LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

What Vernon would do if Dez Bryant was in Camp

Shop Find 49ers gear online
they said roy williams came up with a tone like youre my b***h something like that and dez bryant thought he was being am a*****e
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
I completely agree with crzy in this thread. It's stupid tradition, and if previous greats had to do it - doesn't mean everyone has to do it today as well. Good for Dez...the guy is going to be stud.
Originally posted by crzy:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Dez Bryant is going to be a perennial Pro Bowler. And he shouldn't have to carry s**t.

Humility is overrated in sports. The most arrogant athletes are usually the best athletes.

See: Michael Jordan, Deion Sanders.

Wrong ... Rookie hazing is a time honored tradition, with roots down to the Pop Warner. He builds comradarie, fellowship and team spirit.

The vets were once rookies and were hazed, even vets that went on to the HOF. THey had to carry pads, and fetch food and such.

If Dez doesn't like it, he can join the Girl Scouts.

It's a bulls**t tradition.

The Minnesota Vikings get it right. They ban distracting things like hazing.

Hazing should be left for dumb frat boys and has no place in the NFL.

Dez has the right mindset. He is there to win football games, not to carry other people's equipment.

Isn't that the mind set for every NFL to who cashes in a pay check is to win games and ultimately a superbowl. What makes Dez so dam special? I"m sure Michael Irvin did it.

Hazing is a lame tradition if its intent is is to humiliate or hurt someone. Carrying somebody's equipment is harmless.
Dez Bryant is going to be a perennial Pro Bowler. And he shouldn't have to carry s**t.

Humility is overrated in sports. The most arrogant athletes are usually the best athletes.

Wrong ... Rookie hazing is a time honored tradition, with roots down to the Pop Warner. He builds comradarie, fellowship and team spirit.

The vets were once rookies and were hazed, even vets that went on to the HOF. THey had to carry pads, and fetch food and such.

Dez has the right mindset. He is there to win football games, not to carry other people's equipment.

Hazing, orientation, initiation.. call it what you want, most clubs and organizations have them. It is a rite of passage.

As for the Vikings, perhaps they should try it. Last time I checked they had no Super Bowl Trophies.

Vikings....distracting things......Bret Favre drama.......
Originally posted by sacniner:

Deion went through the rookie hazing. I see your point, but in this case it's BS. Carry the pads and STFU. He hasn't done s*it yet. A lot of rookies think they are going to be perennial pro bowlers.

Yup. All he did was paint a big target on his back. If he tries to throw that kind of attitude on the field, he's gonna get the chocolate knocked out of him pretty quick.

What a horsesh*t reponse.

As a former Marine, member of a fraternity, and as an athlete for most of my younger days, I can tell you that hazing exists in the Corps, My house (which you are not to talk sh*t about...I made life long friends as a Phi Delt, and the experience was awesome...regardless of what those who have never been through it choose to think), and on every team I have ever played on.

It is generally good natured razzing...and in general, the guys who got huffy about it were self-entitled crybabies.

If Bryant wants respect, he should go about earning it.
guaranteed Dez will be hazed.

It's tradition.

Out of the coaches' hands , it's now up to tradition.
I bet Deion , Aikman, and those other phaggoty ex Cowboys are calling out the new Cowboys.
Actually, there was an article written during the last year that discussed the 49er training camp, as well as the difference between a Mike Nolan camp (where he allowed fighting between the team mates) and a Mike Singletary camp (where he prefers NO fighting). In this article, Sing talks about being a family, and yes there are disagreements but you are there to support each other in the end. The article even mentioned that hazing is not really done by the team because of Coach Sings philosophies and that the players are there to help each other, not disrespect each other.

So, since VD is a Major Believer in Coach Sing, my humble opinion is that VD would not even tried to disrespect any person, player or team mate in a hazing situation, meaning he would never have done it in the first place.

So this isn't about whether you as a fan like hazing or not, it is about the tone and philosophies that Coach Sing gets across.
Simply this:

What? BS tradition? What making the rooks carry Vet gear or making them sing in front of the entire team is a BS tradition? Come off it now, its not like they're being duct taped to the goal post and tazered.

It's neither BS nor lame. If the Rooks can't handle it then they should just skip college ball entirely and take up Golf. Though I seem to recall there is a decent amount of hazing in Golf.

~Ceadder
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Legbreaker:

As a former Marine, member of a fraternity, and as an athlete for most of my younger days, I can tell you that hazing exists in the Corps, My house (which you are not to talk sh*t about...I made life long friends as a Phi Delt, and the experience was awesome...regardless of what those who have never been through it choose to think), and on every team I have ever played on.

It is generally good natured razzing...and in general, the guys who got huffy about it were self-entitled crybabies.

This is professional sports, not the Marines.

Don't try to compare sports which is entertainment to people serving their country.

Don't try to compare sports which is entertainment to people serving their country.

Your right its a professional sport.. where Rookies who haven't played a single down, shed blood in a game or proven anything in the league get payed more than the majority of vets if they are picked in the first round.

Get over yourself, hazing happens everywhere, its part of joining the team. If a rookie comes in automatically making more than 90% of the team without playing a down... Beeotch better be happy to carry anything the team wants him to with a big ass smile. His response should be "Sweet! they are paying me millions of dollars to do this!" Even 1st time Pro-bowlers get hazed by people not even on their own team when they make the trip, and they actually proved they can play. Dez is a disrespectful POS who thinks he is better than everyone... thats it and thats what his act of defiance shows. It's fine to think your the best in your head but until you show it on the field, shut your mouth and pay your dues. You wanna prove your a man and wont take sh*t... get in a tussle when the CB tries to rough you up, decleat a linebacker on a crackback, get physical with some extracurriculars like VD does. Dont throw a hissy fit cause you dont wanna carry pads. Dez is one of those people who thinks he's hardcore just cause he spent $70 on an overpriced gheyass affliction shirt. But in his case it's cause he was a first pick.

Herm Edwards.. one of the most loved coaches in the league by the players when he coached forced all the rookies to bring him crispy creams every Saturday. Pay your dues or get shunned by the league since everyone else goes through with it. And btw... the vikings haze, dont fool yourself into thinking they are some righteous team lol.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
The words of Bill Walsh echo my sentiments

Quote:
JT: A big league locker room where people are fighting for their professional life can be a pretty cutthroat place sometimes--hazing of rookies and the like.

Bill Walsh: We didn't allow it. We didn't allow any hazing whatsoever. Players should be able to focus totally on their performance and their effort to make the team. They shouldn't be distracted or maligned. And it really worked out because there were men who came in and started as rookies and were included on the team the minute they arrived. And guys like Billy Ring and Milt McCall who came to us as free agents. They were allowed to compete for a job rather than be distracted and embarrassed through hazing. There's always one cruel person if there is any form of hazing. It just takes one cruel person who mistreats others. That can really have an effect on them and, consequently, an effect on the team's performance.

Bill Walsh is right. Hazing is unnecessary childish bulls**t.

/end thread
[ Edited by crzy on Jul 28, 2010 at 5:07 PM ]
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 5280High:

Your right its a professional sport.. where Rookies who haven't played a single down, shed blood in a game or proven anything in the league get payed more than the majority of vets if they are picked in the first round.

Get over yourself, hazing happens everywhere, its part of joining the team. If a rookie comes in automatically making more than 90% of the team without playing a down... Beeotch better be happy to carry anything the team wants him to with a big ass smile. His response should be "Sweet! they are paying me millions of dollars to do this!" Even 1st time Pro-bowlers get hazed by people not even on their own team when they make the trip, and they actually proved they can play. Dez is a disrespectful POS who thinks he is better than everyone... thats it and thats what his act of defiance shows. It's fine to think your the best in your head but until you show it on the field, shut your mouth and pay your dues. You wanna prove your a man and wont take sh*t... get in a tussle when the CB tries to rough you up, decleat a linebacker on a crackback, get physical with some extracurriculars like VD does. Dont throw a hissy fit cause you dont wanna carry pads. Dez is one of those people who thinks he's hardcore just cause he spent $70 on an overpriced gheyass affliction shirt. But in his case it's cause he was a first pick.

Herm Edwards.. one of the most loved coaches in the league by the players when he coached forced all the rookies to bring him crispy creams every Saturday. Pay your dues or get shunned by the league since everyone else goes through with it. And btw... the vikings haze, dont fool yourself into thinking they are some righteous team lol.

Share 49ersWebzone