LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 250 users in the forums

Its time for Taylor Mays

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Not yet even though he has all the tools to be a great player. I still think that Lewis has something left he is one of the hardest hitters on the team if not the NFL. Lewis is a missle on run support and I feel like some get the 32 and 52 mixed up when they see someone flying in for a tackle. With that said I cant wait to see Mays in action so hopefully he can prove were in good shape when Lewis is done playing.
It's time to unplug the internet.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
No.

Because unlike the really low level of play from the starters that the 2 1st rounders replaced, Lewis and Goldson are good.

Lewis is a liability in coverage. He and Mays were pretty much the same player, only Mays has way more natural talent and ability, speed being his biggest advantage over Lewis. Coming into the NFL, Mays was a run-stopping safety, which is what Lewis is. As of right now, however, Mays could have learned how to cover. The reports are that he's been studying his ass off trying to learn what he needs to learn. Even if he just became somewhat decent in coverage, he would be a better option than Lewis because of Lewis' lack of speed.

I'm not saying he should start because Lewis is solid, but some of you like to run with that "he's not ready" response as if you know that for a fact. If anyone seems like they're not ready, it's Anthony Davis, yet he's with the first team now. I'd rather see what Alex Boone can do until it seems like Davis is ready. Boone looked pretty impressive at the TCs I attended, while Davis usually looked so-so, especially in 11 on 11 drills.

[ Edited by 49erRider on Aug 9, 2010 at 22:30:22 ]
Originally posted by wailers15:
His time will come. Patience my friend. I'm sure we will see him on special teams, and in certain packages, but starting at safety is a taller task than OG maybe not OT but it's alot to intake.

Next Year he will start. This i strongly feel will be Lewis's last yr. He won't hold up.

• TX9R
  • Veteran
Mays isn't close. He couldn't cover or tackle bums in the Pac10 and people expect him to step in and cover NFL guys better than a 10 year vet? He's big and fast but he has s**t for football instincts. He was a bad pick to begin with considering what esle was available, but maybe, maybe a few years of good coaching can make him servicable. The only way he should see the field this year is on special teams where his size and speed and lack of instincts could be an asset.
Originally posted by TX9R:
Mays isn't close. He couldn't cover or tackle bums in the Pac10 and people expect him to step in and cover NFL guys better than a 10 year vet? He's big and fast but he has s**t for football instincts. He was a bad pick to begin with considering what esle was available, but maybe, maybe a few years of good coaching can make him servicable. The only way he should see the field this year is on special teams where his size and speed and lack of instincts could be an asset.

Originally posted by GoGetit:
Now that Itputai/Davis are with the first team...Mays needs to be in the mix. Theres WAY WAY to much to talent. He's got the best coaching now.

Some people are athletic freaks but when you put them on the field just aren't meant to play football. He is probably one of them. There is nothing more frustrating than watching a safety who has no idea how to play a ball in the air so I pray that Mays does not play. Then again maybe he can finally figure it all out, but im not counting on it. And also he had some pretty good coaching at USC.....
If he can out gun the 2 guys in front of em then hell ya; get em in there But nobody should have anything handed to them, especially the rookies.

From what I've read about Mays, he and Lewis sound as though they bring a similar physical game to the table, so until he knows what Lewis knows, he shouldn't be pushed in front imo. That's one position where we can be patient.

Let him make an impact on special teams first.
  • dald1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ftbl899:
Now that Itputai/Davis are with the first team...Mays needs to be in the mix. Theres WAY WAY to much to talent. He's got the best coaching now.

Some people are athletic freaks but when you put them on the field just aren't meant to play football. He is probably one of them. There is nothing more frustrating than watching a safety who has no idea how to play a ball in the air so I pray that Mays does not play. Then again maybe he can finally figure it all out, but im not counting on it. And also he had some pretty good coaching at USC.....

u know nothing about his role in the usc defense do u? better yet do u even watch football
Originally posted by dald1:
Originally posted by ftbl899:

u know nothing about his role in the usc defense do u? better yet do u even watch football

With all the time he is putting in and his level of motivation, its really only a matter of time before he breaks the starting line-up and becomes an impact player. His timetable is just a little longer than some would like. But after all, he's a second rounder with first round talent.

you clearly are the biggest idioit to make this comment. they guy had the worst coaching at USC. The 49ers coaches will tell you that. go back to sleep. Bush supporter.

you clearly are the biggest idioit to make this comment. they guy had the worst coaching at USC. The 49ers coaches will tell you that. go back to sleep. Bush supporter.

lulz... ninertalk... now log back into your other account now that you've got that out of your system.
Share 49ersWebzone