Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by NatralBrnThrila:
F Brett Favre. We're better than the Vikings without Mark Roman. We woulda been better off bringing another pass rusher on that play than trusting that loser to defend a 5 yard area.

Why does everyone blame Roman for that play? It's clearly the coaches/coordinator fault. If you have 1-1 matchups in the end zone with 2 plays left and 30 yards back then your running the dumbest scheme ever.

On the play 2 Steve beat 4 guys to win the game. Favre threw to the only person in the endzone and he was single covered.

Uhhh! Because it was his fault and you said so yourself. He was the only "open" receiver in the end zone and guess who was in position to make a play and didn't? Come to think of it; Lewis was THE ONLY receiver in the end zone and Roman had no other assignment except to break up that play. Last time I checked, it was the DC's job to put everybody in position to make a play and it's the players jobs to make the plays. How you fault that logic blows my mind???

Man to man coverage my ass. He was sitting in his zone, Goldson ran the receiver into Roman's area where it's his JOB to help the guys who are playing man to man and he got beat by a back up who was in front of em the entire time on a 30 yard prayer with out of bounds guarding his back (I don't know how I could have made that play sound any worse). All he had to do was knock the ball down and he flailed while simultaneously getting posterized by a nobody. That play will be on Greg Lewis' trading card until the next time he plays Mark Roman

Where did I say it Roman's fault? Where did I say it was man to man coverage? A 1-1 matchup doesn't imply that I was saying it was man to man coverage. Roman got beat by a perfect pass and catch. The blame should go on Manusky for having 2 players guarding the entire end zone when there's 2 plays left. A 15 yard sideline pass is not going to hurt us in that instance. There's no excuse for having single coverage in the end zone. It's the coordinators job to put together the best scheme for that scenario, and they failed miserably. There's a reason why teams go with the prevent. Because of that.

He got beat by a backup. Last time I checked Roman was our backup too.

K man make up yer mind. Do you think it was single coverage or was it double? You're entire argument is based on the false assumption that Lewis beat single coverage, but in the same breath you claim it was Manusky's fault for only having 2 defenders in the end zone. Fact is: there was only 1 Viking in the end zone and we had Goldson in chase with Roman over the top. That's double.

They had a 4 wide set on the field and we countered with our dime. The wideout on the far left drew double corner, the 2 receivers on the right drew both corners along with P Willy and Lewis (slot left) drew Goldson (who jumped up in man) and ultimately Roman who was to provide cover over the top (his JOB). There's not 1 area on the field where we didn't have Minny out numbered. Sounds like a pretty good scheme to me if EVERYBODY does their jobs.

1 thing you're right about is the fact that a 15 yard out wouldn't have killed us. But you still have to make the tackle or the force out and the notion that we had more bodies to commit to defending a receiver that was already doubled is ridonkulous.

The only skillful part about the play was the match up that the Vikings forced by not running any of the other 3 receivers into the end zone which effectively gave Lewis more room to work. But like I said; he was doubled and had no business making that play over Roman.

Bottom line is, if you're put in a position to make a play then you make it or you don't and if you don't, guess what; it's on you. That's the story of Mark Roman's career and I can't figure out why you're defending this toilet???

It was zone coverage with each safety responsible for a half of the endzone. Goldson wasn't apart of that play after Lewis left his zone. He was at midfield when that pass went out. It was 1-1 on the endzone and it's clear as day to see that.

Goldson's right behind Lewis in the end zone running em into Roman. That's clear as day.

It doesn't matter; the play was Roman's to make and he failed miserably like he always does when the chips are down. He seen the pass coming, he had his man right next to him and he blew it. End of story.