There are 255 users in the forums

Minimum Expectations

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by crazzyscotsman:
hmmmmmmmmm ide rather scrape into playoffs and go to superbowl than blast away all oponants in reg season and get beat soon as we play playoffs

*cough* chargers
I hear ya dude, BIG TIME! Just for the record, I'm a huge Smitty defender and this year there's no excuses.

While changing our line coaches may be exactly the excuse some people may be looking for to say "ya but..." it's make a poop or get off the F'n pot time (probably not the best analogy). Having said that, I believe 100% that we made the right moves bringing in Solari and Brown. I've already said this in another post but I loved KC's line when Solari was there and not a lot of people have done it better or longer than Ray Brown. These 2 are a huge upgrade in my eyes and I expect the best from them. They've been scheming together since Feb. and I expect us to hit the ground running if the guys show up to camp in shape.

I'm not sure people are ok with merely showing our faces in the 1st rd. but if they are I think that's loser talk. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect or even predict that we'll be playing our best ball going into the playoffs. That's what you try to do. Now let's assume we're playing our best ball going into the playoffs; why is it such a stretch for people to think we can make it to the show??? Cards did it and we KNOW we own them.

But I think I picked up a little "blow it the F up if it doesn't work" in your OP (or maybe you said it outright, I can't remember). That's the absolute last thing I wanna see. Not again. I'm tired of rolling the dice hoping do hit the jack pot on a system working. There's a time to take your medicine and work for it and that's where I think we're at.
hmmmmmmmmm ide rather scrape into playoffs and go to superbowl than blast away all oponants in reg season and get beat soon as we play playoffs

Obviouslly. What fan wouldn't. My point is I just need to be convinced by the end of the season that we've built the right team. They can either show me by sneaking into the playoffs and making a deep run, or running over teams in the reg season and getting bounced in the first. The bottom line: Dont tell me, show me. I need something to believe in.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jul 16, 2010 at 12:29 PM ]
what im saying is reg season does not matter as long as you do what you need to do to get to playoffs there is no point showing everyone all your goods in reg season and not saving anything new for playoffs
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Obviouslly. What fan wouldn't. My point is I just need to be convinced by the end of the season that we've built the right team. They can either show me by sneaking into the playoffs and making a deep run, or running over teams in the reg season and getting bounced in the first. The bottom line: Dont tell me, show me. I need something to believe in.

believe in our return to the elite, and believe in the sixth coming real soon.
Originally posted by NatralBrnThrila:
I hear ya dude, BIG TIME! Just for the record, I'm a huge Smitty defender and this year there's no excuses.

While changing our line coaches may be exactly the excuse some people may be looking for to say "ya but..." it's make a poop or get off the F'n pot time (probably not the best analogy). Having said that, I believe 100% that we made the right moves bringing in Solari and Brown. I've already said this in another post but I loved KC's line when Solari was there and not a lot of people have done it better or longer than Ray Brown. These 2 are a huge upgrade in my eyes and I expect the best from them. They've been scheming together since Feb. and I expect us to hit the ground running if the guys show up to camp in shape.

I'm not sure people are ok with merely showing our faces in the 1st rd. but if they are I think that's loser talk. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect or even predict that we'll be playing our best ball going into the playoffs. That's what you try to do. Now let's assume we're playing our best ball going into the playoffs; why is it such a stretch for people to think we can make it to the show??? Cards did it and we KNOW we own them.

But I think I picked up a little "blow it the F up if it doesn't work" in your OP (or maybe you said it outright, I can't remember). That's the absolute last thing I wanna see. Not again. I'm tired of rolling the dice hoping do hit the jack pot on a system working. There's a time to take your medicine and work for it and that's where I think we're at.

Good post.

I think you did pick up a little of that, but that's just the emotional side of things. I know that would be a bad move. However, with the precieved talent we currently have (key word being percieved) I do think you would need to consider bring in a new HC and OC and while we are at it, we might as well move on from Smith since we know he would be "nonfunctional" for another dam season...

I do think you would need to consider bring in a new HC and OC and while we are at it, we might as well move on from Smith since we know he would be "nonfunctional" for another dam season...

hmmmmm your talking bout a nother total rebuild i guess you dont mind waiting nother 3 years minimum to get to playoffs

sing has done nothing wrong do you really think this team has built its self who do you think gets the best outta the players ? there fairy god mother and last comment shows you up as yet another smith hater i believe in smith personally and think its his year so if we get to playoffs and lose youl blame smith yet again nothing to do with rest of offence

I do think you would need to consider bring in a new HC and OC and while we are at it, we might as well move on from Smith since we know he would be "nonfunctional" for another dam season...

hmmmmm your talking bout a nother total rebuild i guess you dont mind waiting nother 3 years minimum to get to playoffs

sing has done nothing wrong do you really think this team has built its self who do you think gets the best outta the players ? there fairy god mother and last comment shows you up as yet another smith hater i believe in smith personally and think its his year so if we get to playoffs and lose youl blame smith yet again nothing to do with rest of offence

I dont know why everyone is so brain washed to believe that a new head coach can't win if he has the talent on the team? Thats BS.

Sing has done nothing wrong. I like him. However, he and Jimmy need to show that they can come up with a comprehensive game plan for opponents. I dont want to see anymore predictability. We have talent, so what is the excuse?

