LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Joe Montana Appreciation Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I appreciate what he did for this franchise but I'll always be more of a Young fan. As Plisk was saying, I was watching Niner football with Young at the helm.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WestCoast:
he retired awhile ago buddy

And he hasn't done much to be proud of since then.
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
he retired awhile ago buddy

And he hasn't done much to be proud of since then.

He's done well investing in real estate.
I consider myself fortunate for being able to watch Joe play in our "glory years." Man, those were good times. Watching those old highlights and the replayed games on NFL network so many years later makes me really appreciate what a great player he was; and what a great team we had.
  • PYRO_LION
  • Info N/A
Too Tall Jones after The Catch: You just beat America's team!

Joe: Well now they'll be at home watching the Super Bowl with the rest of America.
you guys down playing what joe did are ridiculous. i am the first to say that steve young is my favorite QB and probably favorite football player of all time but Joe was magic. i grew up in the 90s so steve was my idol but ive seen all the superbowls and game tapes my dad had taped over the years and montana was a just magic on the field. i just like steves reckless, instinctual style more than montana's precision, surgeon style of play. Joe was the GOAT and anyone disputing that or bashing this thread about the most important player in niners history needs to go root for chokeland.
Originally posted by PYRO_LION:
Too Tall Jones after The Catch: You just beat America's team!

Joe: Well now they'll be at home watching the Super Bowl with the rest of America.

Joe = win (even though I never got to see the guy play, I still respect the man for putting us on the map and giving us his all to get us to and through the big one, 4 times).
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

thanks for those videos, I don't see how anyone can say he wasn't the best of all time. or how Jerry wasn't the best too.
His son was arrested yesterday for underage drinking.

*facepalm*
I'd appreciate it if he got them to lower the price on those skechers.

Walsh and Montana were the perfect match. I never have seen anyone execute the way Montana did. For the old-timers, remember how he would go through three or four progressions with such precision? He could beat you on the run and he could devastate you in the pocket.

I remember that MNF game against the Rams where he threw two ninety yarders to Taylor in the third quarter. I remember a game against the Eagles (and Reggie White) where he stood in the pocket and shredded their defense for four touchdowns in the second half to bring the Niners back and win the game. Like a lot of us, I could go on and on.

Honestly, of any QB who has ever played, who would you rather have under center with 2:00 minutes left and the game on the line? Who would you rather have at Quarterback in a Super Bowl?

That said, the Niners made the tough but right move when they replaced Montana with Young. For those of you who weren't following the team then you cannot imagine the emotional turmoil (well, if you have spent any time around here maybe you can) that caused among the fans. But Montana was now 34 yeard old and had sat out almost two seasons with injury. In 86 he had also been forced to sit out most of the season. Young was in his prime and his time had come.

The sad thing is that Montana seems to hold bitterness towards Young. So much so that he will not attend functions that Young shows up at. I think this is probably the main reason he seems to keep his distance from the organization. That's disappointing,

But I got to see virtually every home game he played as a Niner (including "The Catch") and I will say I have never seen a better quarterback. In any throw-back fantasy league he would be my first pick at QB. But if I couln't get Joe I wouldn't be too disappointed to take Steve.
[ Edited by BHulman on Jul 18, 2010 at 11:46 PM ]
Montana, Probably the greatest QB I have ever seen.

The four GREAT 49er QBs.
Montana
Brodie
Tittle
Young.

And for me, In that order.
He has been a putz after retiring.

If run into him 2X, 1 time I got an autograph (he was in 278 Post at the time going to his tailor at the time). When he was alone going to his tailor, I caught him on the staircase and he was aloof but gracious.

The second time was at SFO. I, like a yah hoo said "there's Joe Montana" the people around me didn't acknowledge who it was and Joe kept on going (probably in his kicks lol).

Anyway, anyone that talks bad about Joe the football player never saw him and seriously needs a history lesson. He literally was the GOAT. Did he win every game, of course not. One of my favorite games was the 83 NFC Championship, still breaks my heart. We are down 21-0 in the second half. Joe, of course, brings us back to to tie it. But for the BS pass interference calls, we would have won that game because momentum had so swung to us.

Montana was magical. You never felt out of a game with Joe. He didn't have a cannon but threw some nice long passes to Jerry. That one against the Giants where the DBs knocked each other down and we win on the last play comes to mind.

They don't call him Joe Call for nothing.

The guy came back from back surgeries to win 2 MVPs for christ sake and have one of the best runs by a QB ever.

Steve is great too but he aint no Joe.
  • dman
  • Veteran
Was this guy any good?
Originally posted by dman:
Was this guy any good?

he was meh.
Share 49ersWebzone