There are 192 users in the forums

49ers' center Eric Heitmann injured

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by jreff22:
per MM

Stock falling: Center David Baas continues to struggle with the execution of the shotgun snap, airmailing one over Smith's head and being high on some others. Baas and Wragge are competing for the right to fill in for Heitmann as the starter.

Read more: 49ers Camp Report: Practice 19
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

mattbarrows

Another David Baas special -- shotgun snap looks like an infield pop up.

Cast the bust for Canton.

Cheers.

P.S. How many days until Wragge takes over?

Maybe you can answer this......why isn't he getting a lot of reps with Smith?
per MM

Stock falling: Center David Baas continues to struggle with the execution of the shotgun snap, airmailing one over Smith's head and being high on some others. Baas and Wragge are competing for the right to fill in for Heitmann as the starter.

Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

mattbarrows

Cheers.

I think the Niners believe Baas is the best replacement for Heitmann. However, if he can't get the shotgun snap consistently on target, the team will have to turn to Wragge, who from all accounts, has not struggled in this area in his reps.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Aug 12, 2010 at 19:41:24 ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Why do people think life is fair?

Maybe Baas's best position is center?

Was this not true of Heitmann?

Why didn't he start, why didn't the coaches do this or that with him, why does Smith get sacked, etc... is nonsense. There is too much complexity involved when looking at all of that.

You can take 1 guy, clone him into 3 duplicates, and then have them fight for a starting job. One of them is going to start, one of them is going to be 2nd string, and one of them is going to be 3rd string.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what anyone's opinion is. The only thing that matters is "How do they play when they are playing in the game." Not "What are their stats," not "What do the coaches think", not "What do the commentators think."

When Baas is playing, he is not too bad at pushing people around. He is slow, and poor at pulling (which brings up the question, why the hell do the coaches have him do it so much, but that is another topic). He does not easily get bull-rushed. In fact, he gets pushed backwards less than any other lineman on our team that I have seen. He wiffs in pass pro sometimes.

Heitmann rarely wiffs in pass pro, has quick feet, can pull well, can get to the second level very well, can block well on the move, can hold the point very well at times, smart with his leverage. But he gets bull rushed more than average, and can get manhandled at times.

Those aren't opinions, they are observations. Its possible two people see the same thing differently, but that's the advantage of everyone in the world being different I suppose.

Its great to have a smart center who can pull, trap and get to the second level.

Its also great to have a center who can blow you off the ball, and not get bull rushed.

I'm not as down on our o-line as most on the board are. I think RT has been the one truly crippling problem on the line for years.
If Davis can give us some good play from RT this year, I think whoever is playing center is going to be given an unfair amount of credit for "improving the line", but then again, like I said before, "Why do people think life is fair?"

Bill Walsh didn't draft players thinking, "He's good, he sucks..." he drafted players thinking, "In what specific way can this players specific ability help our football team?". He developed players, and used them CORRECTLY. I think Baas can do fine replacing Heitmann if used CORRECTLY.

You won't be saying that when we fumble a snap that costs us the game. And it will happen often with Baas and Smith.
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
per MM

mattbarrows

Cheers.

I think the Niners believe Baas is the best replacement for Heitmann. However, if he can't get the shotgun snap consistently on target, the team will have to turn to Wragge, who from all accounts, has not struggled in this area in his reps.

Wragge has been the backup for a while so they know what they have with him, but who is going to back him up if he goes down???

Better to work those details out now, don't you think!!!
I keep reading that Baas is f**king up

How is Wragge doing?
Originally posted by ads_2006:
I keep reading that Baas is f**king up

How is Wragge doing?

Tambien lo esta cagando!!!
Originally posted by tn9er:
per MM

mattbarrows

Cheers.

Wragge has been the backup for a while so they know what they have with him, but who is going to back him up if he goes down???

Exactly. I do believe that Wragge will get time @ Center in Preseason. It's not like he's never played the Center position or is a Rookie or even a guy that had issues at Center.

The issue is that Baas was DRAFTED to be the Center. How can he do that if when he's struggling you yank him and put Wragge or Wallace in there?

I'm not saying give him Reps at the expense of the season but it seems to me that many people here just like to have something to Bish about. Harris is gone. Smith seems to be coming into his own as a QB, now we're down to Chilo and Baas. If people even ONCE bished about Baas then they need to shut up and let the kid perform or fall flat on his face. I mean c'mon you cannot bish about a guy failing to perform when he rarely gets on the field. Especially when you know the coaches that we had before really weren't all that good. Baas is on his last season to finally show what he can do or have his stuff boxed and ready to go at the end of the year.

I'm not gonna sweat this issue between now and the beginning of the season. Let's see what he does the 1st 2 games(if named Starter) before nailgunning his coffin lid shut. Shall we?

~Ceadder
this sounds really newb but what's the name of that real old (39 or 40) C that's a member of the NFLPA that no one has signed? he has made it to several consecutive pro bowls (to lazy to look up) point is i think we need to bring him in.
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by tn9er:
per MM

mattbarrows

Cheers.

Exactly. I do believe that Wragge will get time @ Center in Preseason. It's not like he's never played the Center position or is a Rookie or even a guy that had issues at Center.

The issue is that Baas was DRAFTED to be the Center. How can he do that if when he's struggling you yank him and put Wragge or Wallace in there?

I'm not saying give him Reps at the expense of the season but it seems to me that many people here just like to have something to Bish about. Harris is gone. Smith seems to be coming into his own as a QB, now we're down to Chilo and Baas. If people even ONCE bished about Baas then they need to shut up and let the kid perform or fall flat on his face. I mean c'mon you cannot bish about a guy failing to perform when he rarely gets on the field. Especially when you know the coaches that we had before really weren't all that good. Baas is on his last season to finally show what he can do or have his stuff boxed and ready to go at the end of the year.

I'm not gonna sweat this issue between now and the beginning of the season. Let's see what he does the 1st 2 games(if named Starter) before nailgunning his coffin lid shut. Shall we?

~Ceadder

I'm interseted in seeing if he can get some push when they lineup for that 3rd and 1.

I'm so tired of watching gore get stuffed for a 2yd loss everytime...
Baas should be good there but wragge played pretty good in spot duty too. we'll be fine

So.............why haven't the Niners contacted Kevin Mawae yet?

When Heitmann first went down, I didn't think the Niners needed to worry about anything. With several players already on the team having exp at center, I thought it would work itself out. But after reading the blogs the past few days, I'm starting to think otherwise. Baas keeps getting all the first team reps at center, and he keeps screwing up shotgun snaps. The shotgun is what Smith does best and the offense CANNOT afford to mess with that. The offense can't afford any more fumbles PERIOD.
Wragge is another option. But if Wragge was worthy of starting, he would've been playing last season at guard when Baas and Rachal were stinking it up.
I hear Snyder can play center also, but do we really want Snyder playing the most important position on the line?

Heitmann isn't out all season, so there could be issues if the Niners did sign Mawae. However, Heitmann could always just go back to playing guard if need be. After all, that's what the Niners drafted him for. He didn't play guard until the team needed someone to fill in for an often injuried Newberry. Having Heitmann available to play guard gives the team a little insurance. If Rachal or Iupati struggle during the season, the team would have Heitmann as an option instead of glass man Baas or average Joe Wragge.

Of course this will never happen. Baas will struggle at center in the mean time. We'll see several fumbles during the center/QB exchange and several shotgun snaps sent 30 yds behind the QB till Heitmann returns.
Share 49ersWebzone