority of the QBs body is to the left of the vertical line, it means the QB is throwing off his back foot and not following thru with his hips. QBs with good throwing motion and mechanics will be the the right of the vertical line.

Guess what? Alex's body is to the left of the vertical line. When a QB doesn't follow thru, he'll have a tendancy to float balls and hitting the short passes becomes much more difficult.

More disturbing to me is that if I can pick this point up, why can't the QB coaches?

they could have but once he gets on the field he reverts back to what he has done his whole career.
Isn't it AMAZING how many reporters offer "AlexCuses" and are Smith apologists???

AMAZING that they would compromise their professional integrity and livelihood to make excuses for someone they really don't even know! Why? Why risk your children's future to suck up to Alex Smith!?!?!?

Oh WHY can't we have objective reporters like the geniuses in Niner Talk??!! WHY!!!?!?!? Someday, Oh Lord, I pray that this will happen!!

Down with MM!
Down with MB!
Down with MS!
Bring in the Niner Talk geniuses!

That is all.
Originally posted by lamontb:

i'm just not getting that quote. I'm not understanding how him and VD haven't worked on extending routes. And is he just playing like a robot. Survey the field. If your Te is extending the route look at what he's doing. Read and react to that on the fly and anticipate. That's what being a qb is about. Anticipation. He realized and recognized and processed all of this after the play instead of during the play. That's a problem.

that was a long throw. VD could have very well adjusted as Smith was releasing the ball. Hard to react when the ball is not longer in your hands.
Share 49ersWebzone