LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 291 users in the forums

Smith must play like No. 1 pick for Niners to reach potential

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by Snider8706:
It doesent matter what pick he was he needs to play like a top 5 QB for the team to reach it's true potential. There's no more excuses for little Alex........I wish we had Aaron Rodgers.

If we had Rogers you would be wishing we had Smith, cause it would be him that's tearing it up in Green Bay. It's not the QB so much as the situation. GB did it right, Nolan did it ALL wrong, even after Smiths college coach told him NOT to throw Smith to the wolves.

I don't understand why this is always so readily dismissed. Regardless which QB we couldn't taken back then, Nolan was going to ruin him.

Alot of our instability late in Nolan's regime was because of Alex. Nolan had no faith in him and he brought in Martz knowing that Smith was no longer apart of his plan. I have little doubt in my mind that Rodgers would have secured himself as the franchise by the end of his 3rd season.

With the roster we currently have Rodgers would be a Pro Bowler and we would be deep in the playoffs. Believe me I'm not a Rodgers- Cal homer either. I'm from Ohio and I was planning on throwing my TV out the window if we drafted that Tedford bum. I was wrong, the Niners were wrong and it's time to admit that we blew that one.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Aug 4, 2010 at 10:07:13 ]
Originally posted by Shaj:
It doesent matter what pick he was he needs to play like a top 5 QB for the team to reach it's true potential. There's no more excuses for little Alex........I wish we had Aaron Rodgers.

If we had Rogers you would be wishing we had Smith, cause it would be him that's tearing it up in Green Bay. It's not the QB so much as the situation. GB did it right, Nolan did it ALL wrong, even after Smiths college coach told him NOT to throw Smith to the wolves.

what Meyer told us, in so many words, was that Smith is an extremely slow learner. If he said that before the draft (I don't remember), those were extremely prophetic words that should have served as a huge warning sign. My feeling though is that just because somebody says that doesn't mean Smith should get a free pass for being "nonfunctional".

Nice attempt to spin Meyers comments. He said nothing about how slow or quick Smith was to pick things up, he just said that until he did, he would struggle, but when he did, he would play lights out. Here is the quote, which solidly rebukes your attempted spinjob.

"It's going to be interesting in San Francisco," Meyer said. "Alex is an extremely quick learner. However, he's a guy that, until he understands it, he is nonfunctional. He is a guy that -- I keep hearing how Brett Favre kind of makes something out of nothing and is a person that runs around to make a play -- Alex Smith is not that kind of player. Alex Smith is a person that, once he is taught, has to learn it all. He might struggle early, but once he gets it, he gets it."

"I'm going to be anxious to watch his development with the 49ers. Alex is so careful with the ball. His touchdown-to-interception ratio the last 2 years was phenomenal (47 touchdowns and seven interceptions). That's because, unless he knows exactly what's going on, he won't throw it. He won't just try to guess and take a shot. He has to know.

"That's why, early in his career, and early in our career with him at Utah, he was not an effective passer, because he really didn't understand. Once he understood, there was no one better. He learns quickly, though. But he's not a guy that you throw the ball out there and tell him, 'Go play.' He wants to know what is exactly expected of him and then he becomes a dynamite player.'

Sorry Shaj

what Meyer told us, in so many words, was that Smith is an extremely slow learner. If he said that before the draft (I don't remember), those were extremely prophetic words that should have served as a huge warning sign. My feeling though is that just because somebody says that doesn't mean Smith should get a free pass for being "nonfunctional".

ya it was before the draft and what meyer said wsas that he needs to learn the system before he plays in it that is not at all to unresonable to as for your starting QB and you know what besides brett favre every great QB has been in the same system. Meyer told us ahead of time that all we have to do is keep him in the same system and let him learn it before he plays (thats how usually smart people are (they want to learn what theyre doing before they do it) and we have failed to do even that

Even if Alex went to green bay he would still be the same Alex. And they would have dumped him already.

I'm still not sure about Smith but I hope he breaks out finally, but I still think Rodgers is better by a mile.

Even if Alex went to green bay he would still be the same Alex. And they would have dumped him already.

