There are 338 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Reports of Alex looking average in practice.

Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by TitsMcgee:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
News flash: ALL QBs, regardless of how good/bad they are...will have good days, bad days, and "so so" days.

Relax.

Except the ACP doesn't really comment on the good days.

When Smith has a good day in TC, the nay-sayers will just say "It's TC, who cares wait for the season."

But when he has a bad day, it's time to sh!t our pants and make a huge thread about it.

Something smells like a double standard to me.


This is the theme when it comes to the QB situation. And you're absolutely right. When Alex is doing well..its.."Well who cares dood its just shorts and shells...no big deel dood...styll the bustorz LOLZ BREEN BAK JTO."

When he does bad..."SEE I TOHLD YUUU ALECKS DIK LUVRZ..."


I like your impersonation of people that see it the way it is. As if everyone who doesn't agree with your view has to type like a 12-year-old.

Look, the offense is supposed to look good in camp. There's no reason they shouldn't. The defense can't hit them and that takes A LOT away from what they do. There's no reason a good QB should be looking bad in practice (Smith is not yet a good QB).

Of course nobody is going to jump on the bandwagon when he does well in practice. The defense can't hit him, he doesn't get sacked so the fear of fumbling is not there, he has more time to throw because when he should be sacked the play continues, the defenders don't get as physical with the receivers and definitely don't hit them to make them drop passes like they would in a game situation, a QB will always be more comfortable in practice than he will when it counts so he should be making better decisions, etc.. Knowing all that, why would anyone praise any QB for what he's done in practice? With all those advantages, he should ALWAYS look good in practice.

Lately, as we get closer to the start if the season, I've been putting on my homer glasses, as I do each year, and I've been starting to become optimistic regardless of what I've said leading up to this point. I was starting to gain hope with Alex and I was making myself believe he can be the QB we need him to be. Things like this are not a good sign, no matter how much you guys try to downplay it. QBs should never look bad in practice with all the advantages in their favor.

I do feel it's being blown a little out of proportion and Smith will get back on track, but this is not something that means nothing. This guy needs to continue to progress, not regress after 10 days of camp. And LOL @ Raye's excuse. 200 passes in a total span of 6 hours of practice (with time for rest in betwee, of course) should make a QB's arm weary? Come on.

When it comes down to it, though, I think Smith just had a bad day.

Again, Peyton Manning had a bad day in practice the other day. This is not to compare Alex to Manning, but it just goes to show that you're not always going to look good in practice. I think the notion that "Smith SHOULD look good every day in practice" is just absurd. Now if he stunk it up every practice, I'd be a little more concerned, but when it is a one time deal r this camp there is way too much stock put into that day.

I don't get too high on Smith when reports are good, and I don't get too low when he has an off day.

What I certainly take exception to are the fans that are hypocritical. If you are going to bash Smith for a bad day in practice, you sure as sh!t better praise him for a good day when he has it. Unfortunately, the ACP just focuses on the negative and doesn't acknowledge his good days.

But when he has a bad day, it's time to create a "sky is falling" thread and start sh!tting their pants.

Like I said, it's a double standard and horesh!t IMO. But hey that's just my 2 cents.

Cheers.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's hitting the deep ones and missing the short ones. He's confident from the huddle to the snap and showing leadership but not much improved with the ball in his hands.

Anybody else getting concerned...

I'm hoping he's better and I thought he would be working on his mechanics all offseason. But some of these media reports have me concerned.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/08/10/10/49ers-Mailbag-Smith-So-Far-Has-Been-So-S/landing.html?full_args=08/10/10/49ers-Mailbag-Smith-So-Far-Has-Been-So-S/landing&blockID=287074&feedID=5936

LMFAO Alex has looked good through all of camp and now he has ONE bad practice and everybody is ready to jump ship Fraud-ey Niner Fans make me sick
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 21,290
And just to be fair to Smith, if you've ever played football and tried to throw a pass with guys coming at you, it's tough. Only the great ones make it look easy. It's the hardest position in sports. That's why I never rag on Qb's, it's a tough job to do well.

