There are 268 users in the forums

concerned with new O-line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:
i'm excited about seeing a new center, really can it be worse than last year? sometimes in life change is good.....who was the famous yankee who got into a game cus of injury and never gave up his spot? not saying that will happen but our o-line has been brutal since 2006, time for a change up

I'm with you, crab if Heitmann doesn't watch out he may lose his starting gig.
We're going to have the best O-line in the league.
Originally posted by Snider8706:
We're going to have the best O-line in the league.

Next year maybe, but we have to improve throughout the year to get to that point.
Originally posted by mayo63:
i'm excited about seeing a new center, really can it be worse than last year? sometimes in life change is good.....who was the famous yankee who got into a game cus of injury and never gave up his spot? not saying that will happen but our o-line has been brutal since 2006, time for a change up

He may get "Wally Pipped!"
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
I don't know if Heit was making good reads or bad reads last season but blitzing up the middle was enough for most teams to stuff Gore or get Alex to roll right. We know teams are blitzing up the middle all the time anyways so hell, I could call that for the line pretty much every play. Gore had to rip off some huge runs to offset all the times he got stuffed and Alex rolled right so many times I thought my TV stand wasn't level!

Originally posted by RDB4216:
Originally posted by pdxredandgold:
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Originally posted by alwayzA9er:
see all I'm hearing is how it could be worse....thats what I am saying. I want dominance in two first rounders that are coming in and starting.

Also I am def more worried now that our probowl center is out of action. Hopefully there wont be any botched snaps, or at least get that fixed in the preseason if there is a problem.

Well it's not like Baas or Wragge have never played Center before. They know "how" to snap the ball, so I'm not too worried about a rash of bad snaps happening. I think the only real concern is going to be with adjustments. Heitmann was responsible for pre-snap reads, and changing blocking assignments if needed. So the question is, can Baas/Wragge read the blitz?

Bass played all last year next to Heitmann, so he should be familiar with the language and the assignments.

Well of course he knows the language, he has to be able to understand it to know what he needs to do. The difference is the Center doesn't just have to know what "he" needs to do, but what the whole line needs to do. Then there is still the issue with making the reads. The Center has to look at the whole defense and see if anyone shows blitz. Baas doesn't have to do that playing guard. There is film study involved, and looking for tendancies in defences and players. That is the benefit of an experienced Center - that knowing.

It's kind of like saying that Norris would be fine calling audibles, just because he plays in the backfield with Smith.
I am concerned... yes, but the 2006 Jets should give us a little hope. They had two rookie OL start with an average QB, a great D, and a top ten running game, and they finished 10-6.

I recently looked through that list of teams which had rookie OL starting the first week in the last 5 years, and sevveral of the teams made the playoffs that year, while others finish 8-8, 9-7... there were a few stinkers, but it does appear that rookie OL can provide immediate help to the team...

I am more concerned that if they do struggle, they will use that as Smith's "crutch" on why he would not succeed, therefore giving him another chance in 2011...
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Quote:
I am more concerned that if they do struggle, they will use that as Smith's "crutch" on why he would not succeed, therefore giving him another chance in 2011...

Don't worry, if Smith doesn't show in 2010, there will be no 2011 for him in SF.
Quote:

Don't worry, if Smith doesn't show in 2010, there will be no 2011 for him in SF.

exactly...I'm a supporter but if he doesn't get it done this year he's gone.
Playing the Colts should be a good test for the O-line. The Colts D is small and quick. We should be able to steamroller them with the run game. Hopefully we won't fall way behind, a situation where their rush might be hard for the young guys to handle.

Not a chance. The team would have made this move, or gave Baas an opportunity, long before if Baas was anywhere near Heitmann's level. Both Baas and Wragge are backups in this league. Switching interior line positions is not going to automatically make him a better player.

Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Not a chance. The team would have made this move, or gave Baas an opportunity, long before if Baas was anywhere near Heitmann's level. Both Baas and Wragge are backups in this league. Switching interior line positions is not going to automatically make him a better player.

Do you think we take a harder look at Center's this year in the draft? Maybe Pouncey for instance.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
I look at it like this... Thank god we have first round talent to use on the line.
Snyder was a friggin' nightmare at RT I can't believe that the coaching staff even uses the word "versatile lineman" when describing him. Anything is better than him at RT.

As others have mentioned though, the center position concerns me more than anything, especially with Baas pitching grounders in shotgun formation. I hope he gets up to speed.
I don't see why we should even bother with these concerns as it relates to the rookies. At some point, they have to play, and I am glad that they are talented enough to come in and start as rookies. With them, potentially things will get better as the season goes on. We wills ee flashes of brilliance and times where they will get beat. I'll take that over Snyder and Baas who have probably shown us what they have over the last 5 seasons.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Do you think we take a harder look at Center's this year in the draft? Maybe Pouncey for instance.

A ton of variables will determine the team's priorities in the 2011 Draft, especially at center. Will Heitmann return to full health? My guess is that he will be fine. A broken leg is 100 times better than an ACL. Generally, players can come back and play at the same level, no problem. They just need to rest and heal.

My guess is that Heitmann will miss 6 weeks, and come back ready to go, and handle the rest of the year fine. He's been healthy most of his career. And, the team likes his role as the leader of the line. He is the anchor, the team captain, and the guy who can help develop the young pups.

As for Baas, he is on a one-year contract, and I believe this is the end of the road for him. I do not expect him to suddenly emerge as starter material during 2010, and wouldn't be surprised at all if Wragge leapfrogs him as the opening day starter. I believe the team will keep Wragge next year as their emergency interior lineman, and also release Wallace after 2010. So, they will need to add another young body.

I think Heitmann's health and play after his return will be the determining factor of how the team approaches the draft. If he looks strong, then the team will probably use a third day pick on another developmental guy who can start in 2012 (Rounds 4-7). If they feel that Heitmann is possibly getting too long in the tooth, and are looking for a young kid to challenge him in camp, they will select someone in the first three rounds.

When Heitmann is healthy, he will be the starter. The only question is when.
Share 49ersWebzone