I'm still not sure about Smith but I hope he breaks out finally, but I still think Rodgers is better by a mile.

lol u keep thinking that

the words of warning from his coach in college that untill he learns the system he is nonfunctional till he learns the system he wouldve had 3 years to learn the system in GBwhere he hasnt even had the chance here

this year we will see if what urban myer said was true or not
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

lol u keep thinking that

the words of warning from his coach in college that untill he learns the system he is nonfunctional till he learns the system he wouldve had 3 years to learn the system in GBwhere he hasnt even had the chance here

And we only had to waste six seasons!!!!

lol u keep thinking that

maybe if we gave him a decent o line not featuring kwame harris and a WR not featuring brandon lloyd and ashley lellie and a different OC every year

alex smith hasnt done good ill admit it but he hasnt failed the team the team has failed him

lol u keep thinking that

Let's be honest: We all know that Alez Smit teh suxors has played 9 full injury free seasons.
Again with this crap again guys? Really?

• Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Nice attempt to spin Meyers comments. He said nothing about how slow or quick Smith was to pick things up, he just said that until he did, he would struggle, but when he did, he would play lights out. Here is the quote, which solidly rebukes your attempted spinjob.

"It's going to be interesting in San Francisco," Meyer said. "Alex is an extremely quick learner. However, he's a guy that, until he understands it, he is nonfunctional. He is a guy that -- I keep hearing how Brett Favre kind of makes something out of nothing and is a person that runs around to make a play -- Alex Smith is not that kind of player. Alex Smith is a person that, once he is taught, has to learn it all. He might struggle early, but once he gets it, he gets it."

"I'm going to be anxious to watch his development with the 49ers. Alex is so careful with the ball. His touchdown-to-interception ratio the last 2 years was phenomenal (47 touchdowns and seven interceptions). That's because, unless he knows exactly what's going on, he won't throw it. He won't just try to guess and take a shot. He has to know.

"That's why, early in his career, and early in our career with him at Utah, he was not an effective passer, because he really didn't understand. Once he understood, there was no one better. He learns quickly, though. But he's not a guy that you throw the ball out there and tell him, 'Go play.' He wants to know what is exactly expected of him and then he becomes a dynamite player.'

Sorry Shaj

He learns PLAYBOOKS quickly is what I got from what he said. THat's how he got a degree so fast. However, he learns how to play on the field very slowly = nonfunctional on the field. That is in fact exactly what happened.

Sorry Shaj

He learns PLAYBOOKS quickly is what I got from what he said. THat's how he got a degree so fast. However, he learns how to play on the field very slowly = nonfunctional on the field. That is in fact exactly what happened.

I don't know what scares me more. Rebuilding with a new QB, or Alex conning us into an extension.
I dont see how a fan of the 49ers can disregard the progress of Smith, their own quarterback-even when they're hearing it from the players as well as the coaches too!!!

If you're hating on Smiths progress and abilities, maybe you're too young to remember another quarterback that had the same questions about his qualities; it took him 4+ years to 'get it', but before then, most didnt believe in him. Except Bill Walsh...

What was his name?

Oh yeah, Steve Young.

I dont understand that a lot of people who dont think Alex is a good qb doesnt believe in the concept of 'people do improve in most things'. Its pretty easy to grasp. Improvement is a possibility, dont cha think?
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Sorry Shaj

I don't know what scares me more. Rebuilding with a new QB, or Alex conning us into an extension.

I'm scared to death that Smith plays just well enough to tease us into an extension. Something like an 80 - 83 passer rating, comprised of high ratings against the leagues worst teams and low ratings against the good teams. I want him to either nail it, with no excuses, or to lay eggs on the field and get it over with.

Sorry Shaj

I'm scared to death that Smith plays just well enough to tease us into an extension. Something like an 80 - 83 passer rating, comprised of high ratings against the leagues worst teams and low ratings against the good teams. I want him to either nail it, with no excuses, or to lay eggs on the field and get it over with.

Eh a QB contract year isn't like a DT contract year. The QB with the same system and the same teammates if they're a good supporting cast, should be good if he was good last year. So if he has a good year this year and we extend/franchise him, he should be a good player. Because it's more of a mental/talent combination than a position like franklin where it's a fitness/talent/mental combination of what it takes to play that position. So if he finally gets it for good, then we're good to go.

Sorry Shaj

On this we can agree. It is time to put up or shut up. Given Alex's dimeanor in interviews, he knows it, and is seemingly taking control. We will see if the results are good enough to lead the team where we want it to go.

At this point in time... GO ALEX!! GO 49ERS!!!
Share 49ersWebzone