[ Edited by mayo63 on Aug 10, 2010 at 16:47:07 ]
Originally posted by TitsMcgee:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by TitsMcgee:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
News flash: ALL QBs, regardless of how good/bad they are...will have good days, bad days, and "so so" days.

Relax.

Except the ACP doesn't really comment on the good days.

When Smith has a good day in TC, the nay-sayers will just say "It's TC, who cares wait for the season."

But when he has a bad day, it's time to sh!t our pants and make a huge thread about it.

Something smells like a double standard to me.


This is the theme when it comes to the QB situation. And you're absolutely right. When Alex is doing well..its.."Well who cares dood its just shorts and shells...no big deel dood...styll the bustorz LOLZ BREEN BAK JTO."

When he does bad..."SEE I TOHLD YUUU ALECKS DIK LUVRZ..."


I like your impersonation of people that see it the way it is. As if everyone who doesn't agree with your view has to type like a 12-year-old.

Look, the offense is supposed to look good in camp. There's no reason they shouldn't. The defense can't hit them and that takes A LOT away from what they do. There's no reason a good QB should be looking bad in practice (Smith is not yet a good QB).

Of course nobody is going to jump on the bandwagon when he does well in practice. The defense can't hit him, he doesn't get sacked so the fear of fumbling is not there, he has more time to throw because when he should be sacked the play continues, the defenders don't get as physical with the receivers and definitely don't hit them to make them drop passes like they would in a game situation, a QB will always be more comfortable in practice than he will when it counts so he should be making better decisions, etc.. Knowing all that, why would anyone praise any QB for what he's done in practice? With all those advantages, he should ALWAYS look good in practice.

Lately, as we get closer to the start if the season, I've been putting on my homer glasses, as I do each year, and I've been starting to become optimistic regardless of what I've said leading up to this point. I was starting to gain hope with Alex and I was making myself believe he can be the QB we need him to be. Things like this are not a good sign, no matter how much you guys try to downplay it. QBs should never look bad in practice with all the advantages in their favor.

I do feel it's being blown a little out of proportion and Smith will get back on track, but this is not something that means nothing. This guy needs to continue to progress, not regress after 10 days of camp. And LOL @ Raye's excuse. 200 passes in a total span of 6 hours of practice (with time for rest in betwee, of course) should make a QB's arm weary? Come on.

When it comes down to it, though, I think Smith just had a bad day.

Again, Peyton Manning had a bad day in practice the other day. This is not to compare Alex to Manning, but it just goes to show that you're not always going to look good in practice. I think the notion that "Smith SHOULD look good every day in practice" is just absurd. Now if he stunk it up every practice, I'd be a little more concerned, but when it is a one time deal r this camp there is way too much stock put into that day.

I don't get too high on Smith when reports are good, and I don't get too low when he has an off day.

What I certainly take exception to are the fans that are hypocritical. If you are going to bash Smith for a bad day in practice, you sure as sh!t better praise him for a good day when he has it. Unfortunately, the ACP just focuses on the negative and doesn't acknowledge his good days.

But when he has a bad day, it's time to create a "sky is falling" thread and start sh!tting their pants.

Like I said, it's a double standard and horesh!t IMO. But hey that's just my 2 cents.

Cheers.

