LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 245 users in the forums

Reports of Alex looking average in practice.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by excelsior:
There is something going on now that concerns me. During the first week of practice, we heard mostly positive reports about Alex's performance. Just in the last two days, we are starting to hear about missed throws, ducks, etc. It seems eerily like two seasons ago when he struggled through camp. Then we learned that his shoulder just wasn't right. It could just be that he is worn down from all the throws he has had to make in camp. Remember that Crabtree was held out for two practices because he was "sore."

Or, maybe Alex's surgically repaired shoulder is beginning to give him trouble. For those of you who take delight in pointing it out any time he struggles, you must recall that we were not hearing this last week.

I think the man is tired a bit, QB's don't get time off. Also all his main weapons aren't working with him on a daily basis..remember Vernon and Crabs have been off the better part of 2 days.

Yeah I've been thinking as well. From the reports that I've been hearing, Smith has been taking all the 1st team snaps and hasn't had a day of rest.

-9fA
Originally posted by excelsior:
There is something going on now that concerns me. During the first week of practice, we heard mostly positive reports about Alex's performance. Just in the last two days, we are starting to hear about missed throws, ducks, etc. It seems eerily like two seasons ago when he struggled through camp. Then we learned that his shoulder just wasn't right. It could just be that he is worn down from all the throws he has had to make in camp. Remember that Crabtree was held out for two practices because he was "sore."

Or, maybe Alex's surgically repaired shoulder is beginning to give him trouble. For those of you who take delight in pointing it out any time he struggles, you must recall that we were not hearing this last week.

When you throw the ball up to 200 times a day, that could be the issue.

Quote:

August 10, 2010
Raye defends QB Smith after ho hum practice
Alex Smith had an Alex Smith practice today. Which is to say, there was some good and some bad. The good: During team drills, Smith hit Dominique Zeigler down the left sideline - really, it was a fantastic, leaping catch by Zeigler - and then on the following play hit Kyle Williams in stride on a long pass down the right sideline over cornerback Will James. After some misfires early in camp, Smith's deep passes have been on the money, especially the ones to Vernon Davis.

But Smith also threw a red-zone pass that was picked off by Nate Clements. Dashon Goldson jumped another pass and nearly came up with the interception. And what is sure to frustrate long-time Smith watchers -- Smith pulled back on several pass attempts, deciding instead to tuck it in and run. Like I said, it was an Alex Smith practice.

Jimmy Raye is not worried. Asked about Smith today, the 49ers offensive coordinator said his "progress has been very good." Raye said Smith has looked as competent and as confident as he's ever seen him. But Raye also warned that that has to translate to games. "Like I told him upstairs the other day, the perception that people have of you - how you look, and how you play and how you throw - really the only criteria you're going to be judged by is if we win. How you look has no bearing on the outcome. If we win, he'll be the best-looking guy we've ever seen."

Raye also said there were extenuating circumstances to Smith's day. He noted that Smith usually makes 94 throws in the morning and another 86-90 in the afternoon. He said this is the point in camp that quarterbacks get what Raye called "arm weary." And he also noted that both of Smith's top targets, Davis and Michael Crabtree, were given the morning off. (That's two straight practices for Davis). One more obstacle: Smith is getting used to a new center, David Baas, who had a few errant snaps. Raye said he hoped to settle the center competition between Baas and Tony Wragge by the third preseason game.

Raye defends QB Smith after ho hum practice

I'm not really worried. Overall, this team has been pushed pretty hard. We won't throw this much ever in a game.
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
I dont get it...why do so called niner fans want him to fail?

Who wants him to fail? Quote it. There are a lot of fans on here that can't stand mediocrity and low expectations. That's all.

Nobody wants him to fail but most of us intelligent football fans see that the dude is garbage.

I would love it he turned into an all pro and lead us to the superbowl but thats like waiting for the cows to come home.

then why cant these intelligent football fans see that there is really nothing they can't do about it this season?

Next season is a different story, we can really raise hell for a QB (I really don't see any QB's out there thats worthy though)

To me it seems like people just want him to fail so they can say i told you so

Just wait and see Nate Davis this coming sunday

Seen him last preseason against 4-5th stringers, he will probably do it again..but

Whats wrong with just rooting for all of your team and not nit pick a player?

it's not like any fans have controll of the situation

It might be against 4th--5th stringer, but give him some credit... And whats wrong with rooting for Nate???
I wonder what can our starting qb do against 4th--5th stringers....?

