LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 347 users in the forums

Stop blaming Jimmy Raye so much...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
You dont have to have a fancy, intricate offense to win games in the NFL. What you need our players that can EXECUTE and master a handful of plays. All this talk about Jimmy Raye sucks and his play calling lost us games while it maybe true in some cases we need to focus on the players. A play may look bad or seem dumb because it isnt executed properly. Suddenly that 3rd and 2 run by Gore up the middle looks dumb to us when its stuffed but maybe if guys block and do their jobs it would work. How long have the Colts been running the stretch play and play action off of that? A very very long time but their coaches however arent criticized for being predictable when the whole NFL knows what they are doing. Having Manning ofcourse is a factor but I think many just follow along with things they heard someone else saying instead of forming their own opinion. Is Jimmy Raye the greatest OC hell no but he will not be the scapegoat if this team doesnt excel this season in my book. I will be looking squarely at the guys on the field ..
Good point.

"Leave Jimmy ALONE!!!"

My problem is not the simple plays that Jimmy calls. Its the fact that our offense is very predictable, and it is tough to execute a play when a defense know what is coming.
Ya Jimmy takes a lotta sh*t. Some warranted some not but fact is: WE don't get it done this year and it's HIS ass. I'm not positive but I don't think Jimmy's spent more than 2 years as an OC anywhere. Not tryin to put the boogaboo on em or nuthin but let's just say I hope him and the new line coaches are working this thing out as we speak.

I can't see us regressing though. I'm on board with what we're trying to do. Jimmy can get better at play calling just like the players can get better at execution. Meet somewhere in the middle and let's win some F'n games woop woop!
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Look at his resume, if he does better than an average job we are money ahead.
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
Considering that we changed from a power running game to a spread offense and QB's in the middle of the season with only a few days to implement it, I think this team did pretty well under those circumstances.

This years training camp will allow them to blend the running game and a legitimate passing game as well as sprinkle in some spread offense.
Raye's the best O.C. you'll see here for awhile.

-Raye's cheap

-Raye likely won't leave in a year or two to go coach the Packers or Chargers

-Raye's becoming more versatile.When running the ball doesn't work that week,instead of run, run, playaction, he goes into the ''RayeGun.'' Nothing but A.Smith Utah Shotgun passing.

-Raye did pretty well with a crappy oline last year. With two solid gargoyles as mothafu*in tanks defending A.Smith in Lupati and A.Davis, Raye and Smith can do nothing but better.
Vince Lombardi used to say that you can tell a defense which play you are going to run, and if you execute it perfectly they can't stop you.

Originally posted by BobS:
Look at his resume, if he does better than an average job we are money ahead.

Hey Bob, did you look at his resume? Did you notice what he was able to do with Elvis Grbac and no receivers, not to mention a fullback as the focus of the running game? If he can get that kind of production out of our players, we should have some pro bowlers come January.
Originally posted by hubbyt:
You dont have to have a fancy, intricate offense to win games in the NFL. What you need our players that can EXECUTE and master a handful of plays. All this talk about Jimmy Raye sucks and his play calling lost us games while it maybe true in some cases we need to focus on the players. A play may look bad or seem dumb because it isnt executed properly. Suddenly that 3rd and 2 run by Gore up the middle looks dumb to us when its stuffed but maybe if guys block and do their jobs it would work. How long have the Colts been running the stretch play and play action off of that? A very very long time but their coaches however arent criticized for being predictable when the whole NFL knows what they are doing. Having Manning ofcourse is a factor but I think many just follow along with things they heard someone else saying instead of forming their own opinion. Is Jimmy Raye the greatest OC hell no but he will not be the scapegoat if this team doesnt excel this season in my book. I will be looking squarely at the guys on the field ..

If we fail again this season it's a philosophy problem more than anything else. We have the defense to be competitve, but ever since Nolan came along we've been trying to be Baltimore's ugly step sister. Finally we wised up and got a line, so I don't see anymore excuses. This is the team we wanted all along. If it doesn't work it's time to look somewhere else.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jul 17, 2010 at 10:01 AM ]
As niner fans its easy to complain about coaching simply for the fact that we are so used to being the innovators of the league that everyone tried to emulate. However it doesn't mean its the only way to win. The problem with our scheme last year was we didn't have the proper personnel to execute the type of offense. How can you impose your will upon opposing defenses if your o-line can't even push forward a yard? Now I'm not claiming that Jimmy Raye is going to take us to a superbowl because of his scheme alone, but we got the right personnel now for his scheme and at the very least let him have a season with the right crew before you cast him aside.
Well, I think it all comes down to balance.Even with Iupati and Davis we are not going to be able to line up in the power I and pound away with Gore. Gore will end up getting hurt and be ineffective. If Raye is able to integrate the passing offense with the smashmouth running plays both he and Singletary enjoy than our offense will be successful provided the players execute. Raye takes alot of crap but he brings alot of that on himself with his stubborness at times.
why not he only calls the plays
Share 49ersWebzone