LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 316 users in the forums

Nate Clements being moved?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Could someone please post the text to the article found here http://www.49erswebzone.com/news/goto.php?id=27182. We're still using IE6 here and I can never read any articles from csnbayarea.com. Thanks
SANTA CLARA -- The 49ers have new plans for Nate Clements this season.

Clements, the 49ers' starting left cornerback, began working this week at nickel back. Defensive coordinator Greg Manusky has shifted Clements inside to cover the slot receiver in passing situations with third cornerback Tarell Brown playing outside.

"His size and speed and his ability inside with his body frame and movement skills is the reason we put him in there," Manusky said of Clements. "It's always tough to find those nickel guys who can cover a tight end or a bigger receiver inside. And he's doing a good job of it."

Read more: 49ers Find New Slot for Clements
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

nate is the starting CB but when the team uses the nickel package he slides into the nickel spot and T. Brown moves to Nates Spot
hmmmmm

I like Nate closer to the lione bc he is the better tackler and can make plays with his torpedo like pursuit of the RB
Thanks. I guess it makes sense since he's pretty physical. I recall him jacking Whitten up pretty good last year. Did he line up at Nickle at all last year?
Why do I always spell Nickel wrong??
No. He's still our starting CB but in passing situations where we're in a Nickel defense, he'll cover the slot receiver whom is usually a primary target for a QB in such situations.
The 3rd wr is usually in motion and takes the DB away from the play if its a run sometimes.

odd move since he's a good run stopper
Originally posted by NJNinerFan:
Could someone please post the text to the article found here http://www.49erswebzone.com/news/goto.php?id=27182. We're still using IE6 here and I can never read any articles from csnbayarea.com. Thanks

wtf ew. why in the f**k are you using IE6 - can I shoot your sysadmin!?!??!!
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
No. He's still our starting CB but in passing situations where we're in a Nickel defense, he'll cover the slot receiver whom is usually a primary target for a QB in such situations.

But please, don't let this stop the million+ "move him to safety" posts that I'm sure we'll be seeing soon.
Originally posted by baltien:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

But please, don't let this stop the million+ "move him to safety" posts that I'm sure we'll be seeing soon.

we can only hope those threads continue.

Wow. If it works it could be good for us against teams that use a lot of TE passes. I like the thought of a bigger, more physical, player covering these guys.
Originally posted by blacksailsmd:

hehe...please do. I am a Web application developer and we're stilling using IE6 and ASP.NET 1.1. Imagine my frustration. I keep hearing we are moving to IE8 soon. I'll believe it when I have it installed

[ Edited by NJNinerFan on Aug 12, 2010 at 09:25:13 ]
Originally posted by blacksailsmd:
Originally posted by NJNinerFan:

probably works at the DMV
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Wow. If it works it could be good for us against teams that use a lot of TE passes. I like the thought of a bigger, more physical, player covering these guys.

He won't be checking TE's he's lining up to check the slot/3rd WR. Covering the TE will still be on the backers and safeties. Te's and rb's out of the backfield crushed the defense last year especially screen plays. Nobody could stop Owen Daniels last year.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by D_Niner:

He won't be checking TE's he's lining up to check the slot/3rd WR. Covering the TE will still be on the backers and safeties. Te's and rb's out of the backfield crushed the defense last year especially screen plays. Nobody could stop Owen Daniels last year.

Quote from Manusky

"His size and speed and his ability inside with his body frame and movement skills is the reason we put him in there," Manusky said of Clements. "It's always tough to find those nickel guys who can cover a tight end or a bigger receiver inside. And he's doing a good job of it."

Link
Share 49ersWebzone