There are 173 users in the forums

Has your Optimism of the upcoming 2010 season subsided at all?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Has your Optimism of the upcoming 2010 season subsided at all?

Just want to get a gauge on where everyone is at in regards to your Optimisim (or Pessimism) for the upcoming season. We all know things happen in camp, like injuries, players stepping it up, or not.

The general concensus at the start of camp seemed to be that we all were very pumped, and optimistic that we were going to dominate the division and make the playoffs.

Just want to find out if we're still on that same page of thinking..because it seems like alot of the excitement on the board has subsided in light of the injuries, A. Smith being cited as having just a "so-so" camp so far... Kentwan's mysterious absence, Jerry's Speech (ok just kidding) etc. among other things.

Lets get an idea of where the general concensus stands now...
always have low expectations, it'll make you live longer.
As we get closer to the season opener, I am regaining doubt in our QB. Also, we are going to start the season with 2 rookies, and a center that hasn't played center in years (hopefully Heitmann is mentoring Baas)...
Same as it was when camp started pumped for the season. I really don't see how anybody could change there opinion's based on TC so far.
while there's no denying Smith has improved, slightly, over the past years, IMO, he's still no where near the QB a team needs to win championships. Sorry.
I'm really starting to lose that confidence I had at the start of TC. It just feels like we get flooded with more bad news everyday. Players not stepping up, injuries, and news that our division rivals are doing well. It just sucks. Our blog writers, that are at every practice and watch our team more then all of us, really don't have much positive to say and really highlight where our team is failing. It's almost like we were going to break throught these chains that have been holding us down over the past 8 years and finally come into our own, but now the expectations have dropped and we are back to what we have been in recent memory.
I'm still pumped its that football time of the year more importantly 49er football. Injuries happen but hopefully we don't have anymore at Key spots. Our season really depends on Alex Smith...everything lies on how much Alex Smith really has changed. I'm not expecting him to come out the gate like the second coming of Joe Allah Montana...blessed be his name....but we were good last season in the since that we kept it close...we didn't loose anybody major on either side of the ball...Crabtree WILL be better this year. If the D plays the way it did last year...its all on number 11 and the O line...no more excuses for anybody these boys need to live up to the ESPN hype.....I know this has nothing to do with anything but Madden is out now...I was watching the review of the game and not only did a lot of the clips have 49ers but the superbowl game was us vs the Pats...and we won... ] I just want us to start playing consistent quality football.
If you think about it, we could be very similar to the 2006 Jets. They finished 10-6 with 2 rookie OL, an average QB, and a top 10 defense. We have the advantage of the significantly better rushing game (Gore vs. Leon Washington).

Our season will heavily depend on Alex Smith's progress and the coaching schemes that are put in place. While some of my optimism has waned, I am still very excited to finally watch some 49er football!
This team is going no where as long as Alex Smith is the quarterback. Say what you want about his statistics and "improvement" from last year, he just doesn't have "it". That special something that makes you believe he will come through when the team needs him most. He's done that one time, in Seattle in 2006. That's it. The 49ers better wake up and realize that the pieces are in place and the lack of QB is the only thing standing between them and a championship run.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Still the same for me. I still expect to win the nfc west.

• Veteran
This is nothing that the other 31 teams arent going through.
Originally posted by 8008:
This is nothing that the other 31 teams arent going through.

I know, and I'm not a pessimist... i actually voted for the first choice... I just wanted to find out where the trend was going... Gotta love the Poll option!
The injuries are starting to pile up pretty bad but it's early. This stuff's gonna happen and it all builds towards the character of your team. Good that the young guys get a taste of it now rather than during crunch time.

The vets know how this works already and my expectation is that we make the playoffs on the backs of our veteran players. The vast majority of the defense has been together a while now and I see them as the backbone of our team. We have too much leadership in our defense to regress on that side of the ball.

The O-line concerns me a lot more than anything, but after the emergence of our spread offense last year, I expect to be able to fall back on that no matter how dinged up our line gets (and the defense should be able to keep us in within striking distance). Might not be the style of offense the head coach wants to run but circumstance dictates more often than not and everybody has to be flexible. If it's good enough for Tom Brady to run, then it's good enough for our QB.

If the coaches are really serious about winning the division then it's time to take the training wheels off Smitty and let em do what he's good at within the system that we run. The offense will evolve around the QB as the line solidifies and before long, the guys will be running the offense that our coaches are trying to install. Once again, I think patience will be a virtue but that's the boat we're in as I see it. Could be a lot worse...
Results so far... pretty Interesting:

Looks like 35% of us are starting to get a bit worried due to the influx of injuries and Alex's less than stellar "Ho Hum" play during training camp thus far....

32% of us are still "Friggin PUMPED" and see us making the playoffs and a possible Super Bowl Run...

While 14% of us think its too early to tell due to the fact that we as fans simply are wishy washy and fickle.

It looks like coming in at just a hair less are the 13% of us whos Optimism has not subsided but if Smitty just can't put it all together better than what he's showing now, and also if we lose another intergral player due to injury, than we just might start losing hope... but we have not yet...

Then there's the 5% of us who haven given up all hope and think we're due for another under 500 playoff-less season.

And finally coming in last with 2% of the votes, are those of us who are like the girlfriend who has been cheated one one too many times, and always puts up the wall to protect herself and her feelings from being hurt again! They have lost all trust in men. That's what this 2% is. Those who never had high hopes and are not surprised what so ever at the developments of camp thus far. Expecting the worst and hoping for the best so to speak...

[ Edited by zozell on Aug 10, 2010 at 14:39:54 ]
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
always have low expectations, it'll make you live longer.

I knew there was a good reason for banging all those fat chicks.

-9fA

[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Aug 10, 2010 at 14:46:57 ]
Share 49ersWebzone