No one is talking about one bad day. I wouldn't even care if it. Were one practice he did bad in. Matt M. stated that he has had accuracy issues throughout camp. Why does everyone keep mentioning one bad day?
Really, from the few videos I've seen he's put some deep balls right on the money, albeit a little wobbly. Singletary has also raved about Smith's work. I also remember reports dating back to OTA'S that Smith has taken charge of this offense and is making much better line adjustments and knows what the offense is supposed to be doing. Like I said, there is some good he has done so far in camp and some bad. But taking a few reports from camp that state has been average thus far is not reason to create a "sky is falling" thread. Like I said, don't get too high, and don't get too low. IT'S TRAINING CAMP.
Dude can't win for losing, has to be perfect QB and can't have a bad day at all WOW!!!!!
Originally posted by Eastcoast49er:
Dude can't win for losing, has to be perfect QB and can't have a bad day at all WOW!!!!!

ya its a bit of qb graveyard around here
Nah we shouldn't be concerned. Alex has always been excellent and proved to be an elite QB at every point in his career. He exudes the magic you need to play the position. He can play at any point in time and doesn't need to study any playbook. He just makes things happen. We should be so lucky to have him on our team.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by TitsMcgee:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by TitsMcgee:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
News flash: ALL QBs, regardless of how good/bad they are...will have good days, bad days, and "so so" days.

Relax.

Except the ACP doesn't really comment on the good days.

When Smith has a good day in TC, the nay-sayers will just say "It's TC, who cares wait for the season."

But when he has a bad day, it's time to sh!t our pants and make a huge thread about it.

Something smells like a double standard to me.


This is the theme when it comes to the QB situation. And you're absolutely right. When Alex is doing well..its.."Well who cares dood its just shorts and shells...no big deel dood...styll the bustorz LOLZ BREEN BAK JTO."

When he does bad..."SEE I TOHLD YUUU ALECKS DIK LUVRZ..."


I like your impersonation of people that see it the way it is. As if everyone who doesn't agree with your view has to type like a 12-year-old.

Look, the offense is supposed to look good in camp. There's no reason they shouldn't. The defense can't hit them and that takes A LOT away from what they do. There's no reason a good QB should be looking bad in practice (Smith is not yet a good QB).

Of course nobody is going to jump on the bandwagon when he does well in practice. The defense can't hit him, he doesn't get sacked so the fear of fumbling is not there, he has more time to throw because when he should be sacked the play continues, the defenders don't get as physical with the receivers and definitely don't hit them to make them drop passes like they would in a game situation, a QB will always be more comfortable in practice than he will when it counts so he should be making better decisions, etc.. Knowing all that, why would anyone praise any QB for what he's done in practice? With all those advantages, he should ALWAYS look good in practice.

Lately, as we get closer to the start if the season, I've been putting on my homer glasses, as I do each year, and I've been starting to become optimistic regardless of what I've said leading up to this point. I was starting to gain hope with Alex and I was making myself believe he can be the QB we need him to be. Things like this are not a good sign, no matter how much you guys try to downplay it. QBs should never look bad in practice with all the advantages in their favor.

I do feel it's being blown a little out of proportion and Smith will get back on track, but this is not something that means nothing. This guy needs to continue to progress, not regress after 10 days of camp. And LOL @ Raye's excuse. 200 passes in a total span of 6 hours of practice (with time for rest in betwee, of course) should make a QB's arm weary? Come on.

When it comes down to it, though, I think Smith just had a bad day.

Again, Peyton Manning had a bad day in practice the other day. This is not to compare Alex to Manning, but it just goes to show that you're not always going to look good in practice. I think the notion that "Smith SHOULD look good every day in practice" is just absurd. Now if he stunk it up every practice, I'd be a little more concerned, but when it is a one time deal r this camp there is way too much stock put into that day.

I don't get too high on Smith when reports are good, and I don't get too low when he has an off day.

What I certainly take exception to are the fans that are hypocritical. If you are going to bash Smith for a bad day in practice, you sure as sh!t better praise him for a good day when he has it. Unfortunately, the ACP just focuses on the negative and doesn't acknowledge his good days.

But when he has a bad day, it's time to create a "sky is falling" thread and start sh!tting their pants.

Like I said, it's a double standard and horesh!t IMO. But hey that's just my 2 cents.

Cheers.

