LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Coffee Who? Dixon is an animal

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Coffee Who? Dixon is an animal

Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Dixon looked like a smaller Bettis, we were calling him "Short Bus"!

he's not special ed lmao

that's Nate Davis.

Nate Dogg looked great yesterday.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
If he does this in the regular season, I'll give him props. Until then, he can hang out with his buddies Clayton, Coffee, and Sheets in the preseason HOF.

Funny, got me laughing.
Originally posted by mayo63:
How many yards did Dixon rack up? 70-75?

21 Carries 100 Yards 1 TD, 3 rec 22 Yards

The last 5 plus carries though we where running out the clock and he looked gassed so he basically just fell down after a yard or two.

He does have to work on his pass protection though. I was a fan of the pick since day 1 and have said many times I expect him to be a great 1-2 punch with Gore and possibly replace him once he slows down. Heck, I'd love for Gore to split carries because that can prolong his career. Dixon has work to do though. He was gassed after 3 quarters of play. He has to get into better shape. He can keep up the weight but he has to get built more. Also, love the wind mill wind up with the arm when he changes directions. He is going to have to fix that and get quicker on his cuts.
Let's not get carried away, guys. Coffee looked really good last preseason too.

[ Edited by Negrodamus on Aug 16, 2010 at 11:18:21 ]
Originally posted by jb49ers80:

The biggest difference if you watch interviews is Dixon wants it. It's obvious Coffee didn't have the heart for the game (since college according to him). Plus I can get on the bandwagon because he was a 49ers fan growing up. So was Gore...... then again a lot of people where.

I'm not just basing my enthusiasm off one game. The guy put up 4,000 yards and 42 TDs in the SEC.

Edit: watch the video guys and see what I mean with all those wind mills when he tries to cut. He has to get more in shape and quicker on the cuts. I know it's hard to change direction when your 240 but he has to get leaner.

My favorite video of him so far:

[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 16, 2010 at 11:22:17 ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:

The biggest difference if you watch interviews is Dixon wants it. It's obvious Coffee didn't have the heart for the game (since college according to him). Plus I can get on the bandwagon because he was a 49ers fan growing up. So was Gore...... then again a lot of people where.

I'm not just basing my enthusiasm off one game. The guy put up 4,000 yards and 42 TDs in the SEC.

Edit: watch the video guys and see what I mean with all those wind mills when he tries to cut. He has to get more in shape and quicker on the cuts. I know it's hard to change direction when your 240 but he has to get leaner.

• dj43

Can we not walk on Coffee's grave?

It was NOT obvious he had no heart for the game last year. His work ethic was praised by everyone last season and during the off-season. Despite not really wanting to play the game any longer, he was committed enough to the team to gain 17 pounds of muscle during the off-season. Anyone that has ever duplicated anything close to that will tell you it takes dedication.

OK. I'm finished.
Originally posted by dj43:

It was NOT obvious he had no heart for the game last year. His work ethic was praised by everyone last season and during the off-season. Despite not really wanting to play the game any longer, he was committed enough to the team to gain 17 pounds of muscle during the off-season. Anyone that has ever duplicated anything close to that will tell you it takes dedication.

OK. I'm finished.

True... I know he did and it takes dedication. What I am trying to say is who knows how good Coffee could have been. Yes last season wasn't good but adding 17 pounds of muscle he could have had a breakout season. So yes he was committed but you can't say his heart was fully into football. Even he said he came out early even though he questioned his love for the game in college already. I guess he wanted to get paid and see if playing in the NFL re-juvenized his love for the game.

Put it this way.... just because he was dedicated and put on that muscle doesn't mean he was truly passion about the game. It's kind of like going through the motions. Same thing with an athlete dominating his game... doesn't mean he loves the game.

I will give you an example. The problem with a lot of bigger guys is they where bigger than everyone their whole life so they played football because they where good at it. People told them to play because again they where bigger and better than everyone else even if they didn't like playing. That's why in the NFL you see a lot of busts because all of a sudden they aren't bigger and better than everyone else. Look at Kwame Harris... the guy is going to culinary school now. You think football is his #1 passion. Another example: Rashaun Woods... the guy once said something along the lines of my favorite thing to do is bass fish.

Edit: and don't get me wrong I have no problem with what Coffee did but even like he said he wishes he didn't waste our time, money and draft pick.

[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 16, 2010 at 11:35:08 ]
Originally posted by dj43:

OK. I'm finished.

True... I know he did and it takes dedication. What I am trying to say is who knows how good Coffee could have been. Yes last season wasn't good but adding 17 pounds of muscle he could have had a breakout season. So yes he was committed but you can't say his heart was fully into football. Even he said he came out early even though he questioned his love for the game in college already. I guess he wanted to get paid and see if playing in the NFL re-juvenized his love for the game.

Put it this way.... just because he was dedicated and put on that muscle doesn't mean he was truly passion about the game. It's kind of like going through the motions. Same thing with an athlete dominating his game... doesn't mean he loves the game.

I will give you an example. The problem with a lot of bigger guys is they where bigger than everyone their whole life so they played football because they where good at it. People told them to play because again they where bigger and better than everyone else even if they didn't like playing. That's why in the NFL you see a lot of busts because all of a sudden they aren't bigger and better than everyone else. Look at Kwame Harris... the guy is going to culinary school now. You think football is his #1 passion. Another example: Rashaun Woods... the guy once said something along the lines of my favorite thing to do is bass fish.

Edit: and don't get me wrong I have no problem with what Coffee did but even like he said he wishes he didn't waste our time, money and draft pick.

Coffee is an amazing individual who did everything he could to re-establish a passion for the game. He left college early to see if that could reignite his passion, it didn't. Then he spent the entire offseason in SC working out and putting on muscle which I'm guessing was his way of making one last attempt of rededicating his passion. Thinking that if he is going to make one last hoorah, he needed to give it everything he had left in his tank to see if his dedication to improving himself could help bring back that passion, unfortunately it didn't.

Hindsight is 20/20, you look at him now and we can say he was a wasted draft pick and wasted money. But we can't blame Coffee for that, you have to blame Scotty who didn't do his research on allot of these character guys. It was noticed by multiple people who cover alabama that Coffee had lost his passion for the game while in college, you draft those types of guys in the 6th and 7th rounds, not the 3rd.

On that note, Scotty truly did suck at being in charge. You can point to his draft pick successes but allot of those were no brainers. VD lit up the combine at a position of need for us, but it took him awhile to adjust to the pro-game. Gore was the better than McGahee in college(which McGahee admitted himself) but could never get on the field due to injuries. Looking back I think the only major success he had where he took a risk and made a move was for Staley. Goldson and Morgan seemed like BPA's to me.

Share 49ersWebzone