There are 192 users in the forums

What a bummer, Balmer!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by miked1978:
Originally posted by brucesf49:
while the main subject is on his personal issue (while this is probably some family issue such as sickness/death) I have to make a comment on this bust thing. it is entirely possible that 1st round picks can end up being backups or role players. sometimes the blame is entirely on the drafter not the draftee. he should have been drafted later than he was. we have several 1st rounders who are backups on our team. I know he wasnt a high draft pick but it was a couple years till franklin got a lot of playin time.

This is true. If not mistaken Franklin sat the bench in Baltimore for 4 years and didn't make an impact with us until his 2nd year. Thats 5 years of non-productivity.

Balmer was selected too high but everyone knew he was a project and he probably would have been selected in the early 2nd round. Also he has Justin Smith and Isaac Soapaga in front of him at his position. Smith isn't going anywhere and Soap fits his role well.

I disagree that Balmer was picked too high. A concensus of major mock drafts that year had him in the first round at the 29th pick, exactly where he was picked.

I never saw him listed in any first round mock, the consensus to allot of people was that he was the 3rd best DT... still doesn't mean 1st round. And the majority of experts not named Keiper thought we reached for this pick.

That being said, good luck to him and whatever he is going through... I would still rather him be a productive player than get 5 minutes of laughter calling him a bust on a forum.
Mike Singetary tells KNBR, "It's on Kentwan." Balmer has decisions to make on how he wants to handle personal matters, 49ers coach says.
But Singletary says Balmer will be on team this season. I think it's fair to assume it's not so clear cut.

https://twitter.com/MaioccoCSN/status/20797613938
https://twitter.com/MaioccoCSN/status/20797714587

Damn sounds like depression or something, I hope Balmer is able to get ride of some personal demons. Nothing like a success story right?

[ Edited by global_nomad on Aug 10, 2010 at 07:59:48 ]
It almost sounds like the kid failed a drug test or something...
bust anyway. GTFO
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
bust anyway. GTFO

everyone thought Mario Williams was a bust his first 1.5 years too. It takes a while for that position to develop.
He will be missed...

Whatever his problem is, he has 2 weeks to MAKE the team. If he continues at the pace he's at now, he wont be on the team when the 53-man cut happens.

Get your butt in gear now!
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
You know, this constant 24-hr media coverage; twitter, etc. is going to be the end of civilization as we know it.

Just watch how much people overreact to Matt Maiocco's column about Alex Smith looking average so far (in the 1st week of practice, mind you).

Quote:
Source: Kentawn Balmer will return to Niners on Wednesday
Posted by Mike Florio on August 10, 2010 10:36 AM ET
The mystery of defensive tackle Kentawn Balmer's absence from 49ers training camp has been solved. Sort of. We think.

Per a league source, coach Mike Singletary granted Balmer a couple of days off to deal with a family issue. Balmer is expected to return on Wednesday.

Of course, there's a chance that the family issue unexpectedly will take more time than that. And there's also a chance that the team and the player are trying to downplay what could be a bigger issue.

Either way, it looks like there's a good chance this issue will become a non-issue by Wednesday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/10/source-kentawn-balmer-will-return-to-niners-on-wednesday/

Florio's a cad.
bust anyway. GTFO
whos been worse, kentwan balmer or reggie mcgrew?

Originally posted by FL9er:
You know, this constant 24-hr media coverage; twitter, etc. is going to be the end of civilization as we know it.

Just watch how much people overreact to Matt Maiocco's column about Alex Smith looking average so far (in the 1st week of practice, mind you).

Quote:
Source: Kentawn Balmer will return to Niners on Wednesday
Posted by Mike Florio on August 10, 2010 10:36 AM ET
The mystery of defensive tackle Kentawn Balmer's absence from 49ers training camp has been solved. Sort of. We think.

Per a league source, coach Mike Singletary granted Balmer a couple of days off to deal with a family issue. Balmer is expected to return on Wednesday.

Of course, there's a chance that the family issue unexpectedly will take more time than that. And there's also a chance that the team and the player are trying to downplay what could be a bigger issue.

Either way, it looks like there's a good chance this issue will become a non-issue by Wednesday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/10/source-kentawn-balmer-will-return-to-niners-on-wednesday/

Florio's a cad.

OVERREACT !?! HOW DARE YOU!

This is the webzone. What do we have without an over-reactive, insatiable fanbase... Nothing

This whole episode is probably blown way out of proportion. From everything I've every read about Balmer, he remains very driven to be a member of the Niners. Which by now is actually a negative, because it shows you that he has applied himself and he still isn't making his mark. Didn't take long at all for ALL the other 1st rounders to crack the starting lineup for the last 6 years.
Originally posted by crabman82:
whos been worse, kentwan balmer or reggie mcgrew?

In the least, Balmer served on special teams. Actually got one return LMAO I can't remember McGrew doing anything but get hurt. Dude probably smoked and ate his way out of the league.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
bust anyway. GTFO

everyone thought Mario Williams was a bust his first 1.5 years too. It takes a while for that position to develop.

I'm sorry............................but did you just put Ketwan Balmer in the same sentence as Mario Williams? The #1 pick in the draft and our disappointing late first rounder are apples and oranges.
Why so much hate for Balmer? When he got on the field last year, he made plays, not unlike Jason Hill. Some things require patience, in the meantime, there is no benefit to trashing the guy. And it sounds like something unfortunate happened, so lets hope for the best.
What's the deal with him being part of the Tarheels investigation? Do you think this has something to do with his leave of absence?
Share 49ersWebzone