Well considering he threw 18 TDs in 10 games against 1st stringers in the regular season I'm sure he can do well against 4th stringers in pre season.

Just a hunch.

and considering thats he's been developing since 05, thats awesome!!!

ur the most ignorant and stupid person ive ever meet how the hell do u throw the ball or expect him to develop or play if he has a 3rd degree injury on his throwing arm?

I've never insult anyone here on the zone and you just did, and by the way we havent met.... I now understand that you like Alex very much, and I understand that-
But I think he's bangging someone else, and I think its your m....

You are a worthless loser peasant fool. And yes, you do want Alex to fail. I think you would be better respected if you simply came out and admitted it.

And also, pissing on someones mother is utter crap. What a jerk.
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:

Who wants him to fail? Quote it. There are a lot of fans on here that can't stand mediocrity and low expectations. That's all.

Nobody wants him to fail but most of us intelligent football fans see that the dude is garbage.

I would love it he turned into an all pro and lead us to the superbowl but thats like waiting for the cows to come home.

then why cant these intelligent football fans see that there is really nothing they can't do about it this season?

Next season is a different story, we can really raise hell for a QB (I really don't see any QB's out there thats worthy though)

Seen him last preseason against 4-5th stringers, he will probably do it again..but

It might be against 4th--5th stringer, but give him some credit... And whats wrong with rooting for Nate???

Well considering he threw 18 TDs in 10 games against 1st stringers in the regular season I'm sure he can do well against 4th stringers in pre season.

Just a hunch.

ur the most ignorant and stupid person ive ever meet how the hell do u throw the ball or expect him to develop or play if he has a 3rd degree injury on his throwing arm?

I've never insult anyone here on the zone and you just did, and by the way we havent met.... I now understand that you like Alex very much, and I understand that-
But I think he's bangging someone else, and I think its your m....

You are a worthless loser peasant fool. And yes, you do want Alex to fail. I think you would be better respected if you simply came out and admitted it.

And also, pissing on someones mother is utter crap. What a jerk.

Just a hunch.

LMFAO
FREE THREAD!!!

Blah, blah blah

[ Edited by ClassicNiner on Aug 11, 2010 at 21:19:49 ]

Originally posted by kidash:
FREE THREAD!!!

August 10, 2010
Raye defends QB Smith afta ho hum practice
Alex Smith had an Alex Smith practice taday. Which iz ta say, dere wuz some pimp-tight an' some bad. The good: During team drills, Smith hit Dominique Zeigler down da left sideline - really, it wuz uh fantastic, leaping catch by Zeigler - an' then on da following play hit Kyle Williams in stride on uh long pass down da right sideline over cornerback Will James. After some misfires early in camp, Smith'sdeep passes gots been on da money, especially da ones ta Vernon Davis.

But Smith also threw uh red-zone pass dat wuz picked off by Nate Clements. Dashon Goldson jumped another pass an' nearly came up wiff da interception. And what iz sure ta frustrate long-time Smith watchers -- Smith pulled back on several pass attempts, deciding instead ta tuck it in an' run. Like I said, it wuz an Alex Smith practice.

Jimmy Raye iz not trippin'. Asked about Smith taday, da 49ers offensive coordinator said his "progress has been very pimp-tight." Raye said Smith has looked as competent an' as confident as he'sever seen him. But Raye also warned dat that has ta translate ta games. "Like I told him upstairs da other day, da perception dat peeps gots o' ya - how ya peep, an' how ya play an' how ya throw - really da only criteria you going ta be judged by iz if we's win. How ya peep has nahh bearing on da outcome. If we's win, he'll be da best-looking guy we've ever seen."

Raye also said dere wuz extenuating circumstances ta Smith'sday. He noted dat Smith usually makes 94 throws in da morning an' another 86-90 in da afternoon. He said dis here iz da point in camp dat quarterbacks git what Raye called "arm weary." And he also noted dat both o' Smith'stop targets, Davis an' Michael Crabtree, wuz given da morning off. (That'stwo straight practices fo' Davis). One mo' obstacle: Smith iz getting used ta uh new center, David Baas, who had uh few errant snaps. Raye said he hoped ta settle da center competition between Baas an' Tony Wragge by da third preseason game. slap mah fro!
Originally posted by Dajanksta:

Just a hunch.

LMFAO

Oh, the irony-ing.

Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:

Just a hunch.

LMFAO

Oh, the irony-ing.

Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:

Just a hunch.

LMFAO

Oh, the irony-ing.

lol I couldn't find that one i was looking for it earlier :(
Share 49ersWebzone