LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

Reports of Alex looking average in practice.

Shop Find 49ers gear online

[ Edited by Allx9er on Aug 11, 2010 at 12:48:01 ]
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
I dont get it...why do so called niner fans want him to fail?

Who wants him to fail? Quote it. There are a lot of fans on here that can't stand mediocrity and low expectations. That's all.

Nobody wants him to fail but most of us intelligent football fans see that the dude is garbage.

I would love it he turned into an all pro and lead us to the superbowl but thats like waiting for the cows to come home.

then why cant these intelligent football fans see that there is really nothing they can't do about it this season?

Next season is a different story, we can really raise hell for a QB (I really don't see any QB's out there thats worthy though)

To me it seems like people just want him to fail so they can say i told you so

Just wait and see Nate Davis this coming sunday

Seen him last preseason against 4-5th stringers, he will probably do it again..but

Whats wrong with just rooting for all of your team and not nit pick a player?

it's not like any fans have controll of the situation
Originally posted by billbird2111:
and, and his arm is tired

and, and, and the wet grass is slippery, which affects his throws.

• fly15
  • Veteran

Who wants him to fail? Quote it. There are a lot of fans on here that can't stand mediocrity and low expectations. That's all.

Nobody wants him to fail but most of us intelligent football fans see that the dude is garbage.

I would love it he turned into an all pro and lead us to the superbowl but thats like waiting for the cows to come home.

then why cant these intelligent football fans see that there is really nothing they can't do about it this season?

Next season is a different story, we can really raise hell for a QB (I really don't see any QB's out there thats worthy though)

Seen him last preseason against 4-5th stringers, he will probably do it again..but

It might be against 4th--5th stringer, but give him some credit... And whats wrong with rooting for Nate???
I wonder what can our starting qb do against 4th--5th stringers....?

It might be against 4th--5th stringer, but give him some credit... And whats wrong with rooting for Nate???

Well considering he threw 18 TDs in 10 games against 1st stringers in the regular season I'm sure he can do well against 4th stringers in pre season.

Just a hunch.
To be completely honest...i really could give a sht how we look this Sunday. The bengals and cowboys looked like crap but there is no arguing they are contenders. If there is one thing we all as Niner fans should know by now is...it's all about what you do come week one of the regular season. JTO taught us that, as did Shaun Hill to a certain extent. JTO had a 158.3 rating during his pre season debut or whatever and it didn't amount to sht at the end of the day. Smith went on IR and was written off. Comes back the next year and does better than expected.

We can sit here and analyze and dissect every pre season snap and every training camp blog but what's the point? It doesn't tell the whole story and isn't really indicative of what's to come.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

Well considering he threw 18 TDs in 10 games against 1st stringers in the regular season I'm sure he can do well against 4th stringers in pre season.

Just a hunch.

and considering thats he's been developing since 05, thats awesome!!!
Originally posted by TitsMcgee:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
News flash: ALL QBs, regardless of how good/bad they are...will have good days, bad days, and "so so" days.

Relax.

Except the ACP doesn't really comment on the good days.

When Smith has a good day in TC, the nay-sayers will just say "It's TC, who cares wait for the season."

But when he has a bad day, it's time to sh!t our pants and make a huge thread about it.

Something smells like a double standard to me.

This is the theme when it comes to the QB situation. And you're absolutely right. When Alex is doing well..its.."Well who cares dood its just shorts and shells...no big deel dood...styll the bustorz LOLZ BREEN BAK JTO."

When he does bad..."SEE I TOHLD YUUU ALECKS DIK LUVRZ..."

I like your impersonation of people that see it the way it is. As if everyone who doesn't agree with your view has to type like a 12-year-old.

Look, the offense is supposed to look good in camp. There's no reason they shouldn't. The defense can't hit them and that takes A LOT away from what they do. There's no reason a good QB should be looking bad in practice (Smith is not yet a good QB).

Of course nobody is going to jump on the bandwagon when he does well in practice. The defense can't hit him, he doesn't get sacked so the fear of fumbling is not there, he has more time to throw because when he should be sacked the play continues, the defenders don't get as physical with the receivers and definitely don't hit them to make them drop passes like they would in a game situation, a QB will always be more comfortable in practice than he will when it counts so he should be making better decisions, etc.. Knowing all that, why would anyone praise any QB for what he's done in practice? With all those advantages, he should ALWAYS look good in practice.

