There are 214 users in the forums

Are we better than Favre-less Vikings?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I've been considering this since he announced his so-called retirement and looked at it a couple of ways...most obviously, without Favre, we wouldve won that game last year without question.

Positional Breakdown (Being ultra conservative) :

QB: I'll give Tavaris a slight edge for now, only bc hes been to the playoffs, but by the end of this year I think Alex will be viewed by everyone as better

RB: AP slightly beats out Gore, but they lost Chester Taylor, so we get the win for RB bc of our depth

TE: Vernon > Shiancoe

WR: Rice, Berrian, Harvin RIGHT NOW are better than Crab, Morgan, Ginn, but take away Favre and Rice's breakout season never happened and were right back to level...here is PUSH

O-Line: Vikings have one of the best in football, ours is too young to compete here

Secondary: Push here, neither are very impressive....I could get grilled for this, but I have unimpressed with Nate, I love our young safeties but Dash needs one more year and Mays is a rookie, so hes a mystery

LBs: Hands down Niners, we have the best LB in the game, we win

D-Line: Theres no way we can compete with the Williams Wall even if Franklin gets to camp

All that being said, I think coach Sing puts us over the top

what do you guys think?
1000000% yes.
  • Mex49
f**k that b***h! We were better last year but our coaching staff dropped the ball
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
1000000% yes.
The real question is how the rest of the NFC Central are viewing this "alleged" retirement of Favre and if it improves their prospects in the division. A Tavaris Jackson-led Vikings squad is going to be down a few notches, which does not bode well for their passing game. Rice's numbers will likely drop. May need to use Harvin more in the swing/short passing game to help Jackson. Packers licking their chops...
Hell no. Theyre a hands down better team at every position cept MLB and TE.
Yes

//end thread.

Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

You do realize we had them beat if not for a miracle pass at the very end...
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

Hands Down?

I think you are undervaluing the Niners.
better than a farve viking! and better than a brees saint! WATCH!!!! and i hope farve returns because i so much wanna see the niners somehow play them in the playoffs. niners gonna beat all these nfl sweethearts!

• mayo49
  • Veteran
I think we're better than the Favre-less Vikings. I have no confidence in anything that Tavaris Jackson can do. Rosenfels probably gives them the best chance to win and that's saying alot.

[ Edited by mayo63 on Aug 3, 2010 at 12:06:07 ]
F*ck bret favre
Vikings just moved down the ladder, and the 49ers just climbed it by a few notches.

Also, I think Favre has been a curse to the 49ers (even throughout non-matchups his presence in the NFL alone has been a curse to us.). I pray the curse is now lifted.

[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Aug 3, 2010 at 12:16:56 ]
One first down away from beating them with Shaun Hill in their house. Or if Dre Bly could catch a damn ball

[ Edited by BETTERDAYZ9ERS on Aug 3, 2010 at 12:24:53 ]
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Vikings just moved down the ladder, and the 49ers just climbed it by a few notches.

Also, I think Favre has been a curse to the 49ers (even throughout non-matchups his presence in the NFL alone has been a curse to us.). I pray the curse is now lifted.

Actually this exact theory was brought up this morning on Sirius. It opens up the door for another playoff spot in the NFC. Everyone agreed that the Vikings do not make the playoffs w/o Favre. That leaves the door open for another team in any other NFC Division. Green Bay should win the North but that's it from that division. The wild cards will come from the East, and the other from either the South or West.

Oh yeah and BTW F*ck Brett Favre.
Share 49ersWebzone