LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

Its time for Taylor Mays

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoGetit:
Originally posted by TX9R:
Mays isn't close. He couldn't cover or tackle bums in the Pac10 and people expect him to step in and cover NFL guys better than a 10 year vet? He's big and fast but he has s**t for football instincts. He was a bad pick to begin with considering what esle was available, but maybe, maybe a few years of good coaching can make him servicable. The only way he should see the field this year is on special teams where his size and speed and lack of instincts could be an asset.

you clearly are the biggest idioit to make this comment. they guy had the worst coaching at USC. The 49ers coaches will tell you that. go back to sleep. Bush supporter.

Noob: you won't last long here by having nothing but personal attacks to support your theories. It's interesting that 95% of professional scouts have the same analysis I do. You may also want to learn how to formulate a sentence properly.
Mays isn't close. He couldn't cover or tackle bums in the Pac10 and people expect him to step in and cover NFL guys better than a 10 year vet? He's big and fast but he has s**t for football instincts. He was a bad pick to begin with considering what esle was available, but maybe, maybe a few years of good coaching can make him servicable. The only way he should see the field this year is on special teams where his size and speed and lack of instincts could be an asset.

you clearly are the biggest idioit to make this comment. they guy had the worst coaching at USC. The 49ers coaches will tell you that. go back to sleep. Bush supporter.

Noob: you won't last long here by having nothing but personal attacks to support your theories. It's interesting that 95% of professional scouts have the same analysis I do. You may also want to learn how to formulate a sentence properly.

not to mention calling someone stupid has netted me a 25% warning...and he should probably get one...

BE MORE CONSTRUCTIVE WITH YOUR FEEDBACK...

Sorry.
Sorry.

to be fair, the USC coaching staff didn't do Mays any favors pre-draft. If had the appropriate coaching, he probably would have been a first rounder.

But instead, we get him at a lower price and his desire is increased, just to prove everyone (and most importantly his old coach) wrong.
Four things from this thread that stand out:

1) Mays is not ready yet to be put in the starting lineup. Mad Dog is correct that Reggie Smith is looking like the first safety off the bench based on his progress.

2) Lots of talk about Mays potential as a special teams player. I think he would be a huge asset on ST and a potential game changer with his physical skills.

3) Lots of heated debate about Mays' instincts and the perceived lack of coaching he received at USC. TX9R is entitled to his opinion about Mays' apparent lack of instincts and a lot of scouts shared the same opinion. During the draft, I didn't want to draft him in the first round because of those same feelings.

Most importantly.............

4) Mays appears to be driven to succeed. The kid is working hard to overcome the negative perceptions and is driving the coaches crazy trying to develop the instincts he supposedly doesn't have. I am excited about his future as a Niner and can't wait to see how he develops.

This is one player I will definitely be watching Sunday. The fact that this guy seems to make watching the defense even more exciting points to him being a good NFL player. Now add in the work ethic will all that talent and he could do some good things.

If you think I'm jumping the gun, then you tell me how many players that have top rated talent, top rated work ethic, and a chip on their shoulder fail in any profession?

He will be playing on that field often this season or next season. If it ain't at FS, then it will be at SS. If it ain't either one of those, then it will be somewhere doing something.

He's like the Defensive equivalent of Vernon Davis. Athletic ability off the charts and a mentality to work hard. Sooner or later Davis was going to break through and so will this guy.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Four things from this thread that stand out:

1) Mays is not ready yet to be put in the starting lineup. Mad Dog is correct that Reggie Smith is looking like the first safety off the bench based on his progress.

2) Lots of talk about Mays potential as a special teams player. I think he would be a huge asset on ST and a potential game changer with his physical skills.

3) Lots of heated debate about Mays' instincts and the perceived lack of coaching he received at USC. TX9R is entitled to his opinion about Mays' apparent lack of instincts and a lot of scouts shared the same opinion. During the draft, I didn't want to draft him in the first round because of those same feelings.

Most importantly.............

4) Mays appears to be driven to succeed. The kid is working hard to overcome the negative perceptions and is driving the coaches crazy trying to develop the instincts he supposedly doesn't have. I am excited about his future as a Niner and can't wait to see how he develops.

Yup, all-o-'dis
Now that Itputai/Davis are with the first team...Mays needs to be in the mix. Theres WAY WAY to much to talent. He's got the best coaching now.

Heh... your username has 'tit' in it.

“He’s always the guy at the end of the meeting sitting in there and asking questions when everybody else leaves. That’s always a good sign. He’s a perfectionist. You can see that already.” – Greg Manusky on rookie free safety Taylor Mays

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2010/08/12/49ers-training-camp-day-12-youth-is-served-on-o-line/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29
Originally posted by jreff22:

i knew there was a reason I clicked in this thread.

But yea, first time he's out of place and get's burnt, we're gonna be calling for his head. Let him sit a season to learn the ropes.
Didnt Darnell Bing have some hype for a USC safety?

That being said, of course i wanna see Mays do well for the Niners.
Originally posted by SolRebe1:

To be fair to Mays, Bing's hype came from being the top rated safety prospect out of highschool, he was good in a very good defense but was never too special in college. He received allot of awards but it seemed like everyone on USC's defense during that time received all the awards just cause it was USC. He never stood out like Polamalu, or even Mays his junior year.

And to the above argument, Scouts questioned Mays coverage abilities cause he never had to, not really because he couldn't. He got schooled one on one in the senior bowl practices, but then when game-time came he got an interception, no one knew what to think. He is the typical boom or bust prospect... but if he couldn't tackle or cover scrubs in the pac 10 he wouldn't have been projected to go in the first round by most scouting services, which he was. I honestly think Carroll passing on him in the 1st scared off multiple teams who otherwise might have picked him. But I agree, he isn't ready to be a safety in our defense yet, let him get the scheme down and maybe throw him in on obvious run situations (like an additional LB) or Hail Mary's, all other situations should be reserved for Reggie before Mays.
Originally posted by SolRebe1:

No Comparison. I read Mays dad is an exec at Microsoft and Mom is one of the top execs at Nordstrom. He clearly has the work ethic. Go Taylor Mays!!
Share 49ersWebzone