LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 217 users in the forums

Michael Lombardi says Willis is top 10 Frank Gore is not...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
I didn't read the responses here, but I'm sure it was noted that Alex Smith wasn't even characterized as a red chipper, and that Lombardi indicated we'd have much more upside if we had traded for McNabb. Let the excuses fly.....

Give it a rest.

-9fA

I won't rest until we have a franchise QB. The issue zoners had with Razzano was that he was unemployed and spiteful. Lombardi is employed and has no bias against the niners or Smith (if anything, he's giving us a lot of love), yet he still made the point that Smith is not a Blue or Red chipper and we should've traded for McNabb so that we'd have someone competent tossing the ball to our receivers. The norm in this site is to rip the source or provide excuses for Smith, so I'm waiting for both.

Just my not so humble opinion, but if we signed McNabb I think we would of been instant Superbowl contenders, much like the Vikes last year.
I didn't read the responses here, but I'm sure it was noted that Alex Smith wasn't even characterized as a red chipper, and that Lombardi indicated we'd have much more upside if we had traded for McNabb. Let the excuses fly.....

Give it a rest.

-9fA

I won't rest until we have a franchise QB. The issue zoners had with Razzano was that he was unemployed and spiteful. Lombardi is employed and has no bias against the niners or Smith (if anything, he's giving us a lot of love), yet he still made the point that Smith is not a Blue or Red chipper and we should've traded for McNabb so that we'd have someone competent tossing the ball to our receivers. The norm in this site is to rip the source or provide excuses for Smith, so I'm waiting for both.

That's fine just don't go spamming threads that have nothing to do with Smith - like this one.

We all know you're not a big of Smith. We get it.

-9fA

Give it a rest.

-9fA

That's fine just don't go spamming threads that have nothing to do with Smith - like this one.

-9fA

This thread is about Smith too. Not only did Smith miss out on Lombardi's top 15 not a single person is willing to him on challenge that.
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Give it a rest.

-9fA

-9fA

This thread is about Smith too. Not only did Smith miss out on Lombardi's top 15 not a single person is willing to him on challenge that.

Lombardi did say that the season depends on Smith. What more do people want? If we challenge anyone about it then we're homers or riding Smith's jock. If we don't say anything at all then we don't believe in the guy. Is there no winning on this at all?

I've been nothing but on the fence about the guy since he's been drafted. I want him to live up to his potential and nothing more. Well more would be freakin awesome. But I've never been one of those "he wasn't worth the 1st pick" kind of people. Me? I could give a Truck where you're picked. 1st or 1 hundred and 1st. You're on my team til they cut/waive/trade or retire you. I choose to root for ya unless you show you have no business wearing an NFL uniform (*ahem Barlow cough*) but I don't feel that any player play to a level commensurate with their draft position. That's complete and utter hogwash. Especially if that player is hamstrung coming out of the locker room every Sunday by the organization that drafted them.

I mean c'mon did Steve play well as a 1st rounder when he first came into the league? NO. Hell no he didn't.

It's not about that though imho. It's about what you do with the TIME and OPPORTUNITIES that you are given. If Smith lights it up this year there are gonna be a lot of people crowing about how they knew it all along. And vice versa.

I think that he has what it takes but I know that it hasn't surfaced because of the issues involved. Only way I'll be disappointed in the kid is if he just rolls over and dies on us.

Sorry guys not my intent to turn this into a Smith thread. But if it's out there then I'll talk about it. It was out there.

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Jul 26, 2010 at 10:42 PM ]
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

Give it a rest.

-9fA

-9fA

Lombardi did say that the season depends on Smith. What more do people want? If we challenge anyone about it then we're homers or riding Smith's jock. If we don't say anything at all then we don't believe in the guy. Is there no winning on this at all?

I've been nothing but on the fence about the guy since he's been drafted. I want him to live up to his potential and nothing more. Well more would be freakin awesome. But I've never been one of those "he wasn't worth the 1st pick" kind of people. Me? I could give a Truck where you're picked. 1st or 1 hundred and 1st. You're on my team til they cut/waive/trade or retire you. I choose to root for ya unless you show you have no business wearing an NFL uniform (*ahem Barlow cough*) but I don't feel that any player play to a level commensurate with their draft position. That's complete and utter hogwash. Especially if that player is hamstrung coming out of the locker room every Sunday by the organization that drafted them.

I mean c'mon did Steve play well as a 1st rounder when he first came into the league? NO. Hell no he didn't.

