There are 278 users in the forums

Nate Clements being moved?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Wow. If it works it could be good for us against teams that use a lot of TE passes. I like the thought of a bigger, more physical, player covering these guys.

He won't be checking TE's he's lining up to check the slot/3rd WR. Covering the TE will still be on the backers and safeties. Te's and rb's out of the backfield crushed the defense last year especially screen plays. Nobody could stop Owen Daniels last year.

Quote from Manusky

"His size and speed and his ability inside with his body frame and movement skills is the reason we put him in there," Manusky said of Clements. "It's always tough to find those nickel guys who can cover a tight end or a bigger receiver inside. And he's doing a good job of it."

Link

pwned

I don't understand this either. I thought Manny Lawson was our TE stopper. That knee injury really set his coverage game back. Still don't understand this move. It's the shifty receivers that Nate has the most trouble with and the slot guy will be off the ball where Nate won't really be able to get physical. Those shifty slot receivers are there to gain 2 to 5 yards to move the chains.

I have a feeling we will be seeing Nate in some blitzes.

As a corner the flanker etc, usually has more room, thus the corner has more space to cover. The slot, if going for a quick slant or similar, all you need to do is get in his lane and whack him, force him to go around. The LB if dropping back will then have time to see this and if the QB still tries to get it to the slot on slant or similar can jump on the ball. This of course is providing the safety is got your back over the top
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Wow. If it works it could be good for us against teams that use a lot of TE passes. I like the thought of a bigger, more physical, player covering these guys.

He won't be checking TE's he's lining up to check the slot/3rd WR. Covering the TE will still be on the backers and safeties. Te's and rb's out of the backfield crushed the defense last year especially screen plays. Nobody could stop Owen Daniels last year.

Quote from Manusky

"His size and speed and his ability inside with his body frame and movement skills is the reason we put him in there," Manusky said of Clements. "It's always tough to find those nickel guys who can cover a tight end or a bigger receiver inside. And he's doing a good job of it."

Link

pwned

I don't understand this either. I thought Manny Lawson was our TE stopper. That knee injury really set his coverage game back. Still don't understand this move. It's the shifty receivers that Nate has the most trouble with and the slot guy will be off the ball where Nate won't really be able to get physical. Those shifty slot receivers are there to gain 2 to 5 yards to move the chains.

I have a feeling we will be seeing Nate in some blitzes.

It's only on 3rd downs and I do hope we see him blitz a couple times; but, I think this is to put someone better in coverage over the TE to help boost our 3rd down D performance. Last year we were 23rd in the NFL on 3rd down D% (bottom 10, something like 37% of the time we stopped em) in this area. What makes this even worse is that we were tied for #1 in total # of 3rd downs in the NFL...

I don't even see it happening on normal 3rd downs. Maybe on 3rd and 7+ yards. Anything less and an OC would salivate that they only need 4 yards and a 5'10" guy is guarding his 6'5" TE. Turn and catch situation there.

Nate is 6'0

And a Pro-Bowl CB...

And won't be covering a TE. OC would be dumb not to shift the TE from the slot to original position and audible to a run or for better protection. Nate will be covering slot receivers which still doesn't make sense since he has had trouble guarding the quicker player.

It's one thing to cover Boldin but it's another to cover a 6'5" 250 pound TE.

Nate's going to blitz or cover the bigger slot receivers.

Actually the quick slot receivers require timing, its like 1 2 3 boom if you mess that up, the quick slant other similar patterns are closed. Wack him good in the first five yards. TE, he will jump on the ball or wrap up as soon as the ball touches the finger tip or wrap up till the LB comes in to lower the boom boom. Also, it is better in that the TE won't be beating him like he would a LB.

Nate can totally cover TE's, he lays the lumber. If the OC lines a TE up in the slot and tries to run towards Nate thats actually better for us. It's gonna be harder for a TE to block Nate who is playing 5 yards off the LOS than to close off a DE or hitting a LB trying to run through the TE to the RB.

In passing plays Nate covering the TE could lead to some great turnovers for us. If the QB has to put a ball high enough to take advantage of the TE height, it's opening the TE up to get decapitated by the safeties.

I think this move is more for when offenses put 3 or 4 WR's on the field. Nate's problem is getting beat deep, and taking him off the outside receivers (those situations where there is no safety help) disguises his inability to keep up with the Roddy Whites of the NFL in straight line speed.
You'd think Manusky wouldn't want Nate playing over the slot WR. Seems Nate always has trouble with the smaller, quicker guys....?
I guess Manusky knows NFL defenses better than I do though.
It sounds like they just want to do that some of the time and not all of the time.
Originally posted by LoboLtnLvr49er:

Which is why I only see him covering the bigger slot receivers or being at the nickel if it's a 7+ yard situation. He would get overpowered by a TE if it were only 3 to 5 yards to go and he's not quick enough for the Wes Welker types in short yardage.

The Saints have a big receiver in the slot and that's the type of situations Nate can help us in.

It's one thing to cover a 6'2" 220 lb receiver but it's a completely different thing to try and bump a 6'5" 250lb TE. Those guys are accustomed to being bumped and roughed up be DE's and LB's. As physical as Nate is, his bumps won't affect them and if he bumps too hard, he will lose his base.

Remember, the TE will definitely bump back and those long arms at the LOS will provide enough space from Nate.

[ Edited by Joecool on Aug 13, 2010 at 09:46:30 ]
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Quote:
Clements has not disappointed in training camp.

"He worked out in Arizona this offseason and completely reformed his body," fellow 49ers cornerback Shawntae Spencer said. "He's a lot more fluid in his movements. He’s a lot slimmer, his body fat is down, he eats different and he’s a lot more flexible. With that, you become a lot more fluid in and out of breaks, and he’s faster, a lot more aggressive and things like that."

Already mentioned, but I remember posters pointing out that he looked much leaner, in better shape.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/21125/49ers-asking-more-from-nate-clements
I was a pretty big Nate Clements supporter this off season, but I have to say, I am very disappointed in his play so far. The guy is constantly getting toasted and he's not even playing against elite recievers. Unfortunetly, Tarrell Brown is not an upgrade. Honestly, we should of kept Bly.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I was a pretty big Nate Clements supporter this off season, but I have to say, I am very disappointed in his play so far. The guy is constantly getting toasted and he's not even playing against elite recievers. Unfortunetly, Tarrell Brown is not an upgrade. Honestly, we should of kept Bly.

he doesnt play hard in preseason same s**t happened last year and then he did good come season time
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

he doesnt play hard in preseason same s**t happened last year and then he did good come season time

Ya for the most part he was ok during the season...I only remember two passes where he got completely owned for long TDs, one vs Sidney Rice (who ended up having a breakout season) and the other one vs Roddy White (who is a perennial pro bowler). When you're going up against #1 receivers every week, those things are gonna happen.

Share 49ersWebzone