LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 202 users in the forums

Proof that 89 49ers were the best.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Originally posted by kidash:
Originally posted by BobS:
I am partial to the 84 team, No Rice but you had Tyler and Craig as a 1-2 punch.

It was always a debate for me whether the '84 team was better than the '89... For some reason, I always liked THAT '89 team better!

Guess I wasn't the only one...

well Jerry Rice was on the 89 team so the end

Now this is the kind of debate I'm talkin about! A couple of Niners fans arguing over which 49ers team was not only the best in team history...but in NFL history!

Allow me to throw the '94 team into the mix. After they pulled their heads out of their asses following the blowout loss to Philadelphia, and the narrow escape in Detroit....they were a ballclub that could contend with the very best of the best.

They were an incredible team all year long, but from week seven till the Super Bowl, I think they are a real contender for the best ever!
All 5 teams should be in the top 20. If for no other reason than they all were part of perfection in the Super Bowl.

Only have 3 teams ranked in the top 20?

I guess if they're going off points scored then yes only 3 but they went off more than that for other teams.

Can you believe only 3 players from the '89 squad are in the HoF, Yet ELEVEN Steelers from the '75 team are in the HoF? How many points that team score on both sides of the ball?

But at least the East Coast homers are finally coming around.

Oh and point of fact? We WERE the Evil Cyborgs. They need to get that straight.

~Ceadder
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
I am partial to the 84 team, No Rice but you had Tyler and Craig as a 1-2 punch.

It was always a debate for me whether the '84 team was better than the '89... For some reason, I always liked THAT '89 team better!

well Jerry Rice was on the 89 team so the end

Now this is the kind of debate I'm talkin about! A couple of Niners fans arguing over which 49ers team was not only the best in team history...but in NFL history!

Allow me to throw the '94 team into the mix. After they pulled their heads out of their asses following the blowout loss to Philadelphia, and the narrow escape in Detroit....they were a ballclub that could contend with the very best of the best.

They were an incredible team all year long, but from week seven till the Super Bowl, I think they are a real contender for the best ever!

I was at that game

I agree. The article is a load of horse hockey sold as gibberish. The writers are forgetting about Freddie Solomon and Dwight Clark.

Yes Virginia, there were good receivers before Jerry Rice.

Plus the '84 team had Ronnie Lott in his PRIME, Fred Dean, Dwayne Board, Randy Cross, Keith Fahnhorst and so many other stars.

A 15-1 team gets ranked fifth best of all time?

Sure.....And I've got some prime oil-soaked swampland in Lousiana for you....
I each of the years that the Niners won a SB. But I to the 1989 49ers...the best Niners team ever! No arguments from me.
  • titan
  • Veteran
84 team could have easily been undefeated, but I was 4 at the time so I appreciate the 89 team a liitle bit more.
This I will agree on: There was more STAR POWER on that '89 team to be sure.

But in terms of "best team?" I still default to the '84 squad. They were just SCARY good. And they were NOT favored to beat Miami in the Super Bowl.

In fact -- for two weeks leading up to the game -- all the talk was about how Marino and the two Marks (Clayton and Duper) were going to run circles around the Niner D.

Did not happen. 49ers controlled it from the start.
if anyone wants to buy some clean Programs from the 1988 and 1989 seasons then PM me: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=143650
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by billbird2111:

I agree. The article is a load of horse hockey sold as gibberish. The writers are forgetting about Freddie Solomon and Dwight Clark.

Yes Virginia, there were good receivers before Jerry Rice.

Plus the '84 team had Ronnie Lott in his PRIME, Fred Dean, Dwayne Board, Randy Cross, Keith Fahnhorst and so many other stars.

A 15-1 team gets ranked fifth best of all time?

Sure.....And I've got some prime oil-soaked swampland in Lousiana for you....

Anybody who watch the 1984 team knows that the only team that could beat the 49ers that year wore stripes...

I was pissed on the ride home after that game...
Its funny how one play can change a season... a perfect season.
But at least as time passes and the game gets better and better, Our Niners Still get remembered as one of the best to have played this game.

Great post. I guess there are some folks at ESPN who actually knows football. There are a lot of 49ers haters in ESPN.
Man, I remember going to the Super Bowl parade for the '89 team, too. When the float came around with all of our heroes on it....well, that was probably the greatest moment of my life (till the boy was born, of course.)

84 team was incredible no doubt...top 5 all time. But how can a team without Number 80 be considered the best ever?

89 niners best ever.
Share 49ersWebzone