Lately, as we get closer to the start if the season, I've been putting on my homer glasses, as I do each year, and I've been starting to become optimistic regardless of what I've said leading up to this point. I was starting to gain hope with Alex and I was making myself believe he can be the QB we need him to be. Things like this are not a good sign, no matter how much you guys try to downplay it. QBs should never look bad in practice with all the advantages in their favor.

I do feel it's being blown a little out of proportion and Smith will get back on track, but this is not something that means nothing. This guy needs to continue to progress, not regress after 10 days of camp. And LOL @ Raye's excuse. 200 passes in a total span of 6 hours of practice (with time for rest in betwee, of course) should make a QB's arm weary? Come on.

When it comes down to it, though, I think Smith just had a bad day.

Again, Peyton Manning had a bad day in practice the other day. This is not to compare Alex to Manning, but it just goes to show that you're not always going to look good in practice. I think the notion that "Smith SHOULD look good every day in practice" is just absurd. Now if he stunk it up every practice, I'd be a little more concerned, but when it is a one time deal r this camp there is way too much stock put into that day.

I don't get too high on Smith when reports are good, and I don't get too low when he has an off day.

What I certainly take exception to are the fans that are hypocritical. If you are going to bash Smith for a bad day in practice, you sure as sh!t better praise him for a good day when he has it. Unfortunately, the ACP just focuses on the negative and doesn't acknowledge his good days.

But when he has a bad day, it's time to create a "sky is falling" thread and start sh!tting their pants.

Like I said, it's a double standard and horesh!t IMO. But hey that's just my 2 cents.

Cheers.

As I said, I think Alex just had a bad day. Let's get that straight. BUT, no starting-caliber QB should look bad in practice. There's no reason for it. Look at all the disadvantages the defense has to work with. I'm not putting much stock into one day of practice, but a bad practice is cause for concern (even if just a little) because there's no reason for it. Just because Peyton Manning had a bad day doesn't make it OK. That's a bad thing for the Colts and their fans.

Again, it was just one day, so I'm not taking on a "the sky is falling" outlook. The main point of that post was to let you know the double-standard is understandable. Look what I said about the defense's disadvantages and then tell me a QB should be praised for doing well under those conditions. That's like putting Alex Smith and Ted Ginn Jr. in a 40-yard dash against each other, but giving Alex a 20-yard head start, and then praising him when he wins the race.
This is why the drunk idiot in the front office should have gone after McNabb.

Not all people are convinced that McNabb is a solution. Jerry Jones just joined the McNabb bashing game.

Link

well if he can score 18 tds in 10.5 games (on pace for about 27 tds) im sure he would be alrite

Singletary has also raved about Smith's work.

I'm not trying to rag on Alex Smith, but what exactly do you expect a coach to say about a QB that he decided to stick with instead of exploring other options via the draft or free agency?

Just a hunch.

and considering thats he's been developing since 05, thats awesome!!!

ur the most ignorant and stupid person ive ever meet how the hell do u throw the ball or expect him to develop or play if he has a 3rd degree injury on his throwing arm?
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

well if he can score 18 tds in 10.5 games (on pace for about 27 tds) im sure he would be alrite

and the 3rd wheel just arrived
Well, no ground breaking news when it is reported that Alex Smith looks inconcistent in practice.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Singletary has also raved about Smith's work.

I'm not trying to rag on Alex Smith, but what exactly do you expect a coach to say about a QB that he decided to stick with instead of exploring other options via the draft or free agency?

I'm not trying to call you out or anything but its this double standard that annoys me.

If Smith gets an obvious rave review from his coaches ("...light years ahead from a year ago...taking leadership...different guy..." Not just "yeah he's doing ok...coming along nicely...doing what he needs to do..." Big difference)...then its just "oh the coaches are just SAYING that. When he gets a bad report here and there from reporters its..."Well see...we should have explored free agency."
Share 49ersWebzone