LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

Minimum Expectations

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It depends on who we lost to in the playoffs and how we lost. If we lost by 30+ points to anyone, I'd be thoroughly dissapointed. If we lost by a TD or FG to a very good tam like the Saints, I'd be disappointed we lost but feel good about our progress.
Footballoutsiders.com has the 9ers pegged at 6-10, with the Cards winning the division. Hardly "roaring" into the playoffs, but then of course they are never right.
Originally posted by ClassicNiner:
Footballoutsiders.com has the 9ers pegged at 6-10, with the Cards winning the division. Hardly "roaring" into the playoffs, but then of course they are never right.

Thats why they are on the "outside" looking in....

so..we are going to be alot worse than last season...with a better football team as a whole????
[ Edited by GORE-ILLA on Jul 17, 2010 at 11:22 AM ]
Originally posted by GORE-ILLA:

so..we are going to be alot worse than last season...with a better football team as a whole????

That's just the point. They seem to think we got some lucky breaks last year, and really aren't that good. They don't have much respect for Alex Smith or Singletary. I can't say that I agree with them, but at least it's a different perspective from the near uniform optimism in this thread.

That's just the point. They seem to think we got some lucky breaks last year, and really aren't that good. They don't have much respect for Alex Smith or Singletary. I can't say that I agree with them, but at least it's a different perspective from the near uniform optimism in this thread.

i dont buy it..Sing is on the rise..so is this team..if it wasn't for some UNlucky breaks(if you will)...they would be jocking this team right now

i dont buy it..Sing is on the rise..so is this team..if it wasn't for some UNlucky breaks(if you will)...they would be jocking this team right now

You maybe right. I'm not arguin' with you. Just tellin' you what they say. They pick the Ravens to win the Super Bowl, and they haven't got that right since 2004.

You maybe right. I'm not arguin' with you. Just tellin' you what they say. They pick the Ravens to win the Super Bowl, and they haven't got that right since 2004.

for sure..i was arguing w footballoutsiders.com not u...they obviously diddn't watch the vikes and colts games last season...seems like they are going off just W/L and making bs predictions
[ Edited by GORE-ILLA on Jul 17, 2010 at 11:41 AM ]

for sure..i was arguing w footballoutsiders.com not u...they obviously diddn't watch the vikes and colts game last season...seems like they are going off just W/L and making bs predictions

They actually use complicated statistical formulas that include the results of each play throughout the season. It doesn't seem to get them to more accurate conclusions than anyone else, but their almanac is interesting to read. You can download it from their website for $12. It also gives their listing of fantasy players. During the season they rank teams every week, again using their own stats. You could say that they are interesting, but not necessarily helpful. I was disappointed that they didn't rank the 9ers higher for this year, and I sure hope they are wrong.

for sure..i was arguing w footballoutsiders.com not u...they obviously diddn't watch the vikes and colts game last season...seems like they are going off just W/L and making bs predictions

They actually use complicated statistical formulas that include the results of each play throughout the season. It doesn't seem to get them to more accurate conclusions than anyone else, but their almanac is interesting to read. You can download it from their website for $12. It also gives their listing of fantasy players. During the season they rank teams every week, again using their own stats. You could say that they are interesting, but not necessarily helpful. I was disappointed that they didn't rank the 9ers higher for this year, and I sure hope they are wrong.

well thats sh*tty news.lol. i hope they are wrong also...we have the best D in our division...prolly top 5 in the NFL. that alone should get us at 6-10...dont you think?

Great post Oakland-Niner, I completely agree. The defense should be top-10 easily at this point and our offense has all the tools to be top-15. We should easily have the division and be able to beat the wild-card team we face. If not, this season is a failure imo. We should have been a consistent playoff team a few years ago, we're already behind schedule. I like singletary and I like the way the players respond to him. I don't think Jimmy Raye is the guy and I don't think Alex is either. I sincerely hope that I'm proven wrong but if we don't make the playoffs it's tine for some heads to roll.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Season Record: 9-7 or better
QB (Smith): 3500yd 23TD 15Int
RB (Gore): 1300yd 6TD 400yd rec 2TD
WR (Crabtree): 1050yd 7TD
TE (Davis): 850yd 8TD

Defense: +5 Turnover Differential

Probowlers:
Gore, V.Davis, P.Willis, M.Lawson, C.Rachal

First Round Playoffs: Win vs. Minn/GB (who ever is the wild card). Both those teams would be sweet, sweet revenge.

Then we don't have the combination of QB play (yet) and Coaching prowess to go further.

Overall, a successful season that awards every major coach and player extensions (minus M.Lawson and A.Franklin).

Do you always have to be so vague...

well thats sh*tty news.lol. i hope they are wrong also...we have the best D in our division...prolly top 5 in the NFL. that alone should get us at 6-10...dont you think?

By their metrics our D was 3rd best in the league last year but they don't think it will be quite as good this time. They expect regression to the mean in our turnover ratio which was exceptionally good last year at 33-18. They pose the question "Do we really think that Ahmed Brooks, who forced 1 fumble from 2006-2009 will force 5 again, in a 4-game stretch no less?" Our D had no key injuries last year, unless you count Nate Clements, whom they think is over-rated. Their summary blurb for the whole team is "After another front-office overhaul, a myopic return to "fundamentals" could bring disappointing results." Again, not saying I agree, but that's their opinion.

By their metrics our D was 3rd best in the league last year but they don't think it will be quite as good this time. They expect regression to the mean in our turnover ratio which was exceptionally good last year at 33-18. They pose the question "Do we really think that Ahmed Brooks, who forced 1 fumble from 2006-2009 will force 5 again, in a 4-game stretch no less?" Our D had no key injuries last year, unless you count Nate Clements, whom they think is over-rated. Their summary blurb for the whole team is "After another front-office overhaul, a myopic return to "fundamentals" could bring disappointing results." Again, not saying I agree, but that's their opinion.

that is an awfully pecimistic way to look at it...i know some raider fans who hate the niners and THEY put us higher than that...if thats not an OUTSIDERS p.o.v... then I dont know what is

that is an awfully pecimistic way to look at it...i know some raider fans who hate the niners and THEY put us higher than that...if thats not an OUTSIDERS p.o.v... then I dont know what is

If it makes you feel better, they predict the Raiders will get 4.5 wins and call that team a farce.
Share 49ersWebzone