It's not about that though imho. It's about what you do with the TIME and OPPORTUNITIES that you are given. If Smith lights it up this year there are gonna be a lot of people crowing about how they knew it all along. And vice versa.

I think that he has what it takes but I know that it hasn't surfaced because of the issues involved. Only way I'll be disappointed in the kid is if he just rolls over and dies on us.

Sorry guys not my intent to turn this into a Smith thread. But if it's out there then I'll talk about it. It was out there.

~Ceadder

Thanks so much for such a lucid, intelligent statement concerning Smith.

We only have a few weeks left before the start of the season. How about we wait and let Smith show us - one way or the other - what he can do with a second season under the same OC and some new (and hopefully real good) OLs?
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Give it a rest.

-9fA

Just my not so humble opinion, but if we signed McNabb I think we would of been instant Superbowl contenders, much like the Vikes last year.

McNabb's played 2 full seasons in 8 years... get over it. In the long run it's much better to see if Smith can handle it this year, then to take a chance on an injury prone vet QB learning a new system. On paper it looks like we should of gone for McNabb, but no one looks at injury history or offensive systems or age, they are just basing this crap on reputation. Just remember that his philly teams have been good enough to where an over the hill Garcia was able to step in and get them to the playoffs.

Give it a rest.

-9fA

-9fA

~Ceadder

Is that not the case with every single team in the NFL? Who would have thought that good quarterback play and a team's season go hand and hand.

My point is by not saying anything you're essentially agreeing with him. Alex ain't top 15. That pretty tells you that even our fans think he's below average.
mistake
[ Edited by MiamiNiner on Jul 27, 2010 at 1:52 PM ]

Give it a rest.

-9fA

-9fA

~Ceadder

Is that not the case with every single team in the NFL? Who would have thought that good quarterback play and a team's season go hand and hand.

My point is by not saying anything you're essentially agreeing with him. Alex ain't top 15. That pretty tells you that even our fans think he's below average.

That's what I mean. If we DON'T say anything it comes off like we agree. But I don't agree. I'm sure there are more fans like me who ALSO do not agree. But if we say anything we get shouted down or called names or told we're hugging sack.

And I disagree that Quarterback play completely determines your season. That is a factor just like anything else. Only when you have serviceable options in Protrection/Receiving/Rushing is when QB play affects your season. If you have a crap QB and everything else is solid then you will more than likely have a crap record at the end of the season. But if everything is crap, then you fix Protection FIRST and see how things shake out from there.

Yes QB is the most important position on the field. But everything else also determines what you have. Steve ran for his very life in Tampa. Cause his line was $h@t and cause he had no other choice.

Which affected his play later on with us. He wanted to run more than he wanted to Pass. When he was finally able to settle on being a QB he was a damned good one. Smith could turn out to be something more than what some fans considered him to be his 3rd season in. If he ends up being more than a 1st round Bust then I'm good with that.

~Ceadder

Give it a rest.

-9fA

-9fA

~Ceadder

That's what I mean. If we DON'T say anything it comes off like we agree. But I don't agree. I'm sure there are more fans like me who ALSO do not agree. But if we say anything we get shouted down or called names or told we're hugging sack.

And I disagree that Quarterback play completely determines your season. That is a factor just like anything else. Only when you have serviceable options in Protrection/Receiving/Rushing is when QB play affects your season. If you have a crap QB and everything else is solid then you will more than likely have a crap record at the end of the season. But if everything is crap, then you fix Protection FIRST and see how things shake out from there.

Yes QB is the most important position on the field. But everything else also determines what you have. Steve ran for his very life in Tampa. Cause his line was $h@t and cause he had no other choice.

Which affected his play later on with us. He wanted to run more than he wanted to Pass. When he was finally able to settle on being a QB he was a damned good one. Smith could turn out to be something more than what some fans considered him to be his 3rd season in. If he ends up being more than a 1st round Bust then I'm good with that.

~Ceadder

But nobody is defending him here. I don't even think our organization is convinced of it. There's a reason why he hasn't been extended yet, and it's not the upcoming labor deal.

As for Young running qb's always start off trusting their legs more than arms. Pretty much every single rushing quarterback has struggled with that during his career with or without talent.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jul 28, 2010 at 6:16 PM ]

Frank gore has been durable, is working on his forth consecutive thousand yard season and is one of the best in pass protection...what more do you want lombardi,......a 50 oz tbone steak and another portly suit.
Share 49ersWebzone