LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

Smith must play like No. 1 pick for Niners to reach potential

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
@ every one of you guys with the Aaron Rodgers bs, they guy would have had just as rough a time trying to succeed here as Smith has had. Except he probably would have gotten hurt more because he likes to hold onto the ball much longer than his line could protect him, hence his high sack numbers. If you really like Rodgers, you should be stoked that he got to go to an organization that had its s**t together.

You give Aaron Rodgers our current personnel and it's a guarantee that he's a Pro Bowler and we're deep in the playoffs.

Last year the Packers defense was arguably better than the 49ers defense (2nd in yardage), and yet Rodgers made a quick exit from the playoffs. RB Grant ran for more than 1200 yards. People already pointed out that Rodgers was sacked too much because of his habit (i.e. the Packers OL was not entirely at fault). What makes you think that he'd do better with the 49ers personnel?

That probally had to do with their defense giving 50 points in the playoffs.

The Packers line is just as bad as ours, true Rodgers gets sacked alot but he also makes plays by extending the play too. See Big Ben. That's the double edged sword you get with that kind of QB.
@ every one of you guys with the Aaron Rodgers bs, they guy would have had just as rough a time trying to succeed here as Smith has had. Except he probably would have gotten hurt more because he likes to hold onto the ball much longer than his line could protect him, hence his high sack numbers. If you really like Rodgers, you should be stoked that he got to go to an organization that had its s**t together.

You give Aaron Rodgers our current personnel and it's a guarantee that he's a Pro Bowler and we're deep in the playoffs.

Last year the Packers defense was arguably better than the 49ers defense (2nd in yardage), and yet Rodgers made a quick exit from the playoffs. RB Grant ran for more than 1200 yards. People already pointed out that Rodgers was sacked too much because of his habit (i.e. the Packers OL was not entirely at fault). What makes you think that he'd do better with the 49ers personnel?

The Packers line is just as bad as ours, true Rodgers gets sacked alot but he also makes plays by extending the play too. See Big Ben. That's the double edged sword you get with that kind of QB.

Sigh. I wonder why the myth regarding the Cardinals defense giving 51 pts continues to perpetuate. Rodgers threw an interception right off the bat, giving Kurt Warner a short field to work with (40 yards or so). He must shouldered the blame for that one. Then in overtime Rodgers fumbled the ball that a defensive player ran in.

The Packers OL gave Rodgers more time than the 49ers line gave Hill and Smith. The "double-edged sword" is good as a way to portray how creative Rodgers can be, but why don't you blame HIM when the play didn't work to his liking, but instead you pin the blame on the OL instead?
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Smith Controls Offense At Camp

Enjoy GO 49ERS!!!!!!!
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

And a HOF qb to mentor him

It's not like Brett farve is yoda or something. I don't like hearing that phrase "mentor" because people try to make it sound like farve is responsible for Rodgers' success.

Look at the guys behind Peyton manning would you want them as your QB???
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Snider8706:

It's not like Brett farve is yoda or something. I don't like hearing that phrase "mentor" because people try to make it sound like farve is responsible for Rodgers' success.

Brett Favre....Yoda.....Somebody's gonna Photoshop this

I do not think Farve actually had much to do with his success so much as being in an organization that knew how to develop a young QB. Sure he got to watch the waffler play, but I think it was not being thrown into the grinder on the most talent starved team I have ever seen in my 30+ years of watching football.Some of you guys just need to take of the Cal colored man-crush goggles and realize that both are a product of their environments, respectively.

Sigh. I wonder why the myth regarding the Cardinals defense giving 51 pts continues to perpetuate. Rodgers threw an interception right off the bat, giving Kurt Warner a short field to work with (40 yards or so). He must shouldered the blame for that one. Then in overtime Rodgers fumbled the ball that a defensive player ran in.

The Packers OL gave Rodgers more time than the 49ers line gave Hill and Smith. The "double-edged sword" is good as a way to portray how creative Rodgers can be, but why don't you blame HIM when the play didn't work to his liking, but instead you pin the blame on the OL instead?

Green Bay's defense gave up 531 total yards of offense. But yeah I should blame Rodgers even though he put up a 121 rating and 45 points. You know how many times Alex has done that when playing an entire game? If you guessed never you guessed correct. He's yet to have a 100 QB rating during a start. Rodgers has a career average of 97.3.

Green Bay's line is just as bad as ours. You're kidding yourself if you believe otherwise. It's a fair point that Rodgers takes alot of sacks, but you take those sacks when he puts up 4,000 yards and has a career 3-1 TD-Int ratio.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

Green Bay's defense gave up 531 total yards of offense. But yeah I should blame Rodgers even though he put up a 121 rating and 45 points. You know how many times Alex has done that when playing an entire game? If you guessed never you guessed correct. He's yet to have a 100 QB rating during a start. Rodgers has a career average of 97.3.

Green Bay's line is just as bad as ours. You're kidding yourself if you believe otherwise. It's a fair point that Rodgers takes alot of sacks, but you take those sacks when he puts up 4,000 yards and has a career 3-1 TD-Int ratio.

to you for that post.
It doesent matter what pick he was he needs to play like a top 5 QB for the team to reach it's true potential. There's no more excuses for little Alex........I wish we had Aaron Rodgers.

If we had Rogers you would be wishing we had Smith, cause it would be him that's tearing it up in Green Bay. It's not the QB so much as the situation. GB did it right, Nolan did it ALL wrong, even after Smiths college coach told him NOT to throw Smith to the wolves.
It doesent matter what pick he was he needs to play like a top 5 QB for the team to reach it's true potential. There's no more excuses for little Alex........I wish we had Aaron Rodgers.

If we had Rogers you would be wishing we had Smith, cause it would be him that's tearing it up in Green Bay. It's not the QB so much as the situation. GB did it right, Nolan did it ALL wrong, even after Smiths college coach told him NOT to throw Smith to the wolves.

Originally posted by Shaj:

to you for that post.

im sure rodgers would have had a grade 3 shoulder injury if that 300 pound fat ass jumped on his throwing shoulder for all we know it couldve been worse because the tiem he holds the ball rodgers is a great qb but he was put in the perfect situation learning under a HOF and given decent targets and learning under the same system smith is only given that oppertunity (besides the HOF QB) right now its not fair to compare them at all

with thatbeing said as of now

rodgers >smith till proved otherwise
Originally posted by WINiner:

GB could afford to sit rodgers. We are still in QB hell so the 9ers had no choice to put him, after all he was the No. 1 overall.

I don't understand why this is always so readily dismissed. Regardless which QB we couldn't taken back then, Nolan was going to ruin him.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

If we had Rogers you would be wishing we had Smith
, cause it would be him that's tearing it up in Green Bay. It's not the QB so much as the situation. GB did it right, Nolan did it ALL wrong, even after Smiths college coach told him NOT to throw Smith to the wolves.

GB could afford to sit rodgers. We are still in QB hell so the 9ers had no choice to put him, after all he was the No. 1 overall.

Why are some of the "faithful" still going b--tchin' over this? It's in the damn past.
Right NOW, we r looking pretty damn good & poised to take back the west. Go 9ers!
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

what Meyer told us, in so many words, was that Smith is an extremely slow learner. If he said that before the draft (I don't remember), those were extremely prophetic words that should have served as a huge warning sign. My feeling though is that just because somebody says that doesn't mean Smith should get a free pass for being "nonfunctional".
Share 49ersWebzone