No one is talking about one bad day. I wouldn't even care if it. Were one practice he did bad in. Matt M. stated that he has had accuracy issues throughout camp. Why does everyone keep mentioning one bad day?

Again:
That's a bunch of bulls**t:

Quote:
Today's morning practice wasn't nearly as ragged as yesterday's, and the 49ers seemed to suffer no major injuries. But one element was off-kilter: QB Alex Smith, who has looked fairly accurate through most of camp, had perhaps his worst day of the summer.
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/08/one-step-back-for-alex-smith.html

Phil Barber twitter:

Quote:
skinny_post RT @kschefer: @Skinny_Post Reports on A. Smith seem to be getting worse... >> Don't panic, Smith has mostly looked accurate before today

The Joecool troll patrol is out in full force!
It's not some riddle or surprise, Alex lost his experienced/veteran center to a bargain-basement guard who hasn't snapped the ball since college! So really, it's no mystery why the entire offense (including Alex) looked like s**t today.

The center position is the hardest position on the o-line to learn, you're literally all 3 positions of that entire line in one. You lose your guard you can suffice, but if you lose your Center (without an experienced backup) your offense isn't going to gel worth s**t.

It's really f**ked up, if Cody Wallace was worth the weight he was picked this would have been his heroic time to shine and take over that position for years to come.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
News flash: ALL QBs, regardless of how good/bad they are...will have good days, bad days, and "so so" days.

Relax.

This
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
It's not some riddle or surprise, Alex lost his experienced/veteran center to a bargain-basement guard who hasn't snapped the ball since college! So really, it's no mystery why the entire offense (including Alex) looked like s**t today.

The center position is the hardest position on the o-line to learn, you're literally all 3 positions of that entire line in one. You lose your guard you can suffice, but if you lose your Center (without an experienced backup) your offense isn't going to gel worth s**t.

It's really f**ked up, if Cody Wallace was worth the weight he was picked this would have been his heroic time to shine and take over that position for years to come.

Ugh I remember being pissed when we picked Cody Wallace. We passed on some good players for him too IIRC.
Carr is loving these reports...
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
It's not some riddle or surprise, Alex lost his experienced/veteran center to a bargain-basement guard who hasn't snapped the ball since college! So really, it's no mystery why the entire offense (including Alex) looked like s**t today.

The center position is the hardest position on the o-line to learn, you're literally all 3 positions of that entire line in one. You lose your guard you can suffice, but if you lose your Center (without an experienced backup) your offense isn't going to gel worth s**t.

It's really f**ked up, if Cody Wallace was worth the weight he was picked this would have been his heroic time to shine and take over that position for years to come.

Why isn't Wragge getting the first team reps. He's done this. In the NFL, no less.
Nothing like a bad day at practice to bring out the Alex Apologists and Alexcusionists. I love the revisionist history in the six pages of this thread.

Statements like: "Alex gets no credit when he looks good."

FACT: Alex has never looked good. Alex has never taken this team to the playoffs. Alex hasn't come close to leading this team to the playoffs. Therefore -- Alex has NEVER looked good. Alex Smith has done a great job at choking in big games (see: at Seattle last year)

Another statement: "Naysayers never give Alex any credit."

FACT: Why should we? What has Alex done? Other than fail miserably that is. Alex doesn't get any credit because he doesn't deserve it. Five losing seasons of football will do that to any fan.

Finally -- we are forced to put up with the new posters on this board -- who derisively refer to us as the "ACP." Wow. Just wow.

I can't tell you how many Alex Apologists and Alexcusionists have come and gone during the past five seasons. The ACP poster is just the latest in a long line of fairweather fans who appear to hold the Smith jockstrap -- and then vanish like a fart in the wind when things inevitably go south -- as they will.

Alex had a bad day in practice? Not news to me. Every player does.

When Alex starts putting in bad games? I would hope there would be no more excuses.

But hope springs eternal.