I like Alex. I think he can do the job. I would be very suprised if he didn't do VERY WELL this season. However, we all know that learning a new offense is not is strong point. If we changed HC/OC why keep him? It might be better for the team to get a fresh start. He is not the kind of player you want when things are in flux.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jul 16, 2010 at 1:04 PM ]

Good post.

I think you did pick up a little of that, but that's just the emotional side of things. I know that would be a bad move. However, with the precieved talent we currently have (key word being percieved) I do think you would need to consider bring in a new HC and OC and while we are at it, we might as well move on from Smith since we know he would be "nonfunctional" for another dam season...

Alex has every advantage over his back-up this year but if Carr beats em out and we do "ok" again lol!... There's another excuse to keep the vicious cycle going..."But Carr hasn't had a fair shake" That's me quoting me by the way.

No end in sight dude, we HAVE to do it this year or we could be talking about this sh*t for another 7 years.

Speaking of vicious cycles; is there a way to circumvent repeatedly quoting previous quotes aside from erasing text? I was trying to quote your response last time but I dicked it up.
[ Edited by NatralBrnThrila on Jul 16, 2010 at 1:14 PM ]

I dont know why everyone is so brain washed to believe that a new head coach can't win if he has the talent on the team? Thats BS.

Sing has done nothing wrong. I like him. However, he and Jimmy need to show that they can come up with a comprehensive game plan for opponents. I dont want to see anymore predictability. We have talent, so what is the excuse?

I like Alex. I think he can do the job. I would be very suprised if he didn't do VERY WELL this season. However, we all know that learning a new offense is not is strong point. If we changed HC/OC why keep him? It might be better for the team to get a fresh start. He is not the kind of player you want when things are in flux.

oh and your right alex be gone enda season its his last years contract and if yer prediction right alot players that will be outa contract will be gone too new team will want to bring in there own players so it be yet another 3-7 years rebuild then
[ Edited by crazzyscotsman on Jul 16, 2010 at 1:21 PM ]

• Jiks
-Improved special teams play. Also hopeful that Shotty will help. (field posession, and less critical turnovers)
-Improved Oline and line coaches
-Improved WR Corps. The addition of Ginn, and a full off season with Crabtree
-Improved secondary. I believe Taylor Mays will make an impact sometime this season, and possibly be a great asset. With him and D. Goldson I think our secondary will be an upgrade. Not to mention the return of N. Clements, and the hopeful continual emergence of Spencer.
-A solid structure for the first time in 8 years. We haven't had the same coach with the same OC, with the same QB since Garcia. Since then it's been Rattay, Dorsey, JTO, Dilfer, Hill, Weinke, Pickett, and Smith. This is the first time we will have an offense that is constant and has a solid foundation. I don't believe some people see the full the importance in this. The offense should benefit greatly from Oline, to RB, to QB, to WR's knowing exactly where to be, and having the timing down. The offense should be far more balanced, and have far more tricks and plays up their sleeve. Last season, the offense was everywhere. We had no identity what-so-ever besides our inconsistancy. I fully expect that to be much improved as well.

Everyone agrees that this is it. This is finally the year that we have all the pieces in place to turn that 8-8 into a winning record and make a playoff push. About the playoff run, I myself would rather see us set for the next few years at all positions. If we make the playoffs and get beat first round, it all depends on if we have our QB position and others figured out. If we make the playoffs and still have the question marks we have today, it will be another long off-season. We just need to improve and finally get set. That right there is the important part of this season. Still anything less than a playoff game, and it should and will be a huge dissapointment.
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Jul 16, 2010 at 1:23 PM ]
If we get into the playoffs, anything can happen. Look what the Tards did a couple years back.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I for one am sick of the ''Blame the O-line" cop out! Look the line was bad because the coaching, play calling, and over all game planning was HORRIBLE! The O-line wasn't as bad as the coaching! This team UNDER achieved last year, and I fully expect to be let down by this coaching staffs lack of talent! 8-8 was a joke last year and we will be about the same this year, we have marginally better talent going into this season, but the same crappy game planning and play calling will KILL this teams chances! 9, or 10 wins at best, IF teams over look us. This coaching staff CAN NOT steal wins! It can barley get the GIMMIES!

Sorry I know it is the off season and I should (and generally do) drink the Kool-Ade!

Blaming the o line is legit when they cannot block long enough for the QB to take his drop, or open a hole for the back when all we need is one yard. Our o line was terrible, the stats back it up, they should benefit from having the same offense two years in a row, but there is no way saying they sucked last year is a cop out by any stretch of the imagination.
You might be setting up yourself for disappointment then Oakland-Niner.

We haven't been to the playoffs in 8 years and yes, while the division is ours for the taking, there's still a lot of things that have to click for us to come out on top.

If we don't "roar into the playoffs", I personally won't be disappointed. IMO, you have to take little steps to get to the ultimate prize.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
You might be setting up yourself for disappointment then Oakland-Niner.

We haven't been to the playoffs in 8 years and yes, while the division is ours for the taking, there's still a lot of things that have to click for us to come out on top.

If we don't "roar into the playoffs", I personally won't be disappointed. IMO, you have to take little steps to get to the ultimate prize.

-9fA

ive already got my bet on for winning superbowl put £9 on at 33/1 i beliveeeeeeeee have faith and btw no one had saints winning superbowl last year at this time anything can happen
Share 49ersWebzone