LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 230 users in the forums

Do we re-sign Takeo?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Spikes is entering the last year of his contract and I still believe that he's playing at a reasonably high level and that he provides a good veteran presence in the locker room.

I personally hope that we re-sign him.

Do you still think he's starter material or do you think that we should be looking for some more play making ability from Bowman or even Wilhelm?

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Spikes is entering the last year of his contract and I still believe that he's playing at a reasonably high level and that he provides a good veteran presence in the locker room.

Do you still think he's starter material or do you think that we should be looking for some more play making ability from Bowman or even Wilhelm?

-9fA

If he keeps his level of play up then yes. If he doesn't I hope he will retire a niner and let bowman hopefully get in there
its going to depend on the development of bowman, if bowman shows he can start, were not gonna keep spikes as a backup
  • cgida
  • Veteran
I feel if his play continues to warrant consideration than by all means, sign him to a two year deal with no promises. But, if his play falls off than it is time to move on. I feel Bowman is going to get significant playing time this year and show us that he is our future at the TED position w/ McKillop coming back as a backup.
Originally posted by Dajanksta:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

If he keeps his level of play up then yes. If he doesn't I hope he will retire a niner and let bowman hopefully get in there

If that happens then I would love to have him for another year. Keep developing Bowman.
Spikes is a beast! I think he has 2-3 years of high level play in him so i say hell yes. He's great for Willis, he's a vocal leader, he's respected. Bowman is signed for 4 years he can wait his turn.
If he can make it through this season without significant injury play at a consistent level, I say give him a 2 year extension. He has leadership qualities, plus he's hungry.

Plus he probably can't play every down, so Bowman can get worked in.

[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Aug 6, 2010 at 19:54:23 ]
Originally posted by matt49er:
Spikes is a beast! I think he has 2-3 years of high level play in him so i say hell yes. He's great for Willis, he's a vocal leader, he's respected. Bowman is signed for 4 years he can wait his turn.

I would be careful to say 3 more years, the dude is old. But.. if he can play like he does -- he puts fire in this squad -- then hell I'm down to give him a 1 or 2-yr deal come offseason. Let's see how the season plays out, tho! What would be even better, imo, is that Bowman turns on the heat and beats him out.
Let's see how this season goes then decide. No team is going to sign him to a long term deal, at this stage of his career he is playing season to season, sort of like Seau did at the end of his career.
keep re-signing him, then eventually make him a LB coach if he wants too. =]

him and willis are the best ILB duo we have had in a long long time, and should be kept together for a while, Spikes is awesome, even at a age that is high, still going and should be extended, maybe even after VD.

Top priorities.

Re-Sign Vernon
Re-Sign Goldson if he has a good 2010
Re-Sign Alex, Same as Goldson
Re-Sign Takeo

Then focus on a Shutdown CB and True NT, along with OLB in the draft and FA, hopefully all goes well, and we have a young and veteran mix of talent signed long term.
I think offering em an extension would be the safe thing to do seen as we haven't even talked extension with Lawson. I'd hate to see em both hit the open market and then wind up losing both. Overhauling half of the starters at LB'er isn't a scenario I'd like to see played out. Long season though; maybe one of the young fellers will step up and show that they know what's going on.

On the other hand; if we get Manny back I wouldn't be surprised to see TKO go. We're gonna be spending some serious $ in the very near future and times will be tight. Could very well wind up being a cap casualty with younger and cheaper options right behind em in the depth chart
  • cools
  • Veteran
Gotta love TKO, Yes extend or resign

He's a solid two down ILB, a coach on the field, a great leader, and quite funny too

whoever is backing him up Bowman/Wilhelm will still get plenty of PT
Depends on how he plays but as of now - YES. Resign him. We all know injuries happen all the time and even if he didn't start [like Sims] he could come in and produce results from day one.
I love TKO. No homo
Share